• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Ditto...Wife does not like guns...blah blah blah.
    So did not tell the wife and started buying some....
    A rape occured in the neighborhood and felt the need to tell my wife they are there for her to protect herself if she wants...I go to tell her and she says "I know I already touched them."
    So then I say, "Let me show you how to properly touch them."
    Take her shooting soon after.
    Her reponse "When are you going to get one of the things so it does not make any noise when you shoot it?"
    Me, "You mean a silencer.?"

So much for not liking guns. Story will quickly change for any anti-gun the moment an event hits too close to home. Just look at gun sales the week after the Batman Movie shooting.

That's because I think there are way more people in the US that like guns then do not like guns. Often we think there are allot more Antis around then there really is because that is all the news media wants to talk to.

You will see the one of two interviewed that do not like gun calling for stricter gun control. But for some reason the news media seems to always forget to interview any one of the 1000's of pro gun people that see a shooting like that and it enforces their feelings that more should carry.

At the end of the day it's the bad guy or nut job you have to protect yourself from and they will not care about the 100's of gun laws we have now no more then they will care about 100 new gun laws if were passed.

It's the honest person that follows the law that are effected by gun laws and they are not the ones people need to concerned about.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Patrick was of the opinion that in the situation of a bad reference but a clean record the burden of proof will be on MSP to prove you shouldn't get a permit. Guess we'll have to see if any real life reports come up.

Yet another gray area in a gray area.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Wrong again

We will have to agree to disagree. If after talking to all of your reference if a pattern of poor judgement and behavior come to the surface, police report or not, it will not help you get your ccw. Whether it is enough to keep you from getting your ccw will all depend on the person and what, and how much is being said.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Patrick was of the opinion that in the situation of a bad reference but a clean record the burden of proof will be on MSP to prove you shouldn't get a permit. Guess we'll have to see if any real life reports come up.

Yet another gray area in a gray area.

That is true, but I guess it will all depend on what is being said by who. For example, say you had a gun hating wife, (that also seems to still hate you) and the MSP talk to her. I think if she were to say bad things about you or you and guns it would not hold as much weight as if she did like guns, explained how your a great guy with many good qualities, but she thought you get drunk way to much to be responsible with a ccw. And then she goes on to give the investigator 10 phone numbers of people that will say the same thing about you.

At the end of the day when these investigators do an investigation they write a report of everything they know about you, what was said about you, there opinion on how you seemed and presented yourself during the FTF interview, and they also will give there opinion if from their investigation turned up, or did not turn up if they see any reason that you should either be approved or not approved from their findings. It comes down to an opinion of what they think of you.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    We will have to agree to disagree. If after talking to all of your reference if a pattern of poor judgement and behavior come to the surface, police report or not, it will not help you get your ccw. Whether it is enough to keep you from getting your ccw will all depend on the person and what, and how much is being said.

Which is why I'm a staunch advocate of not showing ID.

Once the police talk with you in an investigation (eventhough you are not an offending party), your name will be recorded in that report. Which you will have to answer the connection to later on, The MSP pulls anything with your name on it.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Not necessarily, giving your name to the police will result in being filed in a police report (not available to the public). Eventhough there was never any wrong doing.

Near Misses are not an issue.

Some departments complete a "contact card" for each individual they come in contact with. Think about a 3x5 index card. It typically contains your name dob, tattoos, incident number, associates, etc.

If you were Terry stopped for any reason there was probably a contact card completed.

All the data gets entered into a database that many don't realize exists.

While this is a huge privacy concern, the data does help produce leads and identify patterns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Which is why I'm a staunch advocate of not showing ID.

Once the police talk with you in an investigation (eventhough you are not an offending party), your name will be recorded in that report. Which you will have to answer the connection to later on, The MSP pulls anything with your name on it.

I agree, when you have the choice. But I'm talking about a guy that may have 2-3 x wives that all have a half dozen stories of a bad breakup issues with said guy of nights where he was not handling it well coming to their home banging on their front door where they had to call the police to get him to stop. Where they did not want to press charges so nothing came of it.

So I'm talking about issues where they were the offending party but by dumb luck reports were not made out.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    databases
    CODIS for DNA
    AEFIS-fingerprints
    VICAP-Violent crime database
    NCIC-criminal records database

there are more.

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Back to 1st base

Hey Guys,

OP here.

My wife and I are both 60 years old; married 38 years; very much inseperable.

She is a retired RN and with decades of hospital experience, she has never seen anything other than tragedy-related instances regarding firearms (except for my hunting).

And even then, ALL of my firearms are locked in a 500 lb. safe at all times unless I am out shooting or hunting.

This is what formed her opinion against guns, especially in a non-hunting scenario.

She cannot even tolerate me keeping a HD weapon readily available.

I do not hold it against her.

There is far more to us than our differences about firearms.

But if the MSP interview her, I am convinced that she will come across loud and clear that NO ONE except POLICE should walk around with FIREARMS.

Believe me, I can attest that in 38 years she has a few times seen me get mad; never got into a fight with anyone, just arguing; never had a violence charge against me my whole life. But she thinks only professionals should carry. In her mind, anyone who gets mad is a risk if armed at all. And she thinks police, unless incompetent, will not get mad when armed. And she thinks that I may.

Even after 40 odd years of responsible ownership and useage.

Put on top all of that, she has seen that I have never needed a SD weapon in my whole life, and she doesn't think I ever will.

But I live in a neighborhood that for several years has been in demise. I work the night shift and get home at 4:00 a.m. and with on-street parking, sometimes I have a considerable walk from car to home and I'd feel much safer if I were armed; especially being 60 years old. And once I got in the house, first stop would be the gun safe.

Anyway . . .

On another venue, I work with a guy from PA who has a CCW permit and he said maybe MD will follow PA in that no one there has to provide references, and nothing is looked at except your background records.

Do youi fellas think MD will mirror PA?

Rmocarsky

Last edited:

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    gprimir1,

This is not in any way a joke; my wife loathes guns (rifles, pistols, etc.),

and she thinks "no one should have them but the police."

No joke.

And no lies. She truly thinks her beliefs are right. (Although they are very, very left).

Rmocarsky

Best bet is to move to PA and ...wait for it.....Dump her! (What ever happened to that dude...is he still around??)

Last edited:
    Oct 31, 2012
    quick question here, would a mutually agreed to protection order (between myself and my ex-wifes new husband) disqualify me for a MD permit?

thanks

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    gprimir1,

No joke.

And no lies. She truly thinks her beliefs are right. (Although they are very, very left).

Rmocarsky

Lol, dude I think you have bigger issues than the ccw at this point if your wife is out to screw you.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    quick question here, would a mutually agreed to protection order (between myself and my ex-wifes new husband) disqualify me for a MD permit?

thanks

Depends on the wording in the order. I'm willing to bet that not only are you banned from getting a new gun, you are prevented from currently having control over a gun.

BTW, once the order is over you should be GTG.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    What if they call your wife (and mine absolutely abhors firearms) and she tells them she thinks it would be a very, very bad idea, even though you have no criminal record, could this scuttle your chances?

Rmocarsky

As investigates, the MSP can tell who has personal motivations against guns and can see through them. If she were to say anything like that she would also have to back up why she said what she said. You would only have something to worry about if she did have something to say about you that was true.

Remember, many of these MSP have ex-wives so they know what it's like. Now if your ex-wife is an ex-wife because she got tired of you hitting her every time you had a fight. Or got tired of you being drunk every day. Or tired of you getting into a fight with whoever every time you went out and had a few drinks. Then I would be concerned about what they had to tell the MSP.

But if your a good guy otherwise that just got caught sleeping with her sister and that's why she is your ex, then I would not worry about what she has to say.

They want to see if your a person that feel following laws is important to you. And they want to see if your a person that can control your emotions and is not a hot head. Someones views on guns being a good idea or a bad idea does not concern them.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    gprimir1,

No joke.

Rmocarsky

Sounds like a match made in Heaven. What brought you two together?????

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    They will attempt to track her down. It boils down to cost effectiveness, is she easy to find for them.

I've not communicated with my ex in years, but they found her in MD.

Won't it also depend on how rock solid the rest of the references are as well as a current wife? I feel wisely selecting your references can make all the difference in the world.

For example to just make a point. I feel if you had three 20 year MSP veterans as your three references and all saying your a good guy that can be trusted to do the right thing with a gun, you would be mush better off then if your references were a butcher, baker, and a candlestick-maker.

I think the MSP not only listen to what your references have to say, but I think they also consider who the references you selected are. So if you have three good references, an ex-wife with a tude will effect you less.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Won't it also depend on how rock solid the rest of the references are as well as a current wife? I feel wisely selecting your references can make all the difference in the world.

For example to just make a point. I feel if you had three 20 year MSP veterans as your three references and all saying your a good guy that can be trusted to do the right thing with a gun, you would be mush better off then if your references were a butcher, baker, and a candlestick-maker.

I think the MSP not only listen to what your references have to say, but I think they also consider who the references you selected are. So if you have three good references, an ex-wife with a tude will effect you less.

If there were a current wife or significant other, then yes.

They take into account she is an ex, so they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom