• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonboyhst

Apr 13, 2023
    Park City KY
    I have a PSA 16" M4, with Vltor a5 system installed, with a Sprinco green spring and running the A5-H2 Buffer. When running IMI m193 ammo, the ejection pattern is around 1 o'clock, if we run any standard 223 ammo or Wolf steel case the pattern is normal around 3 to 4 o'clock, We have tried a new Wilson Combat complete BCG, and have changed out and tried all the Vltor A5 heavy buffers with no change at all to my pattern? I have never had a rifle act like this, what is going on and would you be worried?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a PSA 16" M4, with Vltor a5 system installed, with a Sprinco green spring and running the A5-H2 Buffer. When running IMI m193 ammo, the ejection pattern is around 1 o'clock, if we run any standard 223 ammo or Wolf steel case the pattern is normal around 3 to 4 o'clock, We have tried a new Wilson Combat complete BCG, and have changed out and tried all the Vltor A5 heavy buffers with no change at all to my pattern? I have never had a rifle act like this, what is going on and would you be worried?
    I answered in the buffer spring thread, if all else fails, go with an adjustable gas block, A good one. There are plenty of micky-mouse adjustables out there. Avoid set-screw types.

Is it only the ejection pattern that bothers you, or are there other problems as well?

ETA: Have you tried the gun without the 'donut' around the extractor spring?

jonboyhst

Apr 13, 2023
    Park City KY
    I answered in the buffer spring thread, if all else fails, go with an adjustable gas block, A good one. There are plenty of micky-mouse adjustables out there. Avoid set-screw types.

Is it only the ejection pattern that bothers you, or are there other problems as well?
    It appear to be running ok what little we fired it. I have never seen this type problem, it is a Frankenstein build.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Hmm. I have at least two that eject forward like that. I'm just getting around to being curious why. My only problem with it is that it makes it a bit harder to find the cases forward of the fire line. My Colts all eject far over my right shoulder.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Why did you choose the green spring? That is Springcos rifle spring.

As outrider said, i would go with an adjustable gas block. Also, i’m curious what size your gas port is if you able to gauge it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As long as it has a 5.56/.223 Wilde chamber, and it runs fine otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. Try it without the donut around the extractor spring. I normally remove those in my SBRs and carbines.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

As outrider said, i would go with an adjustable gas block. Also, i’m curious what size your gas port is if you able to gauge it.
    Maybe because of the A5 buffer tube?

jonboyhst

Apr 13, 2023
    Park City KY

I am running the Vltor a5 System that require a rifle spring, adjustable block would be the cure, but I don't understand why changing the buffer weight does nothing to the ejection pattern with IMI m193, just weird.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I am running the Vltor a5 System that require a rifle spring, adjustable block would be the cure, but I don't understand why changing the buffer weight does nothing to the ejection pattern with IMI m193, just weird.
    it sounds like you are so over gassed that you are past the point of a spring or buffer helping you. Thats why I’m wondering what your gas port size is.

Attachments

• 2B70CE67-95F5-40B2-8954-7F0B0F1CCC6A.jpeg
      2B70CE67-95F5-40B2-8954-7F0B0F1CCC6A.jpeg
      198.7 KB · Views: 35

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have run into this sometimes.

Recently with a DDM4V7 pro. Ridiculously overgassed. Springcos heaviest springs and a solid tungsten buffer didn't cure it. Got pissed. Replaced the barrel (and installed a JP gas block). The only rifle I run adjustable gas block on but I've got it tuned so it darn near pushes the gun down after the shot.

jonboyhst

Apr 13, 2023
    Park City KY
    I have run into this sometimes.

Recently with a DDM4V7 pro. Ridiculously overgassed. Springcos heaviest springs and a solid tungsten buffer didn't cure it. Got pissed. Replaced the barrel (and installed a JP gas block). The only rifle I run adjustable gas block on but I've got it tuned so it darn near pushes the gun down after the shot.
    sounds like a GB is gonna be his best answer.

jonboyhst

Apr 13, 2023
    Park City KY
    it sounds like you are so over gassed that you are past the point of a spring or buffer helping you. Thats why I’m wondering what your gas port size is.

Thank you, I will research this site, I have no idea what the gas hole size would be, other than the upper appears to be a factory PSA. I would guess if we went that far to measure the gas port he would just go ahead and ask me to replace the front sight tower with an AGB, that's what I would prefer anyway because you have to remove the tower anyway. This is a friends rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom