• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Looking for some help with this subject. I'm still debating on how to buy my ar15. I know if u build it up from parts you will need tools. The question is what tools do u need?
    Basically if I build the upper, what tools would I need?
    If I build the lower what would I need?
    Now of those tools what are completely necessary. I can spend 3 hours to put one spring in if it means I don't have to put $50 down up front just to build it.

Finally if I just buy a full rifle do I new any tool for simple service and cleaning?
    Thanks in advance.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Lowers are easy. It took me less than an hour to build my lower. All I used was a vice grip, screwdriver, pliers, a small hammer, and I think I needed a small allen key to install the magpul trigger guard. Oh and lots of tape to protect the finish on the lower.

Uppers need a special tool, and you don't really save much money by building an upper over buying.

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    From what I can remember you need a punch for the gas tube, and there is a combo tool for the barrel nut, and flash suppressor. Need a vice and a vise clamp to put the upper receiver in while you torque the barrel down. SO a torque wrench for the proper ft lbs (somewhere around 35 I think). M4 uppers easier as you don't have to worry about the A2 style sight assembly.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Thank you everyone for the info.

Stu, I would def take you up on the offer, but if ur acct is accurate in that you live in silverspring, it'd be cheaper to order one on line and have it shipped, at the current price of gas. Thank you tho. Part of the thing is I went and looked up the tools for the ar15 and did a price check at brownells, and it was like $140ish. If I can get away spending $10 Or $20 on a wrench and just using my hammer and punch set that's fine with me. I plan on raiding brownells supply of ar parts anyways

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    You really need one of these too, shop around they arent too bad
    416CuSDO4hL._AA300_.jpg

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    Build my entire lower with normal hand tools and no block to mount in a vice(not sure why you 'need' it)

Only thing I haven't done is tighten the castle nut and stake, I've read you can tighten without a castle nut wrench, but I'm going to use one when I finish mine.

John

jimd27

Nov 12, 2011
    Jester1341 said:
    Build my entire lower with normal hand tools and no block to mount in a vice(not sure why you 'need' it)

Only thing I haven't done is tighten the castle nut and stake, I've read you can tighten without a castle nut wrench, but I'm going to use one when I finish mine.

John

Same here. Went step by step with the instructions on ar15.com. Used small set of vise grips covered in electrical tape to "press" in the pins. It was my first lower build. Pretty easy!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Same here. Went step by step with the instructions on ar15.com. Used small set of vise grips covered in electrical tape to "press" in the pins. It was my first lower build. Pretty easy!

Yup, this is the way to go for the lower. The vice grip method is much easier than fooling with punches. And assuming you have two functioning hands, you don't need the mag-well block.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Okay. Thanks everyone. I figured out how I will go about purchasing my ar. Unfortunately, it's still cheaper to buy a full rifle and swap out the few parts I want so that's what I'm going to do for now. Thank you everyone though

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    I mostly agree; it's basically cheaper to buy a rifle than build unless you plan to be swapping out a far amount of parts.

My first rifle was a used RRA LAR-15, I doubt I'll ever buy a 'stock' rifle again though :) to many tweeks I'll do now that I know about them.

John

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Just by building you get the personal satisfaction that you put together a gun from scratch

Same reason I am building my first ever AR. May cost me more in the long run but then it doesn't hit you very hard in the pocket if you space out the parts buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom