Bay grass stealing, oyster and crab eating, mud making.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Stingrays! It's on baby.......had to work hard for them in this wind but managed a few.

IMG00261-20130525-1703_zps043860e9.jpg

jdoug27

May 18, 2013
    I remember when i was younger, the Asian crowd at the pier would cut the wings off and throw the rest back. They cooked then like scallops.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    That's what they use for fake crabmeat and scallops in cheaper food and prepared foods. According to my wife.
    nah! Skate is used as imitation scallops(bay scallops). Usually crab meat is cut with bluefish. It would break your heart if you knew how little crabmeat is in a fancy crabcake from a restaurant. Phillips crab meat isn't even from America anymore.

These are cow nosed rays! Skate and rays are in completely separate sub species from each other. Look forward to a moratorium on skate soon as they are being over fished and their food is being stolen by these nasty critters. Been killing them since I could ride a bike to the river.

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    Sounds fun. When I was a kid I had deep fried skate that we caught in Toms Cove Va and it wasn't bad. Then again, you could probably make a deep fried turd taste good with the right seasoning. What kind of rig are you using?

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Sounds fun. When I was a kid I had deep fried skate that we caught in Toms Cove Va and it wasn't bad. Then again, you could probably make a deep fried turd taste good with the right seasoning. What kind of rig are you using?
    lol... Amen to that! I really don't think they taste that good deep fried either! I am using one of my old hunting bows and an AMS retriever big game. I finished redoing my lights last night and took it for a test run but forgot to take pics of it all. I said I would on another thread so I will try to get pics of everything in the daylight and at night this week.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    I used this

Skate with Brown Butter and Honey

Chef: Mark Bittman

Makes: 4 servings
    Time: 20 minutes

Poaching skate is a classic French technique but, like James, I prefer saut�ing. Unlike James, I never thought of making the brown butter that typically accompanies it even sweeter by using honey, but I've also never been above appropriating a good idea, and I do think my simpler version captures some of the spirit of James's more elegant (and more complicated) dish.

Flour, for dredging
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 (12-ounce) skinless skate wing fillets
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
    1/2 cup honey
    2 tablespoons capers, drained, or to taste
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish

1. Put a large skillet over medium-high heat. While it is heating, put the flour on a plate and season it with salt and pepper. Put the oil in the skillet it should coat the bottom well and turn the heat to high. When the oil shimmers, dredge the skate lightly in the flour, shaking to remove the excess, and add it to the pan. (You may have to cook in batches; if so, keep the skate warm in a low oven while preparing the sauce.)

2. Cook until the skate is nicely browned on the first side, about 5 minutes, then turn (use 2 spatulas if necessary to keep the skate from breaking). Cook on the second side, adjusting the heat so the fish does not burn, until it is firm to the touch, another 3 minutes or so. Reduce the heat to medium and transfer the skate to a warm platter.

3. Add the butter and honey to the pan and cook until bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the capers and swirl them around, then pour the butter over the fish. Immediately add the vinegar to the pan that the butter was in, swirl it around, and pour it over the fish. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.

I did strips instead of fillet. Had my kids try some with a toothpick and hardly any made it to the table. They wolfed it down right out of the pan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom