• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raul

Mar 7, 2023
    Marydel, DE
    Currently it is taking about 40 to 45 days from your accepted date until you get approved then add another week to get the card in the mail. Look at the average time people are reporting for acceptance to approval and be sure you use a large enough sample, of course YMMV.

Are you looking at your application for your NICS? They do not notify you but getting NICS is not a good indicator of progress because some people get multiple NICS and others only get it just before approval.
    Yes I was looking at the NICS but was wondering why the few I looked at showed that few days after accepted vs me. Patience unfortunately is not a virtue of mine lol.

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Yes I was looking at the NICS but was wondering why the few I looked at showed that few days after accepted vs me. Patience unfortunately is not a virtue of mine lol.
    We are lacking consistency in the process. Add to that, there were some federal/state holidays in the last couple months that pushed some of the dates back a little.

And, in my personal opinion, I don’t believe the state has any incentive to make this process easy on anyone.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Are you looking at the NICS on your application in the portal?

Click print and you will see your application with the NICS field at the top.

Raul

Mar 7, 2023
    Marydel, DE
    Mine has been sitting at accepted since 3/3/23, I wonder why the holdup compared to everyone else. Seems like everyone gets the NICS assigned a few days after accepted.

Submitted: 2/27/23
    Accepted: 3/3/23
    NICS: 3/15/2023
    Assigned to investigator: TBD
    Approved: TBD
    In-Hand: TBD
    Thanks Phoenix.

S. Ritchie

Apr 5, 2023
    Thurmont, MD
    Date of Application: 2/19
    Application Accepted: 2/24
    NICS Number: 3/5
    CJIS Letter: 3/24
    Assigned to Investigator: 4/4
    Approved: 4/11
    --------------
    Applied for HQL: 4/13

Last edited:

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    The ended up sending the email at 10:43. Lol pretty dang late!
    I am convinced that everything is on a computer scheduled process. I think most of the investigation is handled automatically — An applicant fills out the application and submits the necessary paperwork. This starts a timer. After a few days, a scheduled process kicks off the NICS and CJIS, and any other automated checks that can be done. If there are no flags returned, the next step is scheduled for 30 days later, which assigns the application to an investigator. Since the emails almost all come at the same time, between 10:00 and 11:00 PM, just like the 77R’s “not disapproved” email which always comes between 6:00 and 7:00 AM, I’m pretty sure there is little if any human involvement prior to the last week prior to approval.

That’s just my cynical take on the matter.

BRichertHill

Apr 4, 2023
    Baltimore Maryland
    I am convinced that everything is on a computer scheduled process. I think most of the investigation is handled automatically — An applicant fills out the application and submits the necessary paperwork. This starts a timer. After a few days, a scheduled process kicks off the NICS and CJIS, and any other automated checks that can be done. If there are no flags returned, the next step is scheduled for 30 days later, which assigns the application to an investigator. Since the emails almost all come at the same time, between 10:00 and 11:00 PM, just like the 77R’s “not disapproved” email which always comes between 6:00 and 7:00 AM, I’m pretty sure there is little if any human involvement prior to the last week prior to approval.

That’s just my cynical take on the matter.
    Now I would def agree with you 100% but what about the people that have gotten an APPROVAL within 30 days, there’s not many but there are some. And what about the ones that waited 11-12 days for NICS, instead of 5-6 like most of us. What you said makes perfect sense, because TBH nobody is sending emails every single night at 10-11pm that says about the investigator. Does the portal update earlier in the day? And then the email comes later? But same with 77r you make perfect sense with that, nobody is sending emails every morning at 5-6 telling approved people they can pick their guns up. Idk it’s all so mind boggling to me lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom