• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANDFORGOTTEN

Sep 28, 2012
    WA state
    I am new to Maryland and now decided I would like to purchase an AR-15 or similar. I have been trying to make sense of laws and have been to a couple of local gunshops but then found these two websites today showing AR-15 HBAR not allowed to be sold in Maryland.

Links:

http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_Carbine_Rifle_p/rfth16-0.htm

http://grabagun.com/colt-s-manufacturing-ar-15-5-56-16-hbar-blk-20rd.html

Are they totally off the reservation or am I messed up in understanding MD laws? I thought rifles were regulated and only assult pistols were banned?

Thanks for your help.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    The Del-ton has a 30rnd mag and can't be transferred here due to that.

The grabagun item only says "may" not be available.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    If you want an AR from a company and it comes with a 30 round magazine they can't ship it to Maryland because of the magazine capacity. You can try and ask them to leave the 30 rounder out of the deal or to switch it with a 20 rounder. If they don't want to bother with that then screw them and find a gun store in Maryland or go to a gun show and get what you want for a price you're cool with. You can buy a stripped lower from an FFL (gun shop,dealer) and order whatever upper half, stock set-up and any other parts you want and have everything shipped directly to your home address.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Oh, they can ship it to a MD FFL just fine.
    But your MD FFL can't transfer it to you and you can't receive it by law.
    Some vendors will substitute a 20.
    You can always call and ask for that or ask if they'll knock $10 off the price and ship no magazine.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It's been discussed to death on threads here. I am not a lawyer but here's a synopsis: There is only one exception noted in the regulated firearms list, that is Colt Sporter HBAR. Someone has posted an old letter from the MSP stating that any "sporter" model of an "assault" rifle on the list is non-regulated. Some sellers have posted that they will sell anything stamped "HBAR" as unregulated.

The bottom line is that what you can buy new as unregulated is what an FFL will sell you as unregulated.

That being said, what I suggest you do is contact the Industry Partners on here with your requirements and for pricing. I know at least one is selling the second model you posted.

In a land of stupid firearms laws, this is one of the more stupid.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I am new to Maryland and now decided I would like to purchase an AR-15 or similar. I have been trying to make sense of laws and have been to a couple of local gunshops but then found these two websites today showing AR-15 HBAR not allowed to be sold in Maryland.

Links:

http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_Carbine_Rifle_p/rfth16-0.htm

http://grabagun.com/colt-s-manufacturing-ar-15-5-56-16-hbar-blk-20rd.html

Are they totally off the reservation or am I messed up in understanding MD laws? I thought rifles were regulated and only assult pistols were banned?

Thanks for your help.

Del-Ton and Stag have erroneously noted that certain rifle configurations were illegal in MD. They get screwed up and think MD is like NJ or NY. The mag rule and hearing "regulated firearm" causes stupidity.

Free Radical

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 14, 2012
    yOur Nation's Capital
    Someone has posted an old letter from the MSP stating that any "sporter" model of an "assault" rifle on the list is non-regulated.

So is that how the state sees it currently? I've been considering the sporter AR-15, but I'd sleep easier knowing that no one is going to throw me in a cage for reading the law a certain way. Also, more importantly, are sellers in Maryland comfortable enough in that interpretation of the law to sell the sporter AR-15 as an unregulated firearm??

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It's only an issue for the FFL putting his license on the line. You face no legal jeopardy. The only issue for you is convenience, and whether you have to endure the 7 - 14 day wait and make multiple trips to the store, while paying a $10 convenience fee for the privilege.

If Billy Bob's Guns 'n' Adult Videos sells you a Varmint Weight Barrel as an HBAR, no one is going to kick your door in, shoot your wife, and molest your dog. They'll take it up with Billy Bob, not you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom