• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Question. Sorry if I'm hijacking, but I have some 55fmj with cannelures that my wife's uncle gave me. He doesn't remember the brand and they were stored loosely in a plastic container. What load data should I use since I don't know the specific brand of bullet?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Question. Sorry if I'm hijacking, but I have some 55fmj with cannelures that my wife's uncle gave me. He doesn't remember the brand and they were stored loosely in a plastic container. What load data should I use since I don't know the specific brand of bullet?

You don't need the brand.. Just use 55g fmj data.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    25.1gr H335 and whatever bullet I stuffed into the case mouth - always seemed to work great in my bolt gun and mid-length uppers.

55gr FMJ
    60gr Vmax
    69gr Nosler
    75gr Match (only used in the bolt gun due to OAL)

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    OK, I'm working up some 223 loads for an AR15

I started with a 55g jacketed projectile (Sierra) cause I have a box of 500 coming from Xtreme soon. Not looking for stellar accuracy but if I can beat commercial typical ammo, I'll be happy.

As interest, I've had no luck getting accuracy out of the extreme bullets. They are nice and cheap and it was reflected in my carbine tests:

xtreme on left, Sierra BlitzKing on the right. SBK is my go-to these days and they run about 27 cents a piece (versus 10 cents on the xtreme)...

bZclV3b.jpg

vKopZhr.jpg

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    As interest, I've had no luck getting accuracy out of the extreme bullets. They are nice and cheap and it was reflected in my carbine tests:

xtreme on left, Sierra BlitzKing on the right. SBK is my go-to these days and they run about 27 cents a piece (versus 10 cents on the xtreme)...

bZclV3b.jpg

vKopZhr.jpg

Nice. I like to see real world stuff like this. Thanks for posting

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    PaxFish,
    Good data.

I'll be comparing the Xtremes to other ammo like american eagle or such.
    I'll be using it for offhand shooting mostly.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I got similar results with extreme from my 308. Not a bad plinker but wouldn't want to put bets on em.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    25.1gr H335 and whatever bullet I stuffed into the case mouth - always seemed to work great in my bolt gun and mid-length uppers.

55gr FMJ
    60gr Vmax
    69gr Nosler
    75gr Match (only used in the bolt gun due to OAL)

Seems to be above max recommended powder charge...??
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

22.7 of H335 = 3,063 at 53,000 psi listed as max load.
    I've had issues like other with 'always finding' H335 so found the H322 easyer to find powder

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Seems to be above max recommended powder charge...??
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

22.7 of H335 = 3,063 at 53,000 psi listed as max load.
    I've had issues like other with 'always finding' H335 so found the H322 easyer to find powder

That was for my specific rifles, so YMMV. :)

In the bolt gun, no pressure signs. In a 16" Mid-length with a NATO chamber, the 69's were the heaviest rounds put thru it - no pressure signs exhibited. Loaded to magazine length (2.258" to be exact).

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    That was for my specific rifles, so YMMV. :)

In the bolt gun, no pressure signs. In a 16" Mid-length with a NATO chamber, the 69's were the heaviest rounds put thru it - no pressure signs exhibited. Loaded to magazine length (2.258" to be exact).

AHA moment for me.:D I'm loading for a AR15 semi and not bolt action. I think the H322 'extreme powder' a better choice than H335. JMHO
    One is a RRA and one is Del ton, both HB 16". I pretty much use 55 / 62
    gr BT FMJ. havn't used 69's. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    AHA moment for me.:D I'm loading for a AR15 semi and not bolt action. I think the H322 'extreme powder' a better choice than H335. JMHO
    One is a RRA and one is Del ton, both HB 16". I pretty much use 55 / 62
    gr BT FMJ. havn't used 69's. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

I always had ease finding H335, and the end results were always pleasing to me so I just stuck with it - even up to the 75gr rounds it ran very well.

If you compare the numbers in Lyman's 49th, you'll see they also tested some loads in a 20" AR (1:7), I've noticed Hodgdon has gotten a bit more conservative on their load data over the past year or two. So you'll probably find a good node somewhere close to or even above their published max. :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Down around 2250fps the upper was cycling fine, anyone experiment with lighter loads?
    Did the accuracy go to crap?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I finally got a chance to 1) try a new upper and scope combo 2) Try the Xtreme bullets with H335.
    If I could get them shooting better than Cheap 25c/round Tulamo, I'd be happy. Well they did group tighter. Out of 20 rounds, I'd have 1 flyer. The main group was about 1/2 the size of the Tulamo. I have yet to shoot any SMKs from my upper so I'll be eager to see how that goes but 25gr of H335 with the Xtreme Bullets sure beats Tulamo or Winchester 223 in both price and performance.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you take your time and do the load workup for a given bullet/powder combination, you should be able to load better than factory accurate ammo. I don't think I have failed at this, as long as the powder/bullet/cartridge combination was in the normally acceptable range of components..

Years ago there was far less choice in factory loads as they have available today, but you can equal or exceed it with well produced handloads at a much lesser price.. ;)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I finally got a chance to 1) try a new upper and scope combo 2) Try the Xtreme bullets with H335.
    If I could get them shooting better than Cheap 25c/round Tulamo, I'd be happy. Well they did group tighter. Out of 20 rounds, I'd have 1 flyer. The main group was about 1/2 the size of the Tulamo. I have yet to shoot any SMKs from my upper so I'll be eager to see how that goes but 25gr of H335 with the Xtreme Bullets sure beats Tulamo or Winchester 223 in both price and performance.

Your SMK's are going to be ridiculous, once you dial in the perfect load for them.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'll be working up more accurate loads with the SMKs starting with Varget probably.

For the cheap Xtreame bullets I'll leave it where it is for the first batch of 500 and use up my H335 with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom