• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a dozen SBRs submitted for this meeting. We have a dedicated examiner, and the expedited form 5 is just a bulk transfer that the examiner approves. I can fill you in on the process.
    There is a part of me that wants to skip work and hit the roster meeting on the 19th just to see how the hell they react to a pile of SBRs being dumped in their lap for the first time.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There is a part of me that wants to skip work and hit the roster meeting on the 19th just to see how the hell they react to a pile of SBRs being dumped in their lap for the first time.

Sounds like a hoot. :lol2:

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    So, I got a call from Sam Cook, who advised me that I need to fax him something saying his approval would have me violating MD law. Especially the Grandfathered items! He tried to tell me they received my paperwork on Oct.3rd, and I advised him, that via the post office, it was Officially Mailed before on Nov. 26th. Which puts it before the Oct.1st deadline. So, is there any info out there I can send off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    Just got a disapproval from ATF on a Form 4 of a Daniel Defense MK18, which is measured at >29". The reason stated is "Prohibited by State law--Assault Weapon"

So, I got a call from Sam Cook, who advised me that I need to fax him something saying his approval would have me violating MD law. Especially the Grandfathered items! He tried to tell me they received my paperwork on Oct.3rd, and I advised him, that via the post office, it was Officially Mailed before on Nov. 26th. Which puts it before the Oct.1st deadline. So, is there any info out there I can send off?

Also, I called MSP, and Jason Edwards states, "The law is interpreted as ANY RIFLE PURCHASED BEFORE THE OCT.1 DEADLINE CAN BE BUILD INTO ANY CONFIGURATION/LENGTH ONE DESIRES!! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO RESTRICTIONS ON ANY WEAPON BEFORE THAT DATE!!!! WE'VE BEEN GETTING AN INFLUX OF PEOPLE WITH THIS PROBLEM AND OUR CAPTAIN WILL BE ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE SOON WITH THE ATF!"

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Also, I called MSP, and Jason Edwards states, "The law is interpreted as ANY RIFLE PURCHASED BEFORE THE OCT.1 DEADLINE CAN BE BUILD INTO ANY CONFIGURATION/LENGTH ONE DESIRES!! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO RESTRICTIONS ON ANY WEAPON BEFORE THAT DATE!!!! WE'VE BEEN GETTING AN INFLUX OF PEOPLE WITH THIS PROBLEM AND OUR CAPTAIN WILL BE ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE SOON WITH THE ATF!"

Correct. We met with Edwards and another Corporal on Monday to discuss these issues, and will hopefully be seeing some clarification soon. I'm holding off on any litigation right now based on the substance of that meeting, but things need to change.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    Correct. We met with Edwards and another Corporal on Monday to discuss these issues, and will hopefully be seeing some clarification soon. I'm holding off on any litigation right now based on the substance of that meeting, but things need to change.

I also called Bak the ATF, and they realized I sent the form 1's to Atlanta 1st, and they sent them to WV, who didn't get them until AFTER the 1st of Oct.. However, the OTHER guy (not the *******), told me, "Faxing my paperwork of the dates of purchases for my items is All they'll need!" :-) so I'll be faxing shortly! I also told them, that State law supersedes Federal in a matter like this, therefore, if MD is telling you "Grandfathered rifles can be any length, Marylanders should not be having this problem.".

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I also called Bak the ATF, and they realized I sent the form 1's to Atlanta 1st, and they sent them to WV, who didn't get them until AFTER the 1st of Oct.. However, the OTHER guy (not the *******), told me, "Faxing my paperwork of the dates of purchases for my items is All they'll need!" :-) so I'll be faxing shortly! I also told them, that State law supersedes Federal in a matter like this, therefore, if MD is telling you "Grandfathered rifles can be any length, Marylanders should not be having this problem.".

I'd love to see that in writing...my grandfathered lower shouldn't be limited to 29" OAL even if the ATF received the paperwork tomorrow. I already had the lower.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    not to mention, i still have yet to build on a couple lowers i purchased nearly 10 damn years ago. how would i prove pre-october possession on something i definitely don't have the receipt for (considering I didn't even think i'd be in MD at any point, let alone have ridiculous shit like this passed)?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    not to mention, i still have yet to build on a couple lowers i purchased nearly 10 damn years ago. how would i prove pre-october possession on something i definitely don't have the receipt for (considering I didn't even think i'd be in MD at any point, let alone have ridiculous shit like this passed)?

I wonder if ATF would accept a signed, notarized affidavit that you possessed a firearm legally prior to October 1, 2013.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    I also told them, that State law supersedes Federal in a matter like this, therefore, if MD is telling you "Grandfathered rifles can be any length, Marylanders should not be having this problem.".

I don't think Maryland law supersedes Federal law (state law rarely does). But Maryland law doesn't forbid you from owning/making the SBR so ATF should approve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Any word on whether I will be caught up in this nonsense with pre-Oct 1 Engage Armament E-4 "factory" SBR's being transferred on form 4's? I still have two of them pending... The good news there, I think, is that lower is on the handgun roster.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I don't think Maryland law supersedes Federal law (state law rarely does). But Maryland law doesn't forbid you from owning/making the SBR so ATF should approve.

It's not superseding federal law... but you must comply with both independently. Failure to comply with either one will queer the deal.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012

The ATF TOLD me it did. That's how a state can say "Yup, it's illegal to own that weapon!" Yet the FEDS say you can. Yet if you're living in THAT state, you can't own it.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    Well, I about to find out, because I'm going to email, and fax my receipts tomorrow morning, and if all goes as planned, I should have all three of my form 1's back by next week at the latest.

Afdiesel

Mar 7, 2013
    Middletown
    State law doesn't supersede federal in this instance. They work in conjunction with each other. There is no federal law banning private ownership nationwide, however each state can impose their own restriction.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    p.s. KEEP AND COPY ALLLLLLL RECEIPTS AS I HAVE. IVE BEEN DOING SO SINCE THE MID 90's (Thankfully!).

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    State law doesn't supersede federal in this instance. They work in conjunction with each other. There is no federal law banning private ownership nationwide, however each state can impose their own restriction.

Really? So I guess the ones OK'ing these applications don't know jack, and neither do I? Because even if they don't, I sure do, and that's why they told me to just get them these receipts, and they'll tale care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom