• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fett

Feb 19, 2012
    Does anyone know what is looked at when a background check is done if you are applying for a permit? Is it the same check done when you purchase a restricted firearm?

I don't think I'll have an issue since I've passed before for purchasing handguns, but I was wondering what the check entails. Is it just to to see if you have any felonies?

Thanks.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Does anyone know what is looked at when a background check is done if you are applying for a permit? Is it the same check done when you purchase a restricted firearm?

I don't think I'll have an issue since I've passed before for purchasing handguns, but I was wondering what the check entails. Is it just to to see if you have any felonies?

Thanks.

Basically yes. But a little deeper. Fingerprints what not.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Your criminal record is examined.
    All of your references are called.
    Any wives or ex-wives are called.

The background check is substanially more in-depth then what is done prior to purchasing a regulated gun. (One of the reasons it takes 3-4 months to get an answer (not counting our current "there's a stay/ there's not a stay dilema).

Thanks.

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    What if they call your wife (and mine absolutely abhors firearms) and she tells them she thinks it would be a very, very bad idea, even though you have no criminal record, could this scuttle your chances?

Rmocarsky

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    What if they call your wife (and mine absolutely abhors firearms) and she tells them she thinks it would be a very, very bad idea, even though you have no criminal record, could this scuttle your chances?

Rmocarsky

It won't help them. MSP will take people's references seriously. This isn't the place to make jokes or anything.

I would also caution; lying to the police is a very serious matter.

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    gprimir1,

This is not in any way a joke; my wife loathes guns (rifles, pistols, etc.),

and she thinks "no one should have them but the police."

No joke.

And no lies. She truly thinks her beliefs are right. (Although they are very, very left).

Rmocarsky

Last edited:

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    If that's the case, you may want to sit tight and see if they streamline the process to eliminate or put less emphasis on background checks.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Rmocarsky

They will ask her to explain the reasoning behind everything she tells them. Her general dislike for guns will show and the investigator will take this under consideration.

If she doesn't really have anything or any real reason why you should not have a ccw, you have nothing to worry about.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    I'm facing the same issue. I have a......trying.....relationship with my ex-wife. I have a clean criminal record (no arrests, charges, or convictions), but she filed an ex-parte against me during our divorce. Nothing ever came of it, it was just her way of gaining the upper hand during the divorce. Because it's under the civil docket, it can't be expunged.

Note that I've had no issue purchasing handguns since, I'm a Designated Collector, and until I let it expire, I had a C&R FFL.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    gprimir1,

This is not in any way a joke; my wife loathes guns (rifles, pistols, etc.),

and she thinks "no one should have them but the police."

No joke.

And no lies. She truly thinks her beliefs are right. (Although they are very, very left).

Rmocarsky

Ditto...Wife does not like guns...blah blah blah.
    So did not tell the wife and started buying some....
    A rape occured in the neighborhood and felt the need to tell my wife they are there for her to protect herself if she wants...I go to tell her and she says "I know I already touched them."
    So then I say, "Let me show you how to properly touch them."
    Take her shooting soon after.
    Her reponse "When are you going to get one of the things so it does not make any noise when you shoot it?"
    Me, "You mean a silencer.?"

So much for not liking guns. Story will quickly change for any anti-gun the moment an event hits too close to home. Just look at gun sales the week after the Batman Movie shooting.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Any police reports with your name on it will be looked at also.

There were a few with my permit application at the interview :innocent0

HUMONGO

Jan 23, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I haven't seen my exwife in over a decade. I know she lives in WV, but haven't the slightest clue how to reach her. How would they go about getting in touch with her? It doesn't ask anywhere what her name is or where she lives, etc. on the application.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I haven't seen my exwife in over a decade. I know she lives in WV, but haven't the slightest clue how to reach her. How would they go about getting in touch with her? It doesn't ask anywhere what her name is or where she lives, etc. on the application.

They will attempt to track her down. It boils down to cost effectiveness, is she easy to find for them.

I've not communicated with my ex in years, but they found her in MD.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I'm facing the same issue. I have a......trying.....relationship with my ex-wife. I have a clean criminal record (no arrests, charges, or convictions), but she filed an ex-parte against me during our divorce. Nothing ever came of it, it was just her way of gaining the upper hand during the divorce. Because it's under the civil docket, it can't be expunged.

Note that I've had no issue purchasing handguns since, I'm a Designated Collector, and until I let it expire, I had a C&R FFL.

Here is the thing. The investigators know when people are being very bios. And believe me when I tell you the LEO's know all about what it's like have x wives and x husbands. Just because of the kind of work the do it is very hard on relationships and MENY LEO's also have there own X wives stories they can tell you about. So it is not like they will talk to all of your other references that give you nothing but praise and when they get to an x wife that will bash you that she will be successful in preventing you from getting your CCW.

Now allot of guys do have the crazy X that will say anything to this day if they thought it will hurt them in any way, and the guys do not deserve what was said in any way. There are also guys that have the same concerns that do deserve everyone of the negative comments from the X wife. The investigators job is to try to figure out who is who.

This is one of the times that back when our parents told us to always do the right thing in life, and if we did not always listen it will come back to haunt us.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

That's fine. All you can do is tell them what you know and that's it.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Any police reports with your name on it will be looked at also.

There were a few with my permit application at the interview :innocent0

That's why they want to talk to your X and the friends you use as references. Not the things that resulted in a police report. but if there were any or allot of "Near Misses" of things you either did or were involved in that Almost resulted in a police report.

Now you would think when you go to your very best friends that you have known all of your life and ask them to be your references that they would never say anything bad about you. But what happens allot of the time is people mean well but sometimes do not know when to shut up and end up talking to much thinking they are helping you and they really end up hurting you.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That's why they want to talk to your X and the friends you use as references. Not the things that resulted in a police report. but if there were any or allot of "Near Misses" of things you either did or were involved in that Almost resulted in a police report.

Now you would think when you go to your very best friends that you have known all of your life and ask them to be your references that they would never say anything bad about you. But what happens allot of the time is people mean well but sometimes do not know when to shut up and end up talking to much thinking they are helping you and they really end up hurting you.

Not necessarily, giving your name to the police will result in being filed in a police report (not available to the public). Eventhough there was never any wrong doing.

Near Misses are not an issue.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    It won't help them. MSP will take people's references seriously. This isn't the place to make jokes or anything.

I would also caution; lying to the police is a very serious matter.

Agreed. And I would also like to add if an X wife were to tell them something that they would be concerned about, they would also ask her to provide the contact info for others that can back up anything she is telling them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom