• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    If you've ever been on the fence about joining MSI, going to the GA, making your voice heard with your elected officials...now is the time to get involved. Rhetoric and quotes on this forum don't sway votes. Plenty of you are well-spoken. Use your writing and speaking skills with the Delegates and Senators.

The Woolard case is putting shall issue so close you can taste it. Don't let them take that from you along with what you already have.

mshilto89

Sep 6, 2012
    Aspen Hill, MoCo
    Good lord how I miss GA. Somewhat related, my father just got his CCW permit back there and my stepmother bought him a 38 special as kind of a job well done present lol. He told me the whole process took less than 2 weeks..... I can remember my grandfather carrying a 44 magnum before he passed away. He never once applied for a permit. Of course he was VERY old fashioned, owned something like 400 acres of land and had issues with people cowtipping (no bs here). He caught a couple teenagers on his land back in 1994 one weekend when I staying with him over the summer and I can remember very vividly him telling me, "this is how you deal with people who try to do you wrong". Didn't actually shoot them but held them at gunpoint till the cops arrived. Turns out one of the guys had a small .22 handgun on them. Long story short, my grandfather was VERY old fashioned...

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    Is there enough supprt to block this. Will the State try to confiscate curent ownership?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Is there enough supprt to block this. Will the State try to confiscate curent ownership?

I wouldn't put it past them to try anything. How much success they have is another thing. Saturday night specials, assault pistols, assault rifles, handgun roster board, etc., etc., have had no effect on curbing the criminals from commiting crimes.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

They have enough to do anything they want. They always have.

Now the question is, how far are they willing to go?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If your a member of the AGC, you can also contact John Jocelyn, AGC-Legislative.

He is always looking for volunteers, organizers and operatives for the legislative session.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Will the State try to confiscate curent ownership?
    Highly unlikely.The last AWB attempt in MD, SB516, had an explicit grandfathering clause and a surprisingly generous amount of time (6-8 months) to buy what you wanted for grandfathering and get it registered. (Incidentally, SB516 also didn't try to lower the magazine cap limit, which might change in the next go-around.)

While I know some people won't like hearing this, I really think we should have a better legislative plan prepared, like safe storage requirements, raising the age limit on buying a regulated rifle, etc. Appeasement sucks as a strategy, but it beats the hell out of an AWB, and our position in this state is not exactly amazing at this point in time. I don't think an AWB in MD is a foregone conclusion at all, especially given that there's another month until the next assembly and the press already seems to think we have strong gun laws.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IL SB16 did not pass.

Also, FWIW, I haven't seen much of my liberal MoCo friends pushing for gun control on Facebook. Our existing laws might be strong enough that we can dodge this one. We'll see in January, I suppose.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Push to ban more assault weapons expected in Annapolis

Buy your AR's now, I don't see us stopping this unfortunately :sad20:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-guns-20121217,0,6390450.story

Legislation to ban assault weapons like the Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle used in the Newtown school massacre will be revived in Annapolis when the General Assembly convenes next month, according to leading lawmakers pushing to make the change.
    This was interesting:

Other proposals under discussion include giving state police greater access to mental health records as they determine who can purchase firearms and crafting a list of criteria that gun owners must meet before they can carry a concealed weapon — a recognition by many lawmakers that a federal court could strike down Maryland's restrictive right-to-carry law.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    If we put more emphasis on the mental health aspect and take the focus off of 'assault weapons' and mag capacity we may be able to change the dialogue and public discourse toward something that will provide a more effective solution to the problem.

Each of the last 4-5 mass shootings, and perhaps many more, were committed by mentally challenged individuals with a KNOWN RECORD of such that were also taking some form of psychiatric prescribed (meaning legal) psychotropic pharmaceutical. SSRI's or Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors have a long, but covered up by big pharma, history of contributing to suicide and violent behavior. Big money pharma has been making a huge effort to protect it's market by keeping the dialogue on guns and not their highly profitable drugs that have been a common denominator in each of these mass shooting incidents. We need to counter that propaganda and change the dialogue!

History has proven that gun laws are entirely ineffective. More focus on keeping them out of the hands of those that have a documented record of mental illness, violence, are under treatment and are taking SSRI's is key to having an effective impact on keeping tragedies like Newtown from happening.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Do they not realize that if a federal judge is willing to strike down our ridiculous ccw procedure they will surely strike down a ban on legal firearms?
    Yes, it was great when they knocked down the AWBs in Cali and NY. Right?

I don't think a general ban on semi-auto centerfire rifles would ever pass judicial scrutiny. But I would not be so quick to assume an AWB would not.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Each of the last 4-5 mass shootings, and perhaps many more, were committed by mentally challenged individuals with a KNOWN RECORD of such that were also taking some form of psychiatric prescribed (meaning legal) psychotropic pharmaceutical. SSRI's or Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors have a long, but covered up by big pharma, history of contributing to suicide and violent behavior.

History has proven that gun laws are entirely ineffective. More focus on keeping them out of the hands of those that have a documented record of mental illness, violence, are under treatment and are taking SSRI's is key to having an effective impact on keeping tragedies like Newtown from happening.

Be careful where you go with that. The antis would like nothing more than to get into the privacy of the 20-40% of the gun owning population who are likely in some kind of therapy right now and split up the pro-gun movement that way. There is no correlation between mental illness in general and violent behavior.

And as far as the SSRI's contributing to violent behavior, it's just my opinion but I think most of the accusations made in that arena are a bunch of baloney made up mainly by trial lawyers and their minions, and perpetuated by internet conspiracy theories. There is a little bit of evidence that they can in some cases, reduce inhibitions towards aggressiveness, a little bit. Not much else. They're a much more mild class of drugs than things like say, Lithium, or MAOI inhibitors. Which is why they are widely prescribed. Take the guns away from everyone taking a mild SSRI and I hope you have a plan for how to staff a lot of vacancies on the police forces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom