• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Valid point of course.

It is interesting as I think about it that neither the M9 nor the 1911 ever enjoyed terribly widespread, long term police use. The Beretta probably did in the 80's but it seems to have been replaced quickly. The 1911 was in Army service for 70+ years as American cops were mostly still carrying revolvers.

Beretta is still issued to LAPD. Probably the best known example.
    As far as the 1911. FBI HRT still uses em, the Texas Rangers, LAPD SIS, various SWAT units and various famous lawmen.
    One could say they didn't have the market penetration of Glock but I'm not 100% sure that that was a statistic tracked in the past.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've seen my share of M9's go T/U. They have a tendency to have cracks on the slide from the lower left corner of the ejection port.
    I've carried, 1911, MK-23's, 226's, M9 and 686.
    MK-23 and P-226 are my favorite over the others for 95% of what I did.
    A lot of fine firearms in your list. What did you find the downside of the 686 to be? Weight, capacity, second shot follow up, man stopping, etc? I'm guessing some combination of the first three. When was 686 a carry option? Maybe just in a domestic position. Sorry to date you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    It will also be interesting to see if Sig can leverage this win into some LE and military sales (foreign or domestic).

I know it's not a large department, but Loudoun County Sheriff just went to the Sig P320.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    A few mention being Grunt Proof...notably Pistols are only issued to Officers, Staff NCO's and then special duty situation and billets...i.e. MPs, Spec Ops, Recon, and on Post Duty and Amorers/Armory Duties and posted personnel.

Not every Military Person gets a Pistol...JFYI

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A few mention being Grunt Proof...notably Pistols are only issued to Officers, Staff NCO's and then special duty situation and billets...i.e. MPs, Spec Ops, Recon, and on Post Duty and Amorers/Armory Duties and posted personnel.

Not every Military Person gets a Pistol...JFYI

Issued for duty, but generally don't all personnel receive handgun training?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Issued for duty, but generally don't all personnel receive handgun training?

In the Army, anyway, Military Police, aviation, special forces, some officers (like cavalry officers) and maybe a few others get handgun training. All others are rifle only. Personnel, payroll and other "office jobs" qualify in basic training then qualify once a year. With budget cuts, some Guard and Reserve units might not even qualify every year. You could get a higher ranking officer or NCO maybe qualify once every few years depending on their job.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Me too. I watched Die Hard last night in anticipation.

Wonder if anyone here got some insight how long it will reach the civilian surplus market. If a year wait I would grab one of those Italian police surplus for now.

I just shot the 92s today for the first time, ifs realky easy too shoot and it's super accurate.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Wonder if anyone here got some insight how long it will reach the civilian surplus market. If a year wait I would grab one of those Italian police surplus for now.

I just shot the 92s today for the first time, ifs realky easy too shoot and it's super accurate.

Pretty sure its going to be years before the first Beretta surplus hits the market.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I just lol'ed pretty hard at that.

I'm glad someone caught the reference.

**And Calvert, until a year or so ago, was still carrying the Beretta - albeit the 96, but Beretta nonetheless. They went to the dark side though, now carrying Glock.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    A lot of fine firearms in your list. What did you find the downside of the 686 to be? Weight, capacity, second shot follow up, man stopping, etc? I'm guessing some combination of the first three. When was 686 a carry option? Maybe just in a domestic position. Sorry to date you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The 686 was merely an option, another tool in the box. I carried one when I knew I was going to be spending a lot of time in the water. Since it's stainless, it's an ideal choice for saltwater environments. The 686 while only a six shooter, was more than adequate in the hands of a capable operator. Not necessarily a good choice when an opplan is to use a handgun as a primary weapon.
    Honestly, the only time I carried mine other than in the water was in civilian clothes in less than favorable places.

The 686 was in use in NSW in the 80's to at least the early 2000's that I know of and I would imagine it's still an option.

You might be surprised to know that the Ruger MK2 with threaded barrel was at one time on the list of weapons in the Naval Special Warfare arsenal. You can probably figure out why.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    320f-9-bss-rx.jpg

Butt ugly plastic gun. I would personally be ashamed of myself and my years of art school if I ever shot someone with a non metallic handgun. Shooting someone in combat (or for personal defense) is a serious thing and should be done with an implement that is of an aesthetic quality equivalent to the act of ending a life. It is both insulting to the humanity of the shooter and the victim. By selecting this weapon, we are reducing our military to the level of urban pharmaceutical salesmen. What's next, nylon bayonets? Thanks Obama.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Butt ugly plastic gun. I would personally be ashamed of myself and my years of art school if I ever shot someone with a non metallic handgun. Shooting someone in combat (or for personal defense) is a serious thing and should be done with an implement that is of an aesthetic quality equivalent to the act of ending a life. It is both insulting to the humanity of the shooter and the victim. By selecting this weapon, we are reducing our military to the level of urban pharmaceutical salesmen. What's next, nylon bayonets? Thanks Obama.

60365313.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    IDGAF what it looks like. As long as it does it's job.

Being shot is a lot like being attacked by a tiger, it doesn't matter what color the stripes are - you're still being attacked by a damn tiger.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    IDGAF what it looks like. As long as it does it's job.

Being shot is a lot like being attacked by a tiger, it doesn't matter what color the stripes are - you're still being attacked by a damn tiger.

Being killed by a tiger is much more honorable than being killed by a man with plastic gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom