• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Uhm, cliffsnotes? 180 days from publishing the above all NFA stuff will have to go through CLEO and require passport photo/fingerprints?

Careful provided too, not go through, CLEO does not need to approve/disapprove just receive the application and other info, prints etc...

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    So suppressors are still OK? No CLEO sign-offs and its only the responsible person that has to get printed and photographed?

And did I read that correctly that this won't go into effect for 180 days?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Not valid until 180 days after publication.

Photo and fingerprints of trustee required.
    CLEO notification (not sign off)

That was all on pg 1

If we can submit photo and fingerprints electronically, it would be very little change

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    180 days huh?

Not a fan of more fingerprints and photos. Looks like I got about 6 months to stock up...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Looks like I'll put in a Form 1 for an SBR soon and then I'll be done with NFA anyway.
    (or at least that's what I'm telling myself) Already have the cans I want.
    Not as bad as it could have been, but still sucks.
    Once again, the ATF searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    So what I got skimming the first few pages.

1. No CLEO sign off
    2. Anytime a new application is made from now on requires finger prints from all responsible parties of the trust be submitted along with CLEO notification

BS for sure

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Just reading some of the comments on another forum, seems a lot of people will be writing the ATF for clarification............. you know what that means, it will get worse........

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    So what I got skimming the first few pages.

1. No CLEO sign off
    2. Anytime a new application is made from now on requires finger prints from all responsible parties of the trust be submitted along with CLEO notification

BS for sure

Not in effect for 180 days.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    One big advantage of a trust was no need for CLEO sign off. Now nobody does. Good for individuals, but sort of crapping all over trusts.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    One big advantage of a trust was no need for CLEO sign off. Now nobody does. Good for individuals, but sort of crapping all over trusts.

So you mean these new rules apply to individuals AND trusts?

I thought it was only changes to trusts, so cleo sign off would still be necessary on individual forms. If that's the case, they have virtually made trusts obsolete once this goes into effect.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I thought it was only changes to trusts, so cleo sign off would still be necessary on individual forms. If that's the case, they have virtually made trusts obsolete once this goes into effect.

I'm not sure, that's the way I read it but then again I'm not a that bright sometimes. There never was a need for CLEO sign off for a trust, correct?
    If there wasn't, then why drop it? Wouldn't make a difference.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Yep. The only difference between individuals and trusts once this rule goes into effect is that an individual needs CLEO signoff, but a trust merely needs to notify the CLEO of the application. Get your Form 1's in while the getting is good.

As already stated, the rule goes into effect 180 days after it is published in the register. I truly wish I had my head stuck in the sand. As more and more laws change, I spend more and more money.

Then, I am going to retire and move to a place where most of this nonsense does not apply. At least I can hope that is the case.

Oh yeah, a trust is still a good way to pass these NFA firearms to family members upon death, but most people were not getting them drafted for that reason. Going to put a dent in the NFA trust business for a lot of attorneys.

Wonder if this could be changed by a Republican President.

It is going to be an expensive first six months of 2016. Holy smokes. Benelli MH with a 14" barrel and a couple of suppressors. I need a second job.

Edit: Changed language to make it a little bit clearer for when these rules go into place, versus what the rules are right at this moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom