• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    Okay, so I'm looking into building an AR-15 over the next year or so a part or two at a time and as cheaply as possible. Used parts, whatever works. I currently live out in Washington County, but am planning to move this year, potentially (re:hopefully) to PA.

The way I understand it the only regulated part is the lower. That has all the usual background checks and such, but are there any special hoops to jump through in MD? Do I have to present a finished rifle for inspection of some sort?

Other than that, what manufacturers should I look at for a quality, but affordable lower? I know about Palmetto State Armory and Anderson's, Spikes, etc, but don't know if I'm missing a gem.

Uppers- what to look for, what to avoid?

Muzzle devices- Do they have to be pinned and welded? I've heard that and would like someone with experience to chime in.

Basically my goal with the initial build is to have a functioning AR. That's about it. I can upgrade triggers and such later if I feel that I need it.

Any and all wisdom appreciated. I'm not new to firearms or shooting, just to all the ins and outs in the people's republic here.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I read somewhere on here (but can't seem to find it) that an AR lower purchase exempts you from the HQL requirement because it is considered a regulated firearm. Is this true? If so, is there any red tape involved?

Last edited:

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    If you bought the lower post 10/1/13 make sure you only put a heavy barrel on it, as long as you are living in MD.

Copy that. I actually prefer a heavier barrel, so I have no issues with that. Of course if I do end up in PA, and haven't bought an upper yet, I may look around for a medium profile barrel and see if that's a cheaper option.

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Muzzle devices- Do they have to be pinned and welded? I've heard that and would like someone with experience to chime in.

Only if the barrel length is 14.5", which when coupled with an HBAR isn't so bad considering the life of the barrel. So long as you're complacent with the muzzle device for the life of the barrel and not being able to take it off once it's pinned and welded to the barrel, you're golden.

Good luck on your quest for your AR as I'm sure you will enjoy it!

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    Only if the barrel length is 14.5", which when coupled with an HBAR isn't so bad considering the life of the barrel. So long as you're complacent with the muzzle device for the life of the barrel and not being able to take it off once it's pinned and welded to the barrel, you're golden.

Good luck on your quest for your AR as I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Gotcha. I was planning on a 16" or 18" barrel anyways so no issues there.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Okay, so I'm looking into building an AR-15 over the next year or so a part or two at a time and as cheaply as possible. Used parts, whatever works. I currently live out in Washington County, but am planning to move this year, potentially (re:hopefully) to PA.

The way I understand it the only regulated part is the lower. That has all the usual background checks and such, but are there any special hoops to jump through in MD? Do I have to present a finished rifle for inspection of some sort?

Other than that, what manufacturers should I look at for a quality, but affordable lower? I know about Palmetto State Armory and Anderson's, Spikes, etc, but don't know if I'm missing a gem.

Uppers- what to look for, what to avoid?

Basically my goal with the initial build is to have a functioning AR. That's about it. I can upgrade triggers and such later if I feel that I need it.

Any and all wisdom appreciated. I'm not new to firearms or shooting, just to all the ins and outs in the people's republic here.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I read somewhere on here (but can't seem to find it) that an AR lower purchase exempts you from the HQL requirement because it is considered a regulated firearm. Is this true? If so, is there any red tape involved?

The lower is considered the "firearm" under federal law. In MD you have to fill out a BATFE Form 4473 and the MSP 77R, wait until the 8th calendar day to pick it up.

I would get any lower you can afford, that isn't a polymer lower.

If you can get an Aero assembled upper (with dust cover and forward assist already installed), it will save you the hassle of dealing with installing those parts on your build.

The muzzle device does not have to be pinned and welded, unless the barrel is less than 16".

I'm in FredCo and I have all the tools to assemble an AR. If you want some help, let me know and I'll assist in the building process.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    The lower is considered the "firearm" under federal law. In MD you have to fill out a BATFE Form 4473 and the MSP 77R, wait until the 8th calendar day to pick it up.

I would get any lower you can afford, that isn't a polymer lower.

If you can get an Aero assembled upper (with dust cover and forward assist already installed), it will save you the hassle of dealing with installing those parts on your build.

The muzzle device does not have to be pinned and welded, unless the barrel is less than 16".

I'm in FredCo and I have all the tools to assemble an AR. If you want some help, let me know and I'll assist in the building process.

Awesome. When I actually get around to the build I'll let you know if I need anything.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

On your HQL application it gives you the option of entering the information for a regulated firearm you already own. Enter the info for your lower, and you will be training exempt.

Besides filling out the 77r and waiting 7 days, no other red tape.

I spentca good amount of time looking for the original post concerning this, and could not find it either.

Good luck

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    On your HQL application it gives you the option of entering the information for a regulated firearm you already own. Enter the info for your lower, and you will be training exempt.

Besides filling out the 77r and waiting 7 days, no other red tape.

I spentca good amount of time looking for the original post concerning this, and could not find it either.

Good luck

Just the training section or fully HQL exempt? Finger prints and all? I understand that my hunter's safety certification makes me training exempt, but that I still have to do all the rest. Is that correct? Lots of mixed signals on the web.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads