• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    FYI: What I just learned yesterday from John Lott, and I'll assume he is correct, but Dylan Klebold actually lobbied the Colorado state legislature against the concealed carry bill (specifically guns by licensed people in schools). The act he and Harris committed happened on the exact day of final passage of the Colorado Carry Law.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    If we put more emphasis on the mental health aspect and take the focus off of 'assault weapons' and mag capacity we may be able to change the dialogue and public discourse toward something that will provide a more effective solution to the problem.

Each of the last 4-5 mass shootings, and perhaps many more, were committed by mentally challenged individuals...
    What if we instead put the emphasis on self defense?

Sandy Hook and the Aurora CO shootings were "gun free" zones.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Be careful where you go with that. The antis would like nothing more than to get into the privacy of the 20-40% of the gun owning population who are likely in some kind of therapy right now and split up the pro-gun movement that way. There is no correlation between mental illness in general and violent behavior.

One can argue that there is no correlation between mental illness and violent behavior yet incidents of violent behavior almost always seem to involve (IMHO) some form of mental illness. Making the choice to use violence to solve a personal struggle generally indicates some kind of mental disconnect.

And as far as the SSRI's contributing to violent behavior, it's just my opinion but I think most of the accusations made in that arena are a bunch of baloney made up mainly by trial lawyers and their minions, and perpetuated by internet conspiracy theories. There is a little bit of evidence that they can in some cases, reduce inhibitions towards aggressiveness, a little bit. Not much else. They're a much more mild class of drugs than things like say, Lithium, or MAOI inhibitors. Which is why they are widely prescribed. Take the guns away from everyone taking a mild SSRI and I hope you have a plan for how to staff a lot of vacancies on the police forces.

With all due respect sir - not trying to argue but to clarify, please go back and review my post. Perhaps you replied before I finished gathering and posting everything.

Look at the list. And regarding protecting law enforcement officers who may be taking SSRI's jobs, I don't think that is an issue here. Dead children is the issue. Trying to prevent similar tragedies. That and retaining the rights of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms.

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    I'm new to the forum, but after reading this one part of it stood out to me more than anything else.

"There is no reason anyone needs to have a Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle," said Raskin, who plans to introduce the ban when the annual 90-day legislative session opens Jan. 9. "That is just a killing machine. We can get rid of military-style assault weapons in civil society without infringing on anyone's Second Amendment rights."

Isn't this a contridiction in terms? Don't they know that most weapons now are directly from the military? I don't understand why our government state and federal can't focus on things that will actuatly help instead of just kick the hornets nest.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Not to mention the assault weapons ban in Connecticut, the state where this shooting took place. Why is no one on the news pointing this out???????:banghead::banghead::banghead:
    In truth, I've seen it noted from time to time. But you are correct that many commentators are studiously ignoring this in their analyses. I've also seen some of them moving straight to advocating for a UK/Aussie-style semi-auto ban, which is grossly overplaying their political hand. Even most of Europe doesn't ban those...

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside

Very good point right in line with what I am trying to say here.

We've all heard the saying, "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Well... if your of the mind to disarm and prevent those good men who would do something then who's side are you on?

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm new to the forum, but after reading this one part of it stood out to me more than anything else.

"There is no reason anyone needs to have a Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle," said Raskin, who plans to introduce the ban when the annual 90-day legislative session opens Jan. 9. "That is just a killing machine. We can get rid of military-style assault weapons in civil society without infringing on anyone's Second Amendment rights."

Isn't this a contridiction in terms? Don't they know that most weapons now are directly from the military? I don't understand why our government state and federal can't focus on things that will actuatly help instead of just kick the hornets nest.

You'll find that facts and logic often have no weight in their arguments.

Welcome to the madness!

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    And just to add, before we get any more internet lists cut and pasted of all the bad things that have been caused by SSRI's, those will be deleted unless they cite a credible source. That stuff serves to villify people for seeking treatment, including people who may be members here.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    And just to add, before we get any more internet lists cut and pasted of all the bad things that have been caused by SSRI's, those will be deleted unless they cite a credible source. That stuff serves to villify people for seeking treatment, including people who may be members here.

Fair enough, no harm no foul, ZOO, not here to argue. I was just making a suggestion to the community for a change of public dialogue on this issue from guns to mental health and access to guns while under treatment particularly while under medication using SSRI's. As a matter of this thread, that list you deleted in my post and every one of the some odd 20 shooting incidents recorded on it involving SSRI's is a matter of public record.

Of course we could argue till the cows come home just what constitutes a "credible" source.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD

And so is Virginia Tech and Fort Hood and several other places that have had mass shootings.
    One place that definitely isn't a gun-free zone is the New Life church in Colorado.
    When a homicidal nutcase went there to try to shoot innocent people he was stopped by a lady with a gun in her purse.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Fair enough ZOO but also that list you deleted in my post and every one of the some odd 20 shooting incidents recorded on it involving SSRI's is a matter of public record.

Of course we could argue till the cows come home just what constitutes a "credible" source.

Fine, fair enough, we're all on the same side here, but why don't we do this. If you really want to discuss this why not take it over here where there is a thread specifically for it.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=97784

I don't mean to sound snippy but this is one area where the antis can really cause a large and bitter rift in the gun owning community if they get this stuff to take off, and I don't want to see that happen. I don't want to see us lose 20-40% of our membership in the gun community because they felt like they got thrown under the bus when things got rough. And that's what the antis would love to see happen.

Why don't we try to keep this particular thread on the original topic of what's coming at us from Annapolis this year.

Yeti Poacher

Dec 11, 2012
    Hunt Valley
    Is there enough supprt to block this. Will the State try to confiscate curent ownership?

Haha good luck with that. I suspect everyone would lose their firearms in a boating accident soon after. Or they were stolen. You get the idea...

Wouldn't they need a warrant to search everyone's house? How quickly could this be done with the manpower they have? This just seems like a logistical nightmare.

I would guess that any ban would affect future purchases and not past one.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I believe that Semi auto's may go the route of Machine guns Back in the 20's and 30's with prohibition Crime was out of control Now with MG'S registered and taxed only 1 crime has been committed with a legally owned MG It really is all about control Take away the SA's then shotguns etc, until we are subjects of the USA and not Free Americans

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Fine, fair enough, we're all on the same side here, but why don't we do this. If you really want to discuss this why not take it over here where there is a thread specifically for it.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=97784

I don't mean to sound snippy but this is one area where the antis can really cause a large and bitter rift in the gun owning community if they get this stuff to take off, and I don't want to see that happen. I don't want to see us lose 20-40% of our membership in the gun community because they felt like they got thrown under the bus when things got rough. And that's what the antis would love to see happen.

Why don't we try to keep this particular thread on the original topic of what's coming at us from Annapolis this year.

Noooo, geeezzz, not snippy at all! Good redirect. It IS really like walking through a mine field. My suggestion was to change the dialogue from guns to mental health and SSRI's to counter the propaganda which IS related to what's coming from Annapolis this year.

I'll move to your suggested thread.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Not to mention the assault weapons ban in Connecticut, the state where this shooting took place. Why is no one on the news pointing this out???????:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Didn't he bring the gun from another state? This is why we need a federal law. (devil's adv.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom