• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Application number 032398. Just submitted it after working on it over the last several days.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    When I restarted my application I got to the end, submitted payment, it didn't accept it and said I had to start over! I did so, submitted successfully and come to find the first application was in the queue!

So I am using original application number 038859 and I hope they will delete and refund the second erroneous application. Glitching system so keep an eye out if you got one pending for completion over several days.

Matt

Application# 22HGP0201XX
    Submitted complete application on 7/11/22
    Received the application accepted notification 7/12/22
    Interview was held .............
    1st Reference contacted ..............
    2nd Reference contacted ..............
    3rd Reference contacted ..............
    Makes no sense some people are receiving the accepted email before others that submitted their app before them.

Submitted mine 7/10 and it has not been accepted yet. Only received email that said your application has been submitted for review.

You sure it said accepted and not submitted for review?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I made people show me the email because I didn't believe it either. yet there it is, "Application Accepted."

I don't know what makes the difference.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A little insight on number of training exempt people from a different thread.

(My comment to that post)
    Maybe 7,165 applications were "submitted" but from 6/23/22 to 7/10/22 over 18,000 applications were started in the system and from 10:00 PM on 7/9 to 7/11 AM over 1,500 applications were started.

(what it means to training exempt numbers)
    The only people who could submit either had already completed training, completed training during that time or were training exempt. If we assume the same number of normal training applicants as last year then 7,165 - 1,014 = 6,151 were training exempt. The numbers won't be exact and no doubt there was a beginning surge so you can't predict ongoing percentages but that is probably a good estimation of the initial group.

As far as number of investigators a friend of mine is the sister of a retired MSP who worked in the Licensing Division and she tells me he has been hired back full time as a contractor to do investigations.

Another interesting thread would be the number of classes that are scheduled and how many people are in each class. Tactical Shepard website lists 34 classes scheduled all sold out, I don't know their class size. Someone posted elsewhere on MDS that a different trainer was going to a class size of 80 students, but did not mention the number of classes. It appears people getting training will be the controlling factor in the number of permits issued for the foreseeable future.
    Not necessarily. Not everyone who is training exempt has applied. I think there are fair number who are, who SOMEHOW haven't heard of the Bruen decision or else are just on the fence on if they should apply. For example, I won't name a buddy, but he doesn't really want to spend the money and PITA that the application is now with something like 3 years till he can probably retire and move out of state and never come back. It wouldn't surprise me still if he changes his mind in a couple or a few months and apply.

If we want to just talk those with DD214 who live in Maryland, that is TENS of thousands. I think training is going to be a big part of what slow applications for awhile, but more people getting certified to train, more places higher on people to train, and more places adding classes. From talking to my instructor today, at a guess the numbers starting/submitting applications will continue going up for awhile before it plateaus. Enough trainers is certainly a limiting factor right now. But range access likely is too. Only so many places to get qualified. Can you imagine an instructor with 80 students showing up to, say, Hap Baker, to get qualified? A lot of them who don't have their own range seem to run more like half a dozen or so students through the qualifier so that they can teach some practical skills on top of the actual qual shooting.

But anyway, with only the tinniest insight, it seems like its just been the last few days (less than a week) that most places have been adding a lot more classes. So prior to maybe a week ago, the first couple of weeks there weren't class spaces most places and most places hadn't added classes.

It was interesting at class, I think there were 8 or 9 of us. One other person from MDS (I didn't get to chatting with the gentleman). One guy who was a gun owner and applying to Baltimore City PD. One woman from PA who was basically a dual resident who owned a number of guns, but seemed like she was pretty new to guns despite that (she had bought a shotgun really recently, but couldn't remember make, model or gauge of the thing. Sorry, what? She did have a Glock 19 gen 5 and Sig P365 and had been shooting them a while). A couple who were brand new to guns getting their CCWs (it felt kind of like she was getting it because her boyfriend told her to. I am not misogynistic, I just got an odd vibe like "I am the man and I do all the talking for the both of us"). Two older gentleman who were getting their permits because they heard through work they could get CCWs now (both worked with the police). One owned a couple of guns. The other none. The guy from MDS who raised his hands on a few of the "do you own _____" questions. And then there is me who raised my hand at every "do you own" question including the "anyone have tax stamps or know what those are?"

That got a "oh wow, you do? We rarely have anyone who has stamps? So what do you have?" and then chatted about suppressors for a couple of minutes before getting back to the class instruction.

So anyway, I suspect the biggest rush of those training exempt have happened, but it still wouldn't surprise me if at least 1-2k, if not 3-4k training exempt individuals a week are applying.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So application question, I forgot to ask my trainer today.

Should I start the HGP application NOW, prior to completing training and getting my prints? Or should I wait till I've finished day 2 of instruction (towards the end of the month as my instructor is out of town for a week and a half starting later this week) and have prints done?

I am assuming I can start an application and hit the final submit once everything is filled in and I've uploaded all of the required documents (passport photo and instruction/shooting qualification certification is all I need to upload, right?). Fingerprint file number (or whatever it is called, it's been years since I had livescan done) just typed into the application?

Thanks!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'd suggest taking it as far as possible. I did mine all the way up to paying for it, and only needed prints. As soon as I had that done, I took five minutes, plugged it in and was done.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Application number 20HGP028353
    Started application back in 2020
    Submitted application on 7/5/22
    Received submitted email immediately
    Not accepted yet

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    My application number 22HGP0183XX
    I started it on 6/27/22 (when it was given a number)
    I submitted the complete application on 6/27/22
    I received the auto generated "Your Application Has Been Submitted for Review" email on 6/27/22
    I received the application accepted notification 7/12/22
    My wife was contacted .............
    1st Reference contacted ..............
    2nd Reference contacted ..............
    3rd Reference contacted ..........
    HGP Approved on…………….
    HGP received on………………

buddy357

Apr 6, 2015
    I am one of the exempts. Submitted yesterday after work, and got the submitted email in a couple hours. Just got the accepted email.

I guess they’ve stepped up on processing the apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom