• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Same reason I am building my first ever AR. May cost me more in the long run but then it doesn't hit you very hard in the pocket if you space out the parts buying.

thats what I did. Buy a piece here, buy a piece there. I was on the fence to buy the tools needed to build the upper or just paying a gun smith to put the barrel on. I figured I will probably build at least one more AR so I will use the tools again.

bullbarrel

Apr 28, 2009
    western maryland
    All the info I have seen here is good,If your not going to build more than 3 or 4 uppers then the tools don't really pay for themselves.Just be careful building uppers,bad things can happen on the first pull of the trigger!But it's good to learn how your gun function by building them.Good luck

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    You also get a better understanding of the gun's system than you do just by shooting it. I think that is definitely worth any extra money and time spent!

People always say this and, in my opinion, it's a bunch of BS. If you can't figure out how an AR upper works after field stripping one, putting one together isn't going to help you.

I haven't built an upper yet, but I've built a handful of lowers. I only build them myself because it's so easy and cheaper. For uppers, I have always managed to find smoking deals on complete uppers, so I've never bothered with building.

Just by building you get the personal satisfaction that you put together a gun from scratch

This is the real advantage of building over buying. Especially when you show someone who isn't as into guns and you say "I built this" and they give you that look like you're some sort of genius and you are thinking inside "I built this and any retard with the tools can build one too" LOL

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    People always say this and, in my opinion, it's a bunch of BS. If you can't figure out how an AR upper works after field stripping one, putting one together isn't going to help you.

I haven't built an upper yet, but I've built a handful of lowers. I only build them myself because it's so easy and cheaper. For uppers, I have always managed to find smoking deals on complete uppers, so I've never bothered with building.

I'm not entirely sure how "understanding a system better" translates into "figuring out how an AR upper works"...

I enjoyed starting with a stripped upper, a stripped lower, and a box of parts. And yeah, putting everything go together did allow me to get a deeper understanding of the the AR as a compete system.

I'll take from your comments that you've had different experiences.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I'm not entirely sure how "understanding a system better" translates into "figuring out how an AR upper works"...

I enjoyed starting with a stripped upper, a stripped lower, and a box of parts. And yeah, putting everything go together did allow me to get a deeper understanding of the the AR as a compete system.

I'll take from your comments that you've had different experiences.

What I mean basically is that if someone is wanting to understand an AR (the upper in particular) field stripping is going to teach them everything they need to know about the system.

Buy a complete upper and field strip - You take the handguards off and you see the gas tube and how it goes through the barrel nut and comes from the FSB or gas block. You pull the bolt out and see where the gas key meets the gas tube, you dissassemble the bolt and you see how the bolt rides in the carrier etc.

Assemble your own upper, the only addition from the above is driving in a few pins and torqueing the barrel nut.

All I'm saying is you really aren't learning anymore about the system by building it than you learn by being observant and paying attention to things as you field strip any upper.

I enjoyed starting with a stripped upper, a stripped lower, and a box of parts.

That right there is what building is all about. You get to see the parts become a whole, you get pleasure from that. But you're kidding yourself if you think you understand the system better because of that.

I'm not knocking building at all, I build whatever I can for myself, because I enjoy the task as well as the finished product. :party29:

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD

This is the real advantage of building over buying. Especially when you show someone who isn't as into guns and you say "I built this" and they give you that look like you're some sort of genius and you are thinking inside "I built this and any retard with the tools can build one too" LOL

Yea it is by far rocket science

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Thanks everyone. But like I said, for th time being I think i will leave this one to the pros to build and once I see how everything comes together on mine, I will go back and make a better one when money comes my way

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom