AR-15 Regulated and Non-Regulated Differences?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    I'm looking to buy an AR chambered in 5.56 but am not sure the difference between cash and carry and the dreaded 7 day wait.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    The difference can also be price. Would you guys agree that most HBARs are more than regular rifles. If all other specs and accessories are the same? I love my HBAR and my regular rifle. If you're on a budget and wanna save a few bucks get the regular barrel. The wait isn't bad. Gives you time to go out of state and get mags! (I could be wrong about the price)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    The difference can also be price. Would you guys agree that most HBARs are more than regular rifles. If all other specs and accessories are the same? I love my HBAR and my regular rifle. If you're on a budget and wanna save a few bucks get the regular barrel. The wait isn't bad. Gives you time to go out of state and get mags! (I could be wrong about the price)
    Not really, I've bought HBAR's that were a lot less than their regulated counterparts.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    MSP memo 96-1 states that all AR-15 variants and imitations are regulated except the COLT H-BAR. Whether or not an MSP auditor would question an unregulated transfer of a non-colt HBAR is up for debate. I'd work under the assumption that its colt hbar only, or you or the FFL or both could have issues later.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    MSP memo 96-1 states that all AR-15 variants and imitations are regulated except the COLT H-BAR. Whether or not an MSP auditor would question an unregulated transfer of a non-colt HBAR is up for debate. I'd work under the assumption that its colt hbar only, or you or the FFL or both could have issues later.

Can you please post a copy or link for that memo? Thanks.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    From what I've read it's Colt HBAR and its clones. And the determining factor is barrel profile. Heavy barrel profile = cash and carry

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If you're over 21 and you're not specifically wanting an HBAR, there is no reason not to just endure the 7 day wait and get a standard rifle or carbine. HBARs are (as the name would imply) heavy.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

No, that is NOT what it states. It states that sporter variants are NOT regulated. I have an original copy of the memo, and I know what it states! I have posted it multiple times now.

M

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick

For whatever it is worth I have purchased a Bushmaster H-BAR cash and carry from a shop in MD.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If you're over 21 and you're not specifically wanting an HBAR, there is no reason not to just endure the 7 day wait and get a standard rifle or carbine. HBARs are (as the name would imply) heavy.
    I'd like to know why you think they are so "heavy", I have a 16" HBAR that's no more heavy than a regulated 20". The weight difference between it and my other 16" rifles is minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom