• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankAR15

Feb 1, 2008
    Anne Arundel Co.
    So the the OAL doesn't come into play? As long as I don't put a folding stock or M203 on it with the flash suppressor I'll be good to go. Who the hell thinks this stuff up?
    Sent from my SM-T738U using Tapatalk
    For reference, I’ve been told on this forum that you would not be able to SBR in MD the Springfield PDW and would have to remove the brace to be legal. It has a minimum OAL if 18.75” and maximum of 23.5”

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I guess I have not been paying attention. Since when have Midway, Brownells, and Optics Planet stopped selling pistol braces?
    I doubt braces will ever be illegal, just braced pistols of certain guns basically the AR, AK and others that will not be able to pass the ATF 49.99 Checklist if that actually becomes a thing.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    With a standard length carbine buffer tube and standard telescopic stock like any Magpul or mil spec, you should pass the necessary 29" requirement to SBR the gun.

And remember, you can put any other upper(and caliber) on an AR SBR as long as it meets the required OAL in Merryland(while in Md). You can put a 300 Blackout on it, 7.62, 9mm, etc. You can even throw a 4" .22 upper on your registered SBR lower if you want(because rimfires aren't governed by OAL). The only stipulation is, you either have to be able to re-convert back to the SBR's original description and caliber, or notify ATF of a permanent caliber change.
    But, in order to get the "free" tax stamp, don't you have to meet 29" with a brace installed - and, rumor has it, submit a pic? I just did some lower swapping and my 10.5" with a carbine buffer tube and SBA4 brace only makes 28.5" OAL. Dowel checked the barrel and it's right at 10.5" from bolt face to the end of the barrel.

With an A5 buffer tube it's 29 5/16" OAL with an SBA4.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    So the the OAL doesn't come into play? As long as I don't put a folding stock or M203 on it with the flash suppressor I'll be good to go. Who the hell thinks this stuff up?

The OAL absolutely comes into play if you want to SBR it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    But, in order to get the "free" tax stamp, don't you have to meet 29" with a brace installed - and, rumor has it, submit a pic? I just did some lower swapping and my 10.5" with a carbine buffer tube and SBA4 brace only makes 28.5" OAL. Dowel checked the barrel and it's right at 10.5" from bolt face to the end of the barrel.

With an A5 buffer tube it's 29 5/16" OAL with an SBA4.
    I covered this in another post(maybe another thread?). I warned that if you were going to use a Sig brace on an SBR, you would likely come up aprox. 1" short of 29" if you were using a 10.5" 5.56/.223 barrel along with a standard length buffer tube. If you were converting a 9mm or .45acp with a 10.5" barrel, you would likely be closer to 2" short.

I'm just going to keep my pistols as pistols. Once I finally fly this chicken coop of a state, I will SBR them with their 5" barrels(all are 9mm guns).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

In this case, you did big guy. ALL center fire, semi automatic SBRs must be over 29" OAL.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    Looks like I either need to get a 11.5" upper or prepare to use it without the brace. Looking at alternatives and think a pistol buffer tube with a sling might be the way to go for me.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Looks like I either need to get a 11.5" upper or prepare to use it without the brace. Looking at alternatives and think a pistol buffer tube with a sling might be the way to go for me.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Do they make a pad for the brace that extends it? Thinking like the old style shoulder pads for shotguns. Would that qualify?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do they make a pad for the brace that extends it? Thinking like the old style shoulder pads for shotguns. Would that qualify?
    You know what's funny? You can screw on a thicker but pad to gain length to your gun, but muzzle devices need to be pinned and welded on. What am I missing?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I think people are missing the point with a SBR stamp...

You can put a freaking stock on it to get the correct OAL after the stamp comes back approved.

A 10.5" barrel with a mil-spec 6 position buffer tube and Magpul CTR will come to 29.25-29.5" OAL.

Jesus, the lack of common sense on HOW you are supposed to measure things, in accordance with NFA is unbelievable.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018

You can put a freaking stock on it to get the correct OAL after the stamp comes back approved.

A 10.5" barrel with a mil-spec 6 position buffer tube and Magpul CTR will come to 29.25-29.5" OAL.

Jesus, the lack of common sense on HOW you are supposed to measure things, in accordance with NFA is unbelievable.
    But if you put a stock on it BEFORE you get a stamp, aren't you now an illegal owner of a SBR?

I honestly don't know or understand any of this crap. I deal in fact, these laws are based upon emotion, it just doesn't compute in my mind...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    But if you put a stock on it BEFORE you get a stamp, aren't you now an illegal owner of a SBR?

I honestly don't know or understand any of this crap. I deal in fact, these laws are based upon emotion, it just doesn't compute in my mind...

Before the stamp, yes. After the stamp, no.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

^^^This is the way. I really don't understand why anyone would hang onto a brace on an SBR. It defies logic.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Take a little advice; pay no attention to people pasting up statute after statute. Half the time they have changed. This site has a wealth of experienced users. Take their advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom