• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    TWO shower heads? That's pretty baller!

****Mebbe in case you have a guest or two?

two chicks.jpg

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    But isn't that what self reliant minded folks and prepared types should strive for? Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get me. If I knew who it was or when and how they were going to strike, maybe...no. I probably still wouldn't want to deliberately cloud my judgement.

I think most humans can snap themselves awake in an emergency. Snapping out from under the influence...dunno :shrug:

We don't need to be surging with adrenaline all the time, but isn't it basic situation awareness/prudence to have a plan. Maybe it's to escape, or kill everyone in the room, or something in between. When it's my family's lives on the line, I ain't gonna rely on the plans of a drunk.

Even taking firearms out of the equation, a lot of people depend on me for varied things. About the only thing I can think of that would be more embarrassing and humiliating as a man than having to respond to a call by saying, "I'm too intoxicated to help you," would be trying to help while too intoxicated.

I don't think I'll convert you to my "puritanical" ways, and I'm quite certain you won't talk me into having a drink. :shrug:

Also:
    View attachment 416757 duh! :innocent0
    Are you saying that you wouldn’t get drunk during a hurricane or camping!!!!?

A little sauce to calm the nerves, man!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    But isn't that what self reliant minded folks and prepared types should strive for? Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get me. If I knew who it was or when and how they were going to strike, maybe...no. I probably still wouldn't want to deliberately cloud my judgement.

I think most humans can snap themselves awake in an emergency. Snapping out from under the influence...dunno :shrug:

We don't need to be surging with adrenaline all the time, but isn't it basic situation awareness/prudence to have a plan. Maybe it's to escape, or kill everyone in the room, or something in between. When it's my family's lives on the line, I ain't gonna rely on the plans of a drunk.

Even taking firearms out of the equation, a lot of people depend on me for varied things. About the only thing I can think of that would be more embarrassing and humiliating as a man than having to respond to a call by saying, "I'm too intoxicated to help you," would be trying to help while too intoxicated.

I don't think I'll convert you to my "puritanical" ways, and I'm quite certain you won't talk me into having a drink. :shrug:

Also:
    View attachment 416757 duh! :innocent0
    I doubt I’ve spent a dozen hours of my life too intoxicated to help someone. Even when I was much younger. Heck, I doubt thrice a year I am even over the legal limit and couldn’t drive if I had to (I don’t drive at all if I’ve had more than one drink). I am a one drink, rarely two kind of guy.

No, most people can’t snap awake and be 100% alert in an instant. Pretty much everyone is at diminished mental and physical capacity for the first few minutes, even with surging adrenalin. Everyone is at diminished capacity if exhausted. Depending on your level of fatigue and circumstances, you can easily be the equivalent of a couple of drinks deep on diminished decision making and coordination if really tired.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I doubt I’ve spent a dozen hours of my life too intoxicated to help someone. Even when I was much younger. Heck, I doubt thrice a year I am even over the legal limit and couldn’t drive if I had to (I don’t drive at all if I’ve had more than one drink). I am a one drink, rarely two kind of guy.

No, most people can’t snap awake and be 100% alert in an instant. Pretty much everyone is at diminished mental and physical capacity for the first few minutes, even with surging adrenalin. Everyone is at diminished capacity if exhausted. Depending on your level of fatigue and circumstances, you can easily be the equivalent of a couple of drinks deep on diminished decision making and coordination if really tired.
    I think I can wake up pretty quickly...I sure did when I used to get GERD. A nose and windpipe full of stomach acid is hard to sleep through...but that's getting way out in the weeds. To your point, we are already handicapped by our physiology. Why further retard our abilities chemically if it isn't necessary? :shrug:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

I mean...maybe if I was really certain that I wasn't going to survive and dying would hurt really bad the whole time...but still probably not.

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    There are a host of drugs other then some listed here that would certainly bend ones mind into a more altered state of readiness to handle any weapon. Designer drugs that emerge from big pharma altered by drug cartels add to a toxic mix of things poisoning our country and causing problems. So the ATF, true to form. (No pun intended on form) Living in the past concerned with things that could/should be updated, abolished for irrelevance to modern times.
    Analogous to some degree to prohibition of alcohol. The entire scope of the ATF, gun control in general. How outdated forms and antiquated methods of gov controls that never come off the books. All forms of enslavement over our freedom.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

I have to admit that the idea of getting drunk during a hurricane is very possibly the last one that would ever occur to me.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I have to admit that the idea of getting drunk during a hurricane is very possibly the last one that would ever occur to me.
    I know a guy who did that one time.
    The very next day he placed a 4Kv lightning arrestor on a 25 kv circuit and put the tap on without a stick.
    Well, to say the least he was the first one to know it.
    One time I did however have a couple of cold ones and went swimming at Daytona Beach right before landfall so I aint no better for wise judgement.
    Another time I swung a golf club too many times in some SC ******** on standby.
    Let me tell ya, I threw my back out like you wouldn't believe, but thats another story.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think I can wake up pretty quickly...I sure did when I used to get GERD. A nose and windpipe full of stomach acid is hard to sleep through...but that's getting way out in the weeds. To your point, we are already handicapped by our physiology. Why further retard our abilities chemically if it isn't necessary? :shrug:
    I take naps when it isn’t strictly necessary.

As for why retard our abilities chemically, because some people need something to relax some. Or just enjoy the taste. Why do some people get hopped up on caffeine if not strictly necessary? That has later downsides once it starts wearing off. Some people want the short term boost. Or just happen to like their preferred strain of caffeine.

Vast majority of us haven’t had real consequences from doing it. So a lot of people continue to. So far I have a 100% track record for not needing to be 100% alcohol free at the times and places in my life I’ve had a drink or two. Even the exceedingly rare times I’ve had a few drinks.

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Never heard of Hurricane Parties ?
    I have family in New Orleans. I love them, but I do expect to get a call one day that they've drowned while trying to drunkenly swim out of their city during a hurricane.

Five years in the CG, I hear a hurricane is coming and I put everyone on Port and Starboard watch rotations, set extra mooring lines and double check the pumps.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I take naps when it isn’t strictly necessary.

As for why retard our abilities chemically, because some people need something to relax some. Or just enjoy the taste. Why do some people get hopped up on caffeine if not strictly necessary? That has later downsides once it starts wearing off. Some people want the short term boost. Or just happen to like their preferred strain of caffeine.

Vast majority of us haven’t had real consequences from doing it. So a lot of people continue to. So far I have a 100% track record for not needing to be 100% alcohol free at the times and places in my life I’ve had a drink or two. Even the exceedingly rare times I’ve had a few drinks.
    Sounds like you have your plan. Be safe out there.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    So, other than the cliches about stoners being lazy, why isn't there a more active and obvious national push to change the fed laws? It would seem to have bipartisan support (whether both sides like it or not).

Is it kept on the books because it is more of a thorn in the side that has jobs and guns than the other side that doesn't? :shrug:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, other than the cliches about stoners being lazy, why isn't there a more active and obvious national push to change the fed laws? It would seem to have bipartisan support (whether both sides like it or not).

Is it kept on the books because it is more of a thorn in the side that has jobs and guns than the other side that doesn't? :shrug:
    Reefer madness. A lot of Republican voters are still against it and many would absolutely vote against anyone who would support it. It’s the morality police.

Doesn’t matter that most Republicans support it. It doesn’t take a majority in a party being against something to tip a primary.

Plus your congressionals are way older than your average American. Plenty are your Bidens of the world stuck in the mores of half a century ago and pot is icky. So a lot of them personally don’t like it.

So little political courage to push for it. Most states have only legalized it because of citizen ballot initiatives.

There is not a huge pro-weed voting bloc pushing for legalization. Even on the democrat side, someone pro-weed is probably not going to win out over someone anti-weed. Or at least ambivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom