• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I was on a picnic with a girl I used to date when I looked up to see a Fox running towards us. We got up and he slowed down and stopped about 25yds from us. He was a beautiful specimen. We sat back down and turned our picnic towards him so we could watch. All he did was "watch" back. We did this for about 15-20mins and then he lost interest and took off.

To say it was a cool event is an understatement.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If you shoot a nuisance fox out of season you are supposed to get a permit to take it to a taxidermist, otherwise season opens nov 1 in the counties west of the bay excepting Charles, and you must have a furbearer permit ( 5.00 add on to hunting lisc). Just so you all know...( eastern shore opens nov 15 excepting Dorchester)

I had some guy from PA last year call me about mounting a fox he shot. I asked him if he had a furtaker lisc and he said he thought you didn't need one for fox and coyote. He was right on coyotes, but wrong on foxes. I didn't want that fox anywhere near here. DNR officer told me about a taxidermist who had a MD bobcat that a customer had shot- I'm not sure of wether they fined him or just confiscated it and gave him a warning ticket.

You CAN pick up a roadkill furbearer during the open season, and bring it to a taxidermist, no permit required, except for otter, which must be tagged by someone from the DNR.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I smacked this girl in the backyard last night....

fox.jpg

What is your draw length? That arrow looks long as hell

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Range 25yrds, I shot it because it would not leave... I have kids and dogs (so do my neighbors).
    My neighbor and I tried several times to scare it away and it would not go. We were both worried it might be sick. So I pulled out the bow and quick and quiet....

Good call :thumbsup: Risking injury to pets or children isn't worth sparing a nosey critter, there's plenty more like him around. Just wish I could get a 1 on 1 chance with this pesky skunk of mine again.

CEK

Oct 7, 2012
    That may not be so strange behaver for the fox if people are feeding it or has been raised around people. Animals loose fear of people very quickly when people feed them, they start to see people as a source for food. and this can be dangerous and the animal will be come a nuisance.

IT was not a bad call to shoot the fox.

BeltBuckle and wlc if you're worried about mice and squirrels a few outside cats will take care of that and you can even pet them with little worries about being attacked

I had an outside cat to take care of the mice and other vermin...till a fox got the cat.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    A few weeks ago, I went and drug the deer I shot to the stream where I gut them. I went up the hill to get my stand, and when I came back, there was a fox standing on my deer. It was pitch black out, so I couldn't shoot, but I got within 8 ft of him before he reluctantly moved off. He stayed about 12 ft away the whole time I was gutting the deer. The property owner says that he has had the same type of encounters, and wants the fox gone. I like seeing them in the woods, it lets me know that my setup is good, scent-wise. Getting too close though, makes me think that something's wrong.

MH

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I'm just down the road in Edgewater as well...no foxes lately (seen a few before) but groundhogs are on the extermination list here. Fortunately my dogs handle that business :)

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Nice fox. They've definatly been getting pushed out some by coyotes. We just started getting them back out here after dealing with a yote issue a few years ago. Had one mouse hunting 20-25 feet from my blind the other day and had 4 out going for the geese that land in my field a few mornings the past month. Two are kind of mangy looking, but the other two are very nice looking. Can't wait for Nov.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Had a family of five under my shed last spring. They grew up and left. Fun to watch from our deck. We kept the cats inside for a while.
    IMG_6338.jpg

IMG_6347.jpg

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Sighting report: Eldersburg, tonight at 8pm, crossing Londontown Blvd from the undeveloped lot into the business park. Big fox, at least one of the largest I've seen.

stevekaw

Jul 4, 2008
    Mount Airy
    Driving down Woodstock Road from Route 99 in Howard County last week, saw a large red fox pulling on a deer carcass by the roadside that was apparently hit by a car the evening before. Interesting sight in a suburban area...

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Driving down Woodstock Road from Route 99 in Howard County last week, saw a large red fox pulling on a deer carcass by the roadside that was apparently hit by a car the evening before. Interesting sight in a suburban area...

Foxes are all over the place in Howard and Anne Arundel. I spot them running across route 32 between Linden Church Rd and Burntwood Rd about once a month.

G

George

I go fishing out North Point State Forrest in Baltimore County. About 4 years ago I would go every Sunday. While there one Sunday I happen to see a young fox so I gave it one of the peelers I had left over. After that that same fox would come back to where I parked every Sunday at the same time. So I fed it every Sunday and eventually it would come and take the peeler right out of my hand but any time I had someone else with me he would stay back 15 feet. So every Sunday it would come at the same time and get a peeler. I thought it was pretty cool, eventually it grew up and stopped coming. They are really smart animals and have a really well built in time clock.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    My neighbor called Animal Control once for a similar issue, they said they only deal in domesticated animals call DNR... DNR basically said big whoop... We can call the cops for you or you can do it yourself but they weren't gonna do anything. So now a couple of the neighbors call me Robin of the Hood to bust my chops but love it when I share the deer I harvest and help fill their freezers!

We had a fox hit by a car and badly injured a while back. It crawled into my front yard. I called the police, who told me to call animal control, who told me to call DNR. DNR showed up 2 hours later and proceeded to empty a M&P 40 magazine from 5 yards away, only hitting the immobile animal twice.

I told the officer that I could have done it with my own M&P ... with a single round at no greater than 3 foot, but some nosey neighbor would have called the cops for illegal discharge. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom