Are dealers ripping us off on transfer fees?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    You were right the first time. You really do not know what posters here have done to support 2A and / or conservative issues in general, conservative legislators locally in MD or more broadly national.

You do not know what has been spent with local dealers, even when other options were somewhat preferable.

You do not know what posters here do to support local small business in general, not JUST gun dealers.

So with all due respect, I do not need to be taken to school on this topic, by someone who does not know me, does not know what I have done and am doing, who does not know what I have spent and donated.

And there are a wide variety of ways to provide support. MSI is merely one, and for what it is worth MSI has been to date one of the more difficult ones to try to support. MSI has done some great work in the trenches. I respect what they do. I will support them ALSO when certain things are in order, and until then I will CONTINUE my support in other camps.

It is one thing to plead for support. To request support. To use opportunities to show why support would solve stated problems. It is quite another to demand it in a scolding tone. If you go back to my post you will see the thrust of it, the intent of it, was to discuss the difficulties with the entire process we in MD face. I did not launch on dealers per se, and certainly had no reason to do that. I did not launch on any dealer in particular. If we Marylanders were not so frustrated with the entire transfer process, from beginning to end, this thread would not exist.

There was an opportunity to point out that the frustrating process has been one focus of MSI and others, but they need our support. An ask. Sadly, that opportunity was missed.

I respect the work you personally have done. Please respect me and mine.

If you want to take this offline, please PM me...

+ 1, What he said, especially in red...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You were right the first time. You really do not know what posters here have done to support 2A and / or conservative issues in general, conservative legislators locally in MD or more broadly national.

You do not know what has been spent with local dealers, even when other options were somewhat preferable.

You do not know what posters here do to support local small business in general, not JUST gun dealers.

So with all due respect, I do not need to be taken to school on this topic, by someone who does not know me, does not know what I have done and am doing, who does not know what I have spent and donated.

And there are a wide variety of ways to provide support. MSI is merely one, and for what it is worth MSI has been to date one of the more difficult ones to try to support. MSI has done some great work in the trenches. I respect what they do. I will support them ALSO when certain things are in order, and until then I will CONTINUE my support in other camps.

It is one thing to plead for support. To request support. To use opportunities to show why support would solve stated problems. It is quite another to demand it in a scolding tone. If you go back to my post you will see the thrust of it, the intent of it, was to discuss the difficulties with the entire process we in MD face. I did not launch on dealers per se, and certainly had no reason to do that. I did not launch on any dealer in particular. If we Marylanders were not so frustrated with the entire transfer process, from beginning to end, this thread would not exist.

There was an opportunity to point out that the frustrating process has been one focus of MSI and others, but they need our support. An ask. Sadly, that opportunity was missed.

I respect the work you personally have done. Please respect me and mine.

If you want to take this offline, please PM me.

I am not demanding anything, especially not in the "support" category and I am not advocating one organization over another. Let's just get that straight.

However, when people sit on the sidelines until the poop hits the fan and then they want to yell and scream after the poop has hit the fan, that I just cannot tolerate.

This entire thread was started to bash dealers and FFLs for what they are charging for transfer fees. Again, it all has to deal with supply and demand.

Have to wonder how many people were screaming about house prices back in 2006 being way too high? Not many. They just went out and got a mortgage they could not afford. Now, with a $60 to $75 transfer fee, the sky is falling.

Yes, the sum total sucks, and I am pretty sure you left a lot of it off of your equation too. Kind of like the ban coming on October 1, 2013. How about the additional fees for the HQL come October 1, 2013. For somebody buying a $1,000 handgun, the additional $50 for the license, $100 for the background check, and Lord knows how much for the training course will not be so bad. However, for the poor person trying to buy a $350 handgun so they can defend their family (only wanting to buy a single handgun) that is absurd.

This entire thing is absurd, yet we need to deal with it. Again, turning on ourselves or the dealers is not the answer, unless a dealer is really being unscrupulous. That reminds me of the employee at Bass Pro behind the gun counter that was telling a couple "The wait is around 90 days, but that is just the way it is. We have no control over that." I really felt like saying, "That isn't true. The wait HERE is 90 days, but other dealers in Maryland are releasing around 10 to 20 days after the paperwork goes in." Did not feel like getting thrown out or banned from the store though.

End of the day, I don't think any of us are happy about this. While I have bought a lot of guns since January, I am sure there will be something that comes along that I will eventually want that Maryland law will prohibit. There you go, add me to the "cry me a river" bandwagon.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    + 1, What he said, especially in red...

Too late. You must have stuck that in while I was drafting my novel.

Why should I take this to PM?

Is there really a need to cry over what the price of guns, ammo, or transfer fees happen to be? Will crying over it do anything?

Gas is nearly $4 a gallon. Was shocked a couple of years ago to find out milk is now $4 a gallon too. I can remember when my dad got it for $1 a gallon.

Thing is, the same people crying a river right now would probably leave their employer if they could double their salary. However, when a dealer has this opportunity, they are terrible people.

What do you think would happen to the price of gas if there is a short supply of it and the gas stations have lines a mile long? It isn't going to stay at $4 a gallon, that is for sure.

This is all simple supply and demand. To put it another way, capitalism.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    The amount of crying in this thread is insane. How many people were spending their hard earned money on ammo at the dealer when the stuff was freely on the shelves. NOBODY Why is that? Because they did not want to have their hard earned cash tied up in ammo when they could use it elsewhere.

Me, I failed to buy a lot of the guns I wanted because I wrongly assumed that they would be available whenever I wanted them. So, in February I paid close to 300% of pre-crazy retail price for a RRA lower. Focused on some handguns after that. Then bought some more lowers at somewhat normal prices.

Thing is, nobody really wants to look at the dealers' side of this issue. How many people are going to be going out and buying stuff after October 1, 2013?

How many of you are crying for the families of dealers that might not weather the storm after SB281 is in force? Is there a collection plate for those dealers that will need to look for a new line of work?

Nah, the only thing that most people want to do is complain about their situation without looking at the situation of others.

Voting with your wallet is a great idea. One that I really like myself. Question is, did you vote at the polls, and if so, how did you vote (i.e., pro 2nd Amendment)?

I really have a bug you know where after the SB281 hearings where it was pointed out that 40% of the people speaking against SB281 were NOT registered to vote. I am willing to bet that percentage applies to even more 2nd Amendment "supporters" that did not even show up in Annapolis for SB281.

If your speaking of me crying, then your surely not paying attention. When I called for transfer prices it was for a buyer that was buying my gun not for myself. I was trying to help him out. I do/ did my transfers in waldorf but I live in Severn and the buyer was n Westminister so i Was looking fr something in between. I believe they charge me 25(non reg, this is correct) and 40reg(maybe 45) at the place I use in Waldorf... Honestly I know they don't bend me over so I just give them the card and don't even pay attention anymore. THEY have taken good care of me time and time again and I will continue to buy from them and do my transfers there.
    Now, what I have a big problem with is ppl trying to give me and others a reason why over night some of the dealers raised their prices on transfers and ammo they had n the shelf fr half that price the day before. Those dealers have the same bills as most dealers but yet SOME didn't raise prices. So my rant is ...
    I don't want to hear the bull shit excuses . Stop blowing smoke up asses and call it what it is.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    If your speaking of me crying, then your surely not paying attention. When I called for transfer prices it was for a buyer that was buying my gun not for myself. I was trying to help him out. I do/ did my transfers in waldorf but I live in Severn and the buyer was n Westminister so i Was looking fr something in between. I believe they charge me 25(non reg, this is correct) and 40reg(maybe 45) at the place I use in Waldorf... Honestly I know they don't bend me over so I just give them the card and don't even pay attention anymore. THEY have taken good care of me time and time again and I will continue to buy from them and do my transfers there.
    Now, what I have a big problem with is ppl trying to give me and others a reason why over night some of the dealers raised their prices on transfers and ammo they had n the shelf fr half that price the day before. Those dealers have the same bills as most dealers but yet SOME didn't raise prices. So my rant is ...
    I don't want to hear the bull shit excuses . Stop blowing smoke up asses and call it what it is.

I tend to have a habit of quoting the post I am replying to. It makes things a little easier. If I do not quote a post, I am usually referring to the OP. If I quote a post and then want to address another point made by somebody else, I usually put the person's screen name in the additional reply.

However, I guess I did make a general post about all the crying over gun prices, scarcity of guns/ammo, etc. Crying over this BS is like crying about how little one gets in welfare in this state. It really is not going to help one bit.

Call around, find what you can, and do what you can with what there is. Thing is, if we don't want to see this continue on and get worse over the years, we need to do A LOT more than just crying on this chatboard. Sadly, most of this mess will be forgotten in a year or two when things are "back to normal". That is until they want to pass the next big restriction on the 2nd Amendment.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I have a good relationship with my local small dealer. I refuse to by from the big box guys as much as possible. Heck my last two transfers only cost me a brick of Eley .22 ammo.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Too late. You must have stuck that in while I was drafting my novel.

Why should I take this to PM?

Is there really a need to cry over what the price of guns, ammo, or transfer fees happen to be? Will crying over it do anything?

Gas is nearly $4 a gallon. Was shocked a couple of years ago to find out milk is now $4 a gallon too. I can remember when my dad got it for $1 a gallon.

Thing is, the same people crying a river right now would probably leave their employer if they could double their salary. However, when a dealer has this opportunity, they are terrible people.

What do you think would happen to the price of gas if there is a short supply of it and the gas stations have lines a mile long? It isn't going to stay at $4 a gallon, that is for sure.

This is all simple supply and demand. To put it another way, capitalism.

What someone would do in the other circumstances you mention is irrelevant to to the subject of this thread... I refer you to post #191 for my real position on the subject of this thread. You're right though, "no need for a PM"...:)

thebullpupkid

Feb 6, 2009
    Right near the beach!
    In actual free states, $25 transfers aren't hard to find, so I'm going to go with yes.

I'll vouch for this. Since moving I've enjoyed $25 transfers on the items I've bought outside the state.

Of course we also have same day cash and carry on pistols/rifles/shotguns/EBR's/ETC and legal face to face transactions on any legally owned firearm without the need for paperwork. Oh and if you go hunting in this state there are no magazine capacity limits. Also we are allowed concealed carry without a permit if you are "engaged in any legitimate outdoor activity," and open carry is of course fully legal if you don't want to get the shall issue concealed permit.

Not to rub it in or anything... :D Most of you guys wouldn't like it anyway because it's a bastion of liberalism with the legal weed and all...

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I feel for the dealers who are having customers coming in and canceling guns they put a deposit on during the panic because now they can find them cheaper. Meanwhile the dealer has been storing the gun and could have sold it at the higher price so he's stuck and losing money. It's no wonder they raised their transfer fees.
    As for the references to MSI, I sent them a donation and never even received a thank you or acknowledgement. That's as ignorant as a no thank you card for a gift. I'll think long and hard before I give again. There are a lot of other pro gun organizations I support on my limited income and they all seem to appreciate it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Many raised their fees to try and stem the flow of having to stockpile more and more guns in their shops for people waiting on paperwork. I know one of my friends who is an FFL was doing cheap transfers until he got tons of people using him and then he raised his prices trying to reduce the number transfering guns in. When that did not work recently he stopped doing transfers on complete ARs due to lack of room to store anymore. Now he only does handguns and lowers and that is it. C & C firearms are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom