AR-15 Purchase. Bushmaster? Which is fully compliant?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Once upon a time, all firearms were "cash and carry." No background check, no waiting period. In that simple time, all civilian AR 15s were made by Colt, and there were only a few models to choose from. One, the Colt HBAR was favored by serious target shooters.

Then the Shadow of Regulation fell across the land. It was proposed that all self loading firearms be banned outright. Then the antis were persuaded to ban only Evil firearms, but allow Hunting and Target guns. Our people would not surrender, although the outlook was bleak. (Our own Stephen Hunter proposed that AR15s be made Class III, available with a tax stamp and onerous restrictions, same as machine guns.)

Finally our current system of Regulated Firearms was set up. And when the List of Regulated Firearms was hammered out, our people still fought on. When the Antis declared, "The AR 15 is Evil!" our people countered with, "The AR 15 is the prefered, state-of-the-art rifle for serious target competition." This confounded the Antis, who meekly replied, "How can we distinguish between the Evil AR15s and the Target AR15s?" And in that simple time, the answer was, "The Target AR15s say 'HBAR' on the barrel."

And thus the "HBAR exception" was codified in Maryland law. It's not stupid- it represents a small but hard won victory from a simpler time.

derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    Your right I will get whatever I like hbar or not. I can play with my other guns while I wait a week. I'm just one of those instant gratification sorts. I hate waiting especially when I'm paying upfront. The big brother to the M&P22 seems like a good choice. Just don't want to make any rushed choices then regret it when I learn enough about the AR platform and want to change up things. Any negatives on the Smith & Wesson?

Prz

Feb 28, 2010
    Parkville
    I also bought a Bushmaster XM-15E2S HBar and was cash and carry. Mine has the removable handle with an aimpoint mounted on top. Works great.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Dont be confused either, it has to say HBAR...my 20" fixed stock Rock River .308 doesnt say HBAR on it...had to wait 7 days.

Your RR .308 is an AR-10 and not an AR-15... LOL, Amazing though isn't it. What can you do... I just got an RPD receiver...

AK mag based RPK, regulated.
    Belt Fed RPD.... Cash and Carry, because it's not an assault weapon! :shocking:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Your right I will get whatever I like hbar or not. I can play with my other guns while I wait a week. I'm just one of those instant gratification sorts. I hate waiting especially when I'm paying upfront. The big brother to the M&P22 seems like a good choice. Just don't want to make any rushed choices then regret it when I learn enough about the AR platform and want to change up things. Any negatives on the Smith & Wesson?

I have the S&W in 5.45x39, and it runs GREAT... right out of the box it was a great shooter and I am very happy with it... I assume the quality is likely to be the same for the .223 upper and you'd likely be very happy with it.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Your RR .308 is an AR-10 and not an AR-15... LOL, Amazing though isn't it. What can you do... I just got an RPD receiver...

His RR is a LAR-8 NOT an AR-10.;)

Most RRA's don't have any barrel markings per se - just a 3 digit code.

derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    The Bushmaster XM-15E2S seems to be a popular choice. But I'm also considering the S&W. Larry sent me over a massive chart that's making my head spin right now but should aid in making my decision.

derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    That would be "The Chart". Unfortunately it's all in another language. I'm more interested in knowing which are the best on the chart. But I know "the best" is subjective. It appears to me the best as far as "The Chart" is concerned goes from left to right (best to least best). So if that's the case it looks like the M&P 15 is right in the middle. Good enough for me. I've also heard good reviews on the DoubleStar AR-15 and the price seems right. I'm no expert shooter, I just want a reliable AR-15. It's not like it's going to get a ton of use. But 500 rounds every 6 months or so. I don't want garbage, but I don't need top of the line. I've had great experiences with my current collection (see signature) those decisions and parts were easier to understand. I'm especially happy with the Cougar 8000. Smooth as butter.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I've had some experience with Bushmaster ARs....and I'm NOT a fan at all. You couldn't pay me to own one. If all you do is plink now and again, brand really doesn't matter much. Heavy shooting/accuracy/competition? Stay away from Bushmaster. Low end junk IMO.

Oh and the "Chart" is excellent. :D Yes, quality goes from left to right (best-worst). A few brands are excluded, though not sure why. LaRue is right up there with Colt/BCM. Double shielded handguards make the rifle MUCH heavier and a bit more cumbersome, but are a MUST if you do lots of shooting. I've seen regular handguards melt....

derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    Thanks for clarifying X-Factor, I'm definitely going to just be a plinker, competition shooting isn't something I see myself doing (though stranger things have happened) and it's not like I can conceal carry this bad boy. :)

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL

His RR is a LAR-8 NOT an AR-10.;)

Most RRA's don't have any barrel markings per se - just a 3 digit code.

Its a confusing law, no matter how much its explained lol.

The barrel says 7.62x51 on it, I cant remember if theres anything else. Ill look next time I pull her out.

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    Soooo... which one of our dealers on the forums will sell a non-Colt HBAR cash and carry? Preferably closer to western MD but I'll travel to the Howard County/Baltimore area where my friends live. :D

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Fulton Armory sold me one at a gun show and so did the owner of the now closed Walter's Gun Chamber.

When I bought a DTI from Gun Connection Dan said he was treating it as a regulated rifle because the barrel did reduce in diameter under the hand guards. I think Dan was selling some of the other Del-Ton's cash and carry if they were indeed heavy barrel.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Quick question anyone have any experience with Armalites? My dad bought a new one about 10 years ago and its still NIB its a basic A2 Rifle

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Quick question anyone have any experience with Armalites? My dad bought a new one about 10 years ago and its still NIB its a basic A2 Rifle

I had the AR 10, I loved it... great little rifle. Did have a really light disconnector and would bump fire a little too easily.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom