• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I don't even shoot M855, and I'm tempted to stock up!

Instead I'm making another round of donations to SAF, NRA-ILA, and good old MSI.

It's how I say "Eff You" ;)

Sent from my mobile excuse the types pleasde!

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    ss109 and m855 are not armor piercing. My black tipped M1 30-06 is it will cut through a quarter inch steel plate like butter. The Ss109 barely dents it. I think the batf might have already removed them from the list. Check the northeast firearms forum.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423955551.003420.jpg
    Price raised from $225 while I was standing there.
    Sold out minutes later.

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air
    I swear sometimes I think stuff like this is brought to you by the ammo manufacturers to get the exact response that it has gotten in this thread.

W.E.G.

dangerous with a dremel
    Feb 3, 2012
    Virginia
    Comment period ends March 16.
    Act now.

Here is the email I sent today.
    I encourage like-minded members of this group to do likewise.

email to: APAComments@atf.gov

TOPIC: I object BATFE proposed ban on M855 ammunition

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to object to the proposal to ban “M855” ammunition and projectiles as described in your agency letter titled: “Now, BATFE has released a “Framework for Determining Whether Certain Projectiles are ‘Primarily Intended for Sporting Purposes’ Within the Meaning of 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(c).”

Please DO NOT restrict this ammunition.

There are millions and millions of rounds of this ammunition in circulation.
    Thousands of shooters use this ammunition every day for bona fide sporting purposes.

I am unaware of even ONE INSTANCE of this ammunition being used in a handgun, and for the purpose of defeating body armor of any law enforcement officer. This proposed ban on M855 ammunition is a solution in search of a problem. There is no need whatsoever for this ammunition to be banned.

Please do not ban M855 ammunition or projectiles.

Respectfully,

NAME
    ADDRESS
    TELEPHONE
    EMAIL ADDRESS

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    this is ridiculous on it's face, these are primarily rifle cartridges.

Don't worry they learned that from NJ.

We have to show a FID and have our purchase recorded for any pistol ammo.

What is pistol ammo? Any caliber that can be used in a handgun.

9mm, .45, .40 even .22lr is fairly obvious. But you also need to do this for 410 shotshells since it can be used in a Taurus Judge.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Congress could fix this problem.

The GOP controls both chambers.

People in GOP-controlled states need to write their Congress critters and tell them to FIX THE DAMN LAW and exempt all cartridges over 1000ft/lbs of energy.

psusra112

Jun 8, 2011
    lol
    Congress could fix this problem.

The GOP controls both chambers.

People in GOP-controlled states need to write their Congress critters and tell them to FIX THE DAMN LAW and exempt all cartridges over 1000ft/lbs of energy.

Not without a 2/3rds majority to override a sure-thing presidential veto.

Of course, they could shove it into the prez's funding approval for DHS that allows his immigration changes to go through. We'd be eating a bullet with the immigration issues, but we'd likely be able to get some good gun legislation through along with it.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    what are the advantages of the xm855?

Nothing. In its original incarnation it was designed to penetrate a Soviet steel helmet at 500 yards. In actual usage it doesn't deliver as effective energy transferrance as M193.

Its a relic of the Cold War and outdated "gravel belly" thoughts with a prone serviceman and a 20" rifle.

If for some reason you are mandated to use a .mil ammo type either Mk. 318(62 grain OTM) or Mk. 262(77 grain OTM) will perform exponentially better.

And if your not mandated or are not an idiot any of the various LE loads or hunting configurations will outperform it handily.

Its also not AP. AR500 will stop it at point blank range.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    :facepalm: and I thought I was done with panic buying following the senate and hogan victories....:tdown:

Jacqueline

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Mar 1, 2013
    No need to be that glum. Check out concealed carry maps from the 90's vs. today. Also remember that back in the 90's we had an AWB pass and go into law. Pro2A folks are making ground despite the best efforts of this administration and some of the worst anti-2A groups we've ever seen. It's pretty remarkable that with as many enemies as the 2A has in high places these days, that more hasn't been done. Hopefully when the pendulum shifts, we can push hard enough to set back the anti movement decades. I'd love to see the NFA as the next big bullseye for pro2A groups after we secure the right to bear arms again.

I like your targets

"...the next big bullseye for pro2A groups after we secure the right to bear arms again."

sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    Just bought 3000 rounds from what online retailers "claimed" they still had in stock...hopefully I'm not refunded due to them really being out of stock. Can't believe this is happening. I predict body armor will be next...that's coming real soon.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Just bought 3000 rounds from what online retailers "claimed" they still had in stock...hopefully I'm not refunded due to them really being out of stock. Can't believe this is happening. I predict body armor will be next...that's coming real soon.

Guess I'm going to miss out on 855. Not the end of the world with 193, etc still out there. Now the body armor...I'll have to get on that soon. Not enough money tho available to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom