• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Got a lot of rounds through it?

I’d bet BCA doesn’t use any grease on the upper threads, so it could very well be seized.

Got the rifle properly secured via reaction rod or upper receiver clamps?

Sorry about your troubles, but I’m not surprised when it comes to anything BCA puts out.

Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I have mabye 50 to 60 round through it. I tried freezing it , no luck. I tried heat , no luck. But I did get it off. But it spun the barrel pin in the extension. Last thing I ever buy from Bear Creek!

Attachments

• 20220412_203705.jpg
      20220412_203705.jpg
      229.7 KB · Views: 89
    • 20220412_203732.jpg
      20220412_203732.jpg
      207.5 KB · Views: 91

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    The Mid West Industries URR is the tool to use to prevent it from spinning. At least it was a Bear Creak and not something nicer.
    This is a great tool for every situation.

I don't know why the OP is blaming Bear Creek for the damage. When you are putting force on the upper you need to secure the upper. If you put force on the barrel you need to secure the barrel.

BCA makes crappy stuff but if you have the right tools that could have been disassembled without issue.

Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019
    This is a great tool for every situation.

I don't know why the OP is blaming Bear Creek for the damage. When you are putting force on the upper you need to secure the upper. If you put force on the barrel you need to secure the barrel.

BCA makes crappy stuff but if you have the right tools that could have been disassembled without issue.

Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019
    I had a SRR . And I'm not blaming anyone for the damage that is on me . I'm blaming Bear Creek for over torqueing. Standard torque is 35 to 80 ft lbs, and this one was way over that . And this is not the first time I've seen problems with Bear Creek products come thru the shop .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So help me out here. Was the upper already like that or did that damage occur during the loosening of the barrel nut? The reason I ask is because it appears that the damage was done by the over-tightening, either when the barrel was installed or during the attempt to loosen it going the wrong way.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I had a SRR . And I'm not blaming anyone for the damage that is on me . I'm blaming Bear Creek for over torqueing. Standard torque is 35 to 80 ft lbs, and this one was way over that . And this is not the first time I've seen problems with Bear Creek products come thru the shop .
    Ok. But damage can happen even at that upper limit. Normally the index pin will break but in this case it damaged the upper.

Not defending BCA and you're right, they do a crap job. Just saying get the right tools and you can minimize the problem.

I had a situation where a barrel nut was so tight I had to use a breaker bar. No damage.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So it looks like the issue may not have been the amount of torque, but rather the fact that the barrel extension was fused to the barrel nut. Otherwise, why would it have turned?

Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019
    So it looks like the issue may not have been the amount of torque, but rather the fact that the barrel extension was fused to the barrel nut. Otherwise, why would it have turned?
    Ok. But damage can happen even at that upper limit. Normally the index pin will break but in this case it damaged the upper.

Not defending BCA and you're right, they do a crap job. Just saying get the right tools and you can minimize the problem.

I had a situation where a barrel nut was so tight I had to use a breaker bar. No damage.
    Lesson learned. I ordered a URR so now I'll have both.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Proper tools are important but proper techniques/procedures are more important.

The barrel and upper threads look dry. When a barrel nut is stuck, penetrating oil and heat should be used, but don't get the upper too hot.

Bedding a barrel won't cause the damage seen. I don't see bedding material anyway.

Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019
    I wonder if this is a risk of barrel bedding with Loctite. What was the condition of the barrel extension once you finally got the barrel removed?
    Extension was dry no loc tite or rock set, a tiny bit of corrosion at the band but not enough to lock it. I have removed alot of barrel nut some easy some not so much. But I have never ever had one locked this tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom