• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    What buffer spring are you using? Most likely it's the back of the carrier but in some instances the lower could be out of spec.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'm thinking possibly a rough BCG. An upper being out of spec can also do that. It's mostly the upper that determines the angle the bolt carrier is going to go back at. I've seen some so out of spec that the buffer will get stuck an inch or two into the tube. I would try a different bolt carrier and then a different upper if you can and see where the problem continues. If it is the upper there's not much you can do but replace it.

bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    The upper is a BCM upper, DD CHF Barrel, and Palmetto milspec BCG.

I'd sure hope that the BCM upper is straight, but who knows.....

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm thinking possibly a rough BCG. An upper being out of spec can also do that. It's mostly the upper that determines the angle the bolt carrier is going to go back at. I've seen some so out of spec that the buffer will get stuck an inch or two into the tube. I would try a different bolt carrier and then a different upper if you can and see where the problem continues. If it is the upper there's not much you can do but replace it.

The lower could have the buffer retainer slightly too far back.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The bolt rear is causing that or the buffer is bottoming out and slingshotting back HARD causing the Buffer Detent to gouge it.

Use red lipsock on the buffer and fire one round. See if it hits the inside of the rear of the buffer tube. if it does use a heavier buffer or spring till it stops.

If the rear of the carrier is burred it needs to be reprofiled and polished.

bdiddle

Dec 21, 2009
    The bolt rear is causing that or the buffer is bottoming out and slingshotting back HARD causing the Buffer Detent to gouge it.

Use red lipsock on the buffer and fire one round. See if it hits the inside of the rear of the buffer tube. if it does use a heavier buffer or spring till it stops.

Had not thought about the buffer sling shotting. :party29:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Lot's out of spec springs out there. Even seen people using rifle length springs cut down and stocks with screws protruding into the buffer tube.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

I'll add that if all that doesn't work then about the only thing left to do is to have Chad do his .223 to .40 S/W conversion on your rifle. It's one of his specialties.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I've never seen one chewed up that badly... could just be a bad buffer. Not sure what it's made of, aluminum or other alloy but it may not have been heat treated properly or have other imperfections.

I would try another known good buffer in there if you have access to one. I only use Colt M4 Action springs and H2 buffers in my carbine AR-15s. I used an H3 from BCM in my .300-221 as well with no issues. I have seen ST-T2 buffers and they seem to hold up, but don't have much experience with the PSA stuff.

In my experience, if it doesn't look right - it's not. I highly doubt the bolt carrier would be chewed up on the end, unless it were dropped or something. It could be the buffer retainer has a slight burr but honestly that looks like abnormal/excessive wear.

How many rounds do you have through your rifle?

relco86

Aug 6, 2011
    Moco
    The BCG is not burred so im gonna try the lipsock and order a new Buffer Tube and spring in hopes that its not the upper being off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom