• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cww

Jan 28, 2010
    We have a good crop of acorns but for whatever reason they aren’t swarming them. Still hitting the beans it seems but then again getting out has been a problem this season so far.
    4 times out, passed on 6 bucks so far but all 2 1/2 or younger and a few small doe, shot opportunities but just not the right deer or situation. Did finally get a nice sized doe with the ML on Tuesday.

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    This one was last Sunday night.
    Method was bow and arrow here in the county.
    Chasing nudging some does around already in a transition area with some late beans nearby.
    Half a typical maybe? IDk.
    Must have got busted in the nugget at one time or another to wind up with
    nasty headgear as such. Was liable to poke his own eye out or get stuck to a tree somewhere and just
    die off.
    Woah, highly unusual deformations...

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Did you slice the front of its neck open?
    No, never do. When I field dress, I stop at the bottom of the rib cage, and that one didn't get gutted until I got it out of the swamp anyway - keep it clean inside. That pic is where it fell. All the blood that made the trail was being blown out it's nose and mouth and went down the front of the animal.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I finally made it out this morning, sitting in the stand over my clover plot. A little 4pt just spent 10 minutes grazing through, I have the Xbow also but he's too small to take. Waiting on the bigger does to come out, my wife says we're out of deer bologna.

Attachments

• 20231028_071213.jpg
      20231028_071213.jpg
      240.7 KB · Views: 57
    • 20231028_073703.jpg
      20231028_073703.jpg
      244.2 KB · Views: 57

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    For the first time since the early BP season was established, I got skunked. I passed on two small bucks and didnt have any does within range.
    Because of work and family obligations , I only had 3 days to hunt.
    Still have plenty of time to fill the freezer tho.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Rule of thumb, the first one goes into the freezer.

Then one can afford to be choosier.

Otherwise, the freezer could remain empty.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Rule of thumb, the first one goes into the freezer.

Then one can afford to be choosier.

Otherwise, the freezer could remain empty.
    I think I went to mid December without a deer. That was last year. I ended up only taking a young doe the entire season.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I think I went to mid December without a deer. That was last year. I ended up only taking a young doe the entire season.
    We all have had lean years.

I learned the hard way, passing on that October doe in bow season might mean nothing goes into the freezer for that year.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I always wait until after the rut to doe hunt. Last year that proved to be a mistake but I did get a buck so there was still meat in the freezer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I always wait until after the rut to doe hunt. Last year that proved to be a mistake but I did get a buck so there was still meat in the freezer.
    That's how I am.
    The place I hunt is loaded with does. My buddy and I have always laid off them until second week of firearms season.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    The little 4 point came back this evening, looking closer he's got 2 little nubbins on each antler so he's almost a 6. Another deer was further back in the woods, I could see it moving but it never came out. We can hunt tomorrow here in Harford so I'll go out again in the morning if it's not raining

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Seems normal to me for late October - Balto County and beltway
    Yup. Fawns are getting longer leashes from their mothers this time of year. They are the first casualties of fall.
    Next(and soon), we'll see a lot of spikes dead along side of the road. They're chasing their mothers and sibling sisters. That will mark the beginning, which is any day now.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That is my rule too, excepting fawns. At least for now, since we are talking usually bow or early ML, the first deer goes to the butcher. If I am spending a butchering fee, I want the deer to be big enough to be worth that cost. If I can get 30+ pounds of meat back for $90-100, that is a much better deal than 20 pounds off a fawn, no matter how much more tender that fawn is.

Of course, the occasional button buck gets harvested "by accident", but later season they are close enough in size to a yearling doe...plus later season once into December, it is cold enough I can butcher them myself.

That way also I don't feel pressure and I can try to be much choosier and try to wait for "the big guy". Now, most years that didn't mean diddly and I ended up with 3 does, a couple of does and a button buck in the freezer. But, meh. I've gotten some decent bucks in there too, even if few have been monsters.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    That is my rule too, excepting fawns. At least for now, since we are talking usually bow or early ML, the first deer goes to the butcher. If I am spending a butchering fee, I want the deer to be big enough to be worth that cost. If I can get 30+ pounds of meat back for $90-100, that is a much better deal than 20 pounds off a fawn, no matter how much more tender that fawn is.

Of course, the occasional button buck gets harvested "by accident", but later season they are close enough in size to a yearling doe...plus later season once into December, it is cold enough I can butcher them myself.

That way also I don't feel pressure and I can try to be much choosier and try to wait for "the big guy". Now, most years that didn't mean diddly and I ended up with 3 does, a couple of does and a button buck in the freezer. But, meh. I've gotten some decent bucks in there too, even if few have been monsters.
    I wasnt opposedto them in MD as there are really lots deer there, but yeah needs to be worth taking in to me. Granted I'd shoot a nice buck if i had chance but rather shoot nice big doe for meat. I know some people are trophy hunters only but we like venison.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    ^
    I will take a full belly over a hat rack any day.

Looking at next weeks weather, it's finally going to be cooling off, so the deer should be moving more.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    I shot one of those accidental button bucks (and a doe) with my bow yesterday AM. Donated the button to farmers and hunters feeding the hungry, does quartered in a cooler at home.
    Screenshot_20231028-084754.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom