• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    Hate to bring back up an old thread, but I need some serious clarification quick. I was at a local gun shop last night and spoke with a sales guy who says that a Smith & Wesson MP10 AR10 WILL BE BANNED due to the fact the barrel is under 20 inches? I planned to purchase one but decided to put it at the bottom of my list for next year after being told a few months ago that its cash and carry and will not be affected. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? if it is, I seriously need to bump it up my list.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My understanding was because the have two "evil" features(detachable magazine and a flash suppressor) they will be banned after 10/1.

Detachable magazine is not counted as one of the two criteria.

IIRC the wording is a detachable mag PLUS 2 of the following:

Foldable stock
    Flash Suppressor (NOT a compensator, apparently they are OK!)
    Grenade launcher

If I'm off, please feel free to correct me.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Detachable magazine is not counted as one of the two criteria.

IIRC the wording is a centerfired semi-auto rifles with detachable mag PLUS 2 of the following:

Foldable stock
    Grenade launcher

If I'm off, please feel free to correct me.

fify

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    My understanding was because the have two "evil" features(detachable magazine and a flash suppressor) they will be banned after 10/1.

Detachable mag isn't an evil feature itself. I believe that it's worded that rifles with a detachable mag that have any two of the following:.......

So the mag is like a pre-req, but not evil like those horrible flash suppressors and folding stocks.

EDIT: sheesh, I'm slow.... I need to quit paying attention to this stupid conference call!! What they said....

Jmarko

Apr 8, 2013
    Hate to bring back up an old thread, but I need some serious clarification quick. I was at a local gun shop last night and spoke with a sales guy who says that a Smith & Wesson MP10 AR10 WILL BE BANNED due to the fact the barrel is under 20 inches? I planned to purchase one but decided to put it at the bottom of my list for next year after being told a few months ago that its cash and carry and will not be affected. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? if it is, I seriously need to bump it up my list.

It doesn't have to do with barrel length, it's overall length which I believe can't be under 31". Some one else correct me if I'm wrong

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It doesn't have to do with barrel length, it's overall length which I believe can't be under 31". Some one else correct me if I'm wrong

(III) A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS AN OVERALL LENGTH OF LESS THAN 29 INCHES;

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Would take a ~9" barrel to get a M&P10 under 29" OAL :) You better have a SBR stamp too :P

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    So of you bought your AR10 w/folding stock and flash suppressor before 10-1 then your fine?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    awww..... here is a perfect example
    .... I was was buying this riffle below on 10/2, would I be able to transfer it here...

That one doesn't have ANY evil features. Might as well get one w/ a threaded barrel.

So of you bought your AR10 w/folding stock and flash suppressor before 10-1 then your fine?

ARs don't have folding stocks. Telescoping is not the same as folding per the law (think AK side/under folder, SIG556, etc.) Telescoping is not an evil feature (the text was struck from the law.)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

yes. What AR 10 has a folding stock? Remember telescoping stocks are still legal after 10-1. Telescoping and folding are not the same as far as 281 is concerned.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    awww..... here is a perfect example

Based on:

IIRC the wording is a detachable mag PLUS 2 of the following:

Foldable stock
    Grenade launcher

.... I was was buying this riffle below on 10/2, would I be able to transfer it here...

****Notice there is nothing on the end of the barrel****

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=350668743

Yes, I just bought one C&C through Bass Pro.

From the S&W PDF Specsheet - 811310 - Model M&P10 Compliant

Attachments

• M&P10 ORC.JPG
      M&P10 ORC.JPG
      5.8 KB · Views: 104

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    SCAR 17's will be a bit iffy. They have a folding stock, but can be outfitted with a compensator instead of a flash suppressor. I was there the day the house committees debated this and at least in their mind they made a difference between compensators and flash suppressors.

The text of the bill reads:
    “FLASH SUPPRESSOR” MEANS A DEVICE THAT FUNCTIONS, OR IS INTENDED TO FUNCTION, TO PERCEPTIBLY REDUCE OR REDIRECT MUZZLE FLASH FROM THE SHOOTER’S FIELD OF VISION.

Compensators aren't specifically designed to redirect flash but rather they are designed to affect the movement of the barrel and/or recoil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom