• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    I had been trying to first decide between whether I should go for a red dot or a magnified scope (this is before even trying to pick out a manufacturer and model) and have two questions:

1. I did a search but couldn't find anything on this particular model of this scope. I came across this NcStar USS (Ultimate Sighting System) Mark III scope/red dot combo on slickguns.com: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030H59PG...tiveASIN=B0030H59PG&adid=0T25R91PVNTJ1Q1AH3MA.

Anybody ever use this USS model? I have read about NCStar around on the forum and it seems the opinions are pretty divided: some say avoid like the plague as they are for air rifles, and others seem to have had pretty decent experiences with them. I am more wondering about the comfort/feasibility of using the red dot mounted on top of the scope. The scope already seems to be mounted high and I am concerned that using the red dot might be a bit awkward.

I was considering it more seriously when it was at $94 but the price just jumped up to $131 so now my doubts are becoming more of a concern.

2. I am also thinking about just saving up another 100-200 and trying to find a used aimpoint (or comparable) red dot. I would then probably pick up a magnifier at some point. Anybody have any experience with the third party less expensive magnifiers? I found a few on Amazon that ranged from $50-150 and a couple have decent reviews (although the caliber being used wasn't always specified).

**Edit: Forgot to mention that this would be on a 223 AR. It would be used mostly for indoor range plinking in the immediate future but I would like to purchase optics that would give me the most versatility. This AR would also be my SHTF weapon

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Buy once cry once, get a decent optic.

I have some forgiveness for NCSTAR for some apps but these are junk.

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    It all depends what you are going to use it for and what caliber your using

Sorry, forgot to mention that this would be on a 223 AR. It would be used mostly for indoor range plinking in the immediate future but would like to purchase optics that would give me the most versatility. This AR would also be my SHTF weapon (original post edited to specify this).

fordtruck317

Apr 9, 2011
    Middle River
    I have had a center point red dot and a 3x9x40 leapers scope on my AR. I didnt have any problems at the range. If I used it everyday, I would buy better.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Check out a Primary Arms clone. I wouldn't use NCStar if it was free.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I have a Vortex Strikefire on my AR, its not cheap but compared to Aim Point and EOTech its 1/5th the price and they sell a magnifier for it as well. I paid about 160 shipped and it has good reviews, comes with a mount and i give it a thumbs up for what its worth. Never could understand why people pay for a red dot what you can buy a great handgun for.

fordtruck317

Apr 9, 2011
    Middle River
    I have a Vortex Strikefire on my AR, its not cheap but compared to Aim Point and EOTech its 1/5th the price and they sell a magnifier for it as well. I paid about 160 shipped and it has good reviews, comes with a mount and i give it a thumbs up for what its worth. Never could understand why people pay for a red dot what you can buy a great handgun for.

I agree. I have read some good reviews on the Strikefire but I haven't tried it. Yet

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    I have a Strikefire it's ok. As soon as I had enough money I bought a Compm4. Honestly, I see no difference in in the dot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom