• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jawsjr2

Apr 28, 2013
    Potomac, MD
    I was at the Timonium Gun show today and i had a guy at one of the booths selling new AR15s and said its about a half hour wait and I could walk out with it. Does that make sense? I'm new to MD and its gun laws (and new to the AR15 world in general). Anyone confirm that I can do this? I thought there was a mandatory 7-day wait.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If it's a HBAR, or a heavy-barrelled clone, it's cash & carry. Simple NICS check, pay the man, leave with your new rifle.

Non-HBAR's and clones, 7-day wait (which is more around 60 to 60+ days right now).

Jawsjr2

Apr 28, 2013
    Potomac, MD
    Thanks for the info. Instead of asking rookie questions like what is an hbar, I'll do my diligence in researching. So if I want a Colt or Bushmaster, it's a 60+ day wait?

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Thanks for the info. Instead of asking rookie questions like what is an hbar, I'll do my diligence in researching. So if I want a Colt or Bushmaster, it's a 60+ day wait?

HBAR is short for Heavy Barrel if that saves you some trouble. And there are HBAR Colts, so you might find one C&C.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks for the info. So the only difference is a "heavy barrel" for more accuracy?

Pretty much. You also can't mount a regular M203 grenade launcher onto a govt profile barrel (since it uses barrel clamps). Since M203's and HE shells are so easy to get, that's why a govt profile barrel AR is regulated in MD but a HBAR is not.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Colt makes a specifically named HBAR. "Clones" of HBAR may be of various brands. Exactly what constitutes an HBAR has been a source of confusion for years , and even if *we* and/or MSP know it's not regulated , many FFLs have historically err on side of cover their butt , and transfer as if Regulated anyway.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I was at the Timonium Gun show today and i had a guy at one of the booths selling new AR15s and said its about a half hour wait and I could walk out with it. Does that make sense? I'm new to MD and its gun laws (and new to the AR15 world in general). Anyone confirm that I can do this? I thought there was a mandatory 7-day wait.

The law confuses a lot of people. There are a lot of things that many people would guess there is a wait on, when in fact, there isn't.

Get yourself a nice heavy barrel AR and smile knowing that the heavier duty, more lethal weapon is the one you don't have to wait on.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The law confuses a lot of people. There are a lot of things that many people would guess there is a wait on, when in fact, there isn't.

Get yourself a nice heavy barrel AR and smile knowing that the heavier duty, more lethal weapon is the one you don't have to wait on.

Or get an AR-10, and laugh at the 'common sense' our elected officials posses.

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    Pretty much. You also can't mount a regular M203 grenade launcher onto a govt profile barrel (since it uses barrel clamps). Since M203's and HE shells are so easy to get, that's why a govt profile barrel AR is regulated in MD but a HBAR is not.

The funny part about that is you can still mount an M203 grenade launcher if you have a quad rail on it. They make them rail mounted these days.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The funny part about that is you can still mount an M203 grenade launcher if you have a quad rail on it. They make them rail mounted these days.

Yeah, haha. You get to have the accuracy and heat dissipation of an HBAR while still being able to mount an evil NFA grenade launcher on it.

Last week I gathered some AR's to explain SB281 to a student journalist. I told her that the benign looking, faux SP-1 would be banned because of the govt profile barrel, the tricked out Daniel Defense would be banned because of the govt profile barrel, but the scary looking, Magpuled S&W M&P15 Sport would still be 18 year old cash and carry simply because of the heavy barrel. I explained that I like the HBAR anyway because I can do mag dumps with less heating and that these days, grenade launchers don't even need govt profile barrels.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The original "Colt Sporter HBAR" had receiver pivot pin that was larger and had a different center axis than those of regular AR's. The idea was that you simply couldn't take a Sporter HBAR and slap an evil upper on it.

Then people came up with pin adapters.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you can get an HBAR cash and carry I don't know why a receiver can't be the same.

Technically you should be, but unfortunately the MSP has been giving verbal "guidance" to FFL's for years to transfer them as regulated.

Because those chunks of aluminum are SOOO dangerous on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom