• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    It was explained to me that non 5.56 ARs would be exempt. Because those ARs weren't or aren't based on an actual assault rifle that has the so called copycats.
    You'd have to check though for calibers that 5.56 uppers can fit on. Also one issue that doesn't help are lowers that are marked multi-caliber since it doesn't rule out the 5.56 systems. If its 308 they are dimensionally quite different. I transferred 2 308 lowers through Continental Arms and these are the distinctions they explained to me.

On the 2nd lower transferred through there they googled up the M5 from Aero and clearly saw it was 308 and were satisfied in their understanding of Md Law and Attorney Gen interpretation to just release it to me via federal form/NICS only. On the first set they stopped me part way through the Md forms but we didnt have as much discussion about it as during my 2nd transfer.

I'm hopefully going to get my next build up on my youtube channel soon. Plan is to video the assembly instead if just talking about it afterwards.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    It's called 'Your Arsenal Advisor'. I advise on stuff I do with my arsenal to share with others who might benefit in some way. We'll see where it goes. My older son helped me set it up so it's also an activity we can do together.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    It's called 'Your Arsenal Advisor'. I advise on stuff I do with my arsenal to share with others who might benefit in some way. We'll see where it goes. My older son helped me set it up so it's also an activity we can do together.

Very cool. I'll subscribe next time I'm online.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Thanks! And speaking of other calibers, check out .338 Federal. It fits in the 308 mags but even bigger than 308, same case though.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm considering it.
    It is capable of supersonic and subsonic loads. It is very easy to suppress. The only parts changes from a 223/556 are the barrel and flash hider. Other than the barrel and flash hider, it will accept all 223/556 mods. If you want to see one, let me know and we'll figure something out so you and have some range time with it.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    It is capable of supersonic and subsonic loads. It is very easy to suppress. The only parts changes from a 223/556 are the barrel and flash hider. Other than the barrel and flash hider, it will accept all 223/556 mods. If you want to see one, let me know and we'll figure something out so you and have some range time with it.

That is intriguing. Thanks for the offer!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I have Aero lowers and have an Aero upper for a build I'm currently engaged in.

If you want a cheap barrel that is really decent, look here. It is about $120 shipped.
    http://www.kakindustry.com/contract-556-16-inch-carbine-melonite-barrel

Good uppers on here from an IP.
    http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Upper_Receivers_s/2642.htm

Those barrels are amazing.

For the record, all green mountain barrels are absolutely phenomenal. A good large percentage of the American made barrels are made from blanks they are turning out, and I'm here to tell you that their barrels are impeccably rifled. I have literally NEVER seen one of their barrels that had any kind of wonky lands and grooves, nothing but strong beautiful perfect rifling.

I have a green mountain 10/22 barrel in 4140 I had nitrided that literally has more rounds than I could possibly count through it and not the barest beginning of wear on it. Granted .22lr is not a barn burner, but it's still amazing.

They also produced the barrels for the vz-2008s, again, I had mine melonite nitrided, and the performance has been astonishing.

I also bought an upper from JSE surplus that had a green mountain nitrided barrel on it, 4150 CMV, basically the twin of these barrels here, and I shit you not it shot the tightest group I have ever shot in my life.
    holyshitgroup.jpg

Point is, nitrided barrels are the shnizz, I have come to like them much better than chrome lined ones, and green mountain can not be beat. These barrels are machined from green mountain blanks, btw, in case you thought I was crazy.

In order of case depth from deepest to shallowest (the shallower the harder) it goes
    4140, 4150, stainless 410, stainless 416

there is a lot that goes into it to consider, but basically 4150 is generally the best compromise, very deep case, very hard case, and very consistent over the life of the barrel

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Those barrels are amazing.

For the record, all green mountain barrels are absolutely phenomenal. A good large percentage of the American made barrels are made from blanks they are turning out, and I'm here to tell you that their barrels are impeccably rifled. I have literally NEVER seen one of their barrels that had any kind of wonky lands and grooves, nothing but strong beautiful perfect rifling.

I have a green mountain 10/22 barrel in 4140 I had nitrided that literally has more rounds than I could possibly count through it and not the barest beginning of wear on it. Granted .22lr is not a barn burner, but it's still amazing.

They also produced the barrels for the vz-2008s, again, I had mine melonite nitrided, and the performance has been astonishing.

I also bought an upper from JSE surplus that had a green mountain nitrided barrel on it, 4150 CMV, basically the twin of these barrels here, and I shit you not it shot the tightest group I have ever shot in my life.
    holyshitgroup.jpg

Point is, nitrided barrels are the shnizz, I have come to like them much better than chrome lined ones, and green mountain can not be beat. These barrels are machined from green mountain blanks, btw, in case you thought I was crazy.

In order of case depth from deepest to shallowest (the shallower the harder) it goes
    4140, 4150, stainless 410, stainless 416

there is a lot that goes into it to consider, but basically 4150 is generally the best compromise, very deep case, very hard case, and very consistent over the life of the barrel
    I got one of the barrels from KAK for Mrs. DA's build. She is looking forward to it being finished so she can shoot it in the summer.

I'm also looking at doing another 300BLK build to convert my dad to the dark side for deer hunting.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I got one of the barrels from KAK for Mrs. DA's build. She is looking forward to it being finished so she can shoot it in the summer.

I'm also looking at doing another 300BLK build to convert my dad to the dark side for deer hunting.

depending on who did the nitride, there may be salt in the bore. If there is, just shoot it for awhile till it stabilizes.

I find that cheap steel cased ammo works WONDERS for this. Shot the residue right out of my vz-2008 barrel for me lickety split. Afterwards it will shine like black volcaninc glass.

The only par that seems to be showing any wear on most of my nitrided barrel guns is the gas port, and that is GREATLY reduced.

I brought one of my nitride barreled uppers to Clandestine's AR class and was AMAZED to find after using his borescope just how well that barrel had withstood all the wolf and Tula I have fed it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    depending on who did the nitride, there may be salt in the bore. If there is, just shoot it for awhile till it stabilizes.

I find that cheap steel cased ammo works WONDERS for this. Shot the residue right out of my vz-2008 barrel for me lickety split. Afterwards it will shine like black volcaninc glass.

The only par that seems to be showing any wear on most of my nitrided barrel guns is the gas port, and that is GREATLY reduced.

I brought one of my nitride barreled uppers to Clandestine's AR class and was AMAZED to find after using his borescope just how well that barrel had withstood all the wolf and Tula I have fed it.
    I can't run steel cased ammo in one of my AR's. It has FTE on every round and I have to use a wooden block and mallet on the charging handle.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I can't run steel cased ammo in one of my AR's. It has FTE on every round and I have to use a wooden block and mallet on the charging handle.

that is REALLY tight headspace. I had that problem with two barrels.

One the headspace was so tight I had to slam it home to get it to close on a .223 go gauge, and would not close at all on a 5.56, the other the threads were screwed up or the extension was cross threaded.

If the headpace is just tight, shooting it will cause it to eventually be able to use steel case. After about 400 rounds, maybe 200 if you shoot very rapidly, that headpace will settle in to where you can run steel case.

If the case is stuck AFTER firing, that's another story.

If your chamber is not chromed or melonited, you can correct the problem

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    that is REALLY tight headspace. I had that problem with two barrels.

One the headspace was so tight I had to slam it home to get it to close on a .223 go gauge, and would not close at all on a 5.56, the other the threads were screwed up or the extension was cross threaded.

If the headpace is just tight, shooting it will cause it to eventually be able to use steel case. After about 400 rounds, maybe 200 if you shoot very rapidly, that headpace will settle in to where you can run steel case.

If the case is stuck AFTER firing, that's another story.

If your chamber is not chromed or melonited, you can correct the problem
    It would fire, but the bolt would fail to disengage from the locking lugs. Bar in mind that I have about 5-7k down the barrel of this rifle. I could shoot steel cased ammo up to the 3500 toils Mark, but after that it wouldn't extract.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom