• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Total opposite here in Frederick County. We are hunting a farm where they want the heard thinned, big time. We are hunting corn and bean fields, which should fatten them up easily. All the deer we’ve taking off this property have been the least fatty I’ve seen in a long time.
    Not sure about Fredrick Co,but where I hunt in Carroll Co, there are very few acorns this year. I shot one doe and one buck, and hardly any fat on them. I bet the absence of acorns is the reason.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Not sure about Fredrick Co,but where I hunt in Carroll Co, there are very few acorns this year. I shot one doe and one buck, and hardly any fat on them. I bet the absence of acorns is the reason.
    I agree with you. Small crop of acorns and beechnuts this year. Now last year was a mast crop. Grounds were covered with acorns and nuts.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I’ve got three days left total for gun season and then I’m out of time until late muzzie. I’ve been pretty well and skunked (except for the 8 point I would have harvested but for my thermal batteries dying). Fingers crossed for tomorrow; good luck to all and congrats to those with the recent harvests.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I’ve got three days left total for gun season and then I’m out of time until late muzzie. I’ve been pretty well and skunked (except for the 8 point I would have harvested but for my thermal batteries dying). Fingers crossed for tomorrow; good luck to all and congrats to those with the recent harvests.
    Put a backup sight on that!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I got the trail cam pic then saw this on FB. Deer absorbed its twin, happens in humans as well, often giving two DNA's to one person. I think my doe has Fibroma. My niece is passing up beautiful 6 pointers waiting for more. Her father would clear the field but she has been hanging with me since he passed and is becoming quite the hunter.

Attachments

• Deerdeform2.JPG
      Deerdeform2.JPG
      312.3 KB · Views: 99
    • Deerdeformed.jpg
      Deerdeformed.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 96

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Had nothing but buttons and fawns on cameras last week or so. Suddenly I get the entire bacherlor herd for the zipcode camping out - all night. A few of them seem to have discovered how to hit the spin plate on my feeder for extra treats.

Attachments

• T__00138.JPG
      T__00138.JPG
      14.9 KB · Views: 55
    • T__00102.JPG
      T__00102.JPG
      14.8 KB · Views: 51
    • T__00088.JPG
      T__00088.JPG
      16.1 KB · Views: 51

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    This buck appeared about 1 hour before last light. He walked out of thick forest and into a field, and then started to absolutely sprint at a full gallop. The field was about 200 yards across and I was hunting with a .270 scoped rifle, so I had to make a quick decision. I won't shoot at a running deer, so I yelled out "HEY YOU!!!" That made him stop long enough for me to take a shot from about 130 yards, making it by far my longest ever shot attempt. There was zero blood but with the way he kicked, followed by the sound of a crash, I was pretty sure he was down. Still, with the long shot and not finding any blood at all, I was second-guessing myself big time. He only ran about 50 yards but it still took some searching to find him in a thicket and took me even longer to get all the burs off my suit. He's at the taxidermist now. This was a thrilling hunt and I was beyond relieved to find him.

Attachments

• buck down 2.jpg
      buck down 2.jpg
      343.8 KB · Views: 68
    • Buck Down 2022.jpg
      Buck Down 2022.jpg
      710 KB · Views: 68

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter
    This buck appeared about 1 hour before last light. He walked out of thick forest and into a field, and then started to absolutely sprint at a full gallop. The field was about 200 yards across and I was hunting with a .270 scoped rifle, so I had to make a quick decision. I won't shoot at a running deer, so I yelled out "HEY YOU!!!" That made him stop long enough for me to take a shot from about 130 yards, making it by far my longest ever shot attempt. There was zero blood but with the way he kicked, followed by the sound of a crash, I was pretty sure he was down. Still, with the long shot and not finding any blood at all, I was second-guessing myself big time. He only ran about 50 yards but it still took some searching to find him in a thicket and took me even longer to get all the burs off my suit. He's at the taxidermist now. This was a thrilling hunt and I was beyond relieved to find him.
    Congrats H! Where were you hunting?

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter
    I got the trail cam pic then saw this on FB. Deer absorbed its twin, happens in humans as well, often giving two DNA's to one person. I think my doe has Fibroma. My niece is passing up beautiful 6 pointers waiting for more. Her father would clear the field but she has been hanging with me since he passed and is becoming quite the hunter.
    Cool example of a parasitic twin. I'd have to life size mount that. Sell it to Ripley's.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Congrats H! Where were you hunting?
    Good question -- I should have mentioned this was in South Carolina. I'll be hunting in St. Mary's county Friday and Saturday...I took two does in Virginia already. I'm hoping to get one more deer this year so I can feed my family venison a few times a week all year.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Nice buck and a great story, thanks and congrats!

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Cool. Were you able to take any off your own property this year?
    Not yet. I had one miss with an arrow, which hurts to even think about...but that's hunting. I've got some nice deer on trail cam but none have come in when I sat in the stand and I've been passing on does. The two in VA were at a friend's place. The deer coming through my property have mostly gone nocturnal (at least when they're here) so I'm waiting for some snow or other weather event before I go sit in the stand again.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Crazy
    nice, congrats!

Great deer
    You know some woke dude is going to give you shyt for black face
    Im sure they will be offended by all the dead deer

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom