• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR or AK

• Total voters

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    Poll is meaningless for several reasons :-( The main thing is it is trying to trick people into giving their opinion on something not squarely stated. What's SHTF? A riot? Zombies? Katrina?

What is the rifle for? Hunting? Fighting mimes? A long range session while you wait out the in-laws visit?

Are you solo? Or do you have buddies? How about a supply train? Both of these weapons were not designed with the idea that Jerimiah Johnson would be using them--they are military weapons designed for use within a team setting. A really big team in the case of the Russians!

Anyway I haven't picked up an AR yet, so obviously I voted AK, but give me a year or so :-)

Gundahar

remember the part about pretending the story has no holes and taking the poll at face value. lol.

looks like a lot of love for the AR thus far

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I keep trying to batteries in my carry handle irons but they just don't seem to work. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. :D

AR. For one, the ammo SHOULD weigh less and if I'm walking, that matters. Two, this is a NATO country, 5.56 should be easier to get more of.

You are using the wrong accessory :D

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    AR.

I have both and had AKs before owning ARs.

You can carry twice as much 5.56

I have an HBAR that has virtually no recoil. Never shot an AK that was even close in that respect.

Then you've never fire a correctly setup/tuned AKM. When I get mine back, you gotta try it out.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    How about this?! Just got it back. My AR74 in 5.56x39. Ain't she a beaut?

ha6uqemu.jpg

rfdallas

Feb 18, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    AR any day. I was trained on it and you can hit your target the first shot. AK's are good but nothing beats an AR. and they don't jam or doesn't need cleaned as much as people say they do. its the best weapon out there for combat. hands down. or the U.S. Army would be using one like an AK if it was better. But they are not. Most only know what they read and most were not in combat to back up what they say. Just my Two Cents. Because you shoot at the range once in a while and it jams does not mean that's how our combat weapons are.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    AR any day. I was trained on it and you can hit your target the first shot. AK's are good but nothing beats an AR. and they don't jam or doesn't need cleaned as much as people say they do. its the best weapon out there for combat. hands down. or the U.S. Army would be using one like an AK if it was better. But they are not. Most only know what they read and most were not in combat to back up what they say. Just my Two Cents. Because you shoot at the range once in a while and it jams does not mean that's how our combat weapons are.

:lol2:Thats the funniest thing I read today:D

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Ak for this poll but Mini-14 folder ;)

I would go with the FS2000 but it can a problem with light primer strikes on some Wolf I have shot. Mini bang everytime same with ak

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    :lol2:Thats the funniest thing I read today:D

He does have a point, the AR just needs to be lubed well. A lot of people do not lube their ARs well enough and that causes a lot of the malfunctions. The ARs of today are a far cry from the Vietnam and 80's era versions. I also think the military has realized the benefit of using better lubricants. Unfortunately the civilians have better access to the best lubricants.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    He does have a point, the AR just needs to be lubed well. A lot of people do not lube their ARs well enough and that causes a lot of the malfunctions. The ARs of today are a far cry from the Vietnam and 80's era versions. I also think the military has realized the benefit of using better lubricants. Unfortunately the civilians have better access to the best lubricants.

I have something around 4000 rounds through one of my ARs and it's only been properly cleaned three times.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

AK's use mud for lube...does that count:lol2:...there will always be debates for or against AK/AR vice versa...I have both and like shooting both...:D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    AK's use mud for lube...does that count:lol2:...there will always be debates for or against AK/AR vice versa...I have both and like shooting both...:D

Either can fail/blow the F up/ or just crap the bed in general given the perfect storm of conditions.

Both are created by man, neither is infallable. ;)

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

I have no real issue with the AK it it what it is. It does nothing for me "looks wise" and that is my opinion. I have buddies that rave about the AK and I am sure it is a fine weapon for me I like form and function the ak just functions.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    I'm going with the AR for a lot of the stated reasons and this one as well. There are going to be 'replacement' parts available from multiple 'sources' as one bugs out. I'm reminded of the exchange between Mel Gibson and Sam Elliott in "We were Soldiers" Gibson asks Elliott if he's going to take a M-16 and Elliott replies that if it gets to the point that he needs one there will be plenty lying around

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    AR given the scenario.

Realistically 1,000 rounds of 5.56 weighs ~25-30 lbs and 7.62x39 is north of 35 lbs.

For that weight I would rather have 3,000 rounds of .22, water, and food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom