• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wrightc81

Jul 20, 2022
    Maryland
    They are working them by Accepted date. NICS has nothing to do with when you get the Approval.

It looks like they started Approving the 7/15 "Accepted" applications today. They have been Approving the 7/14 applications since last Thursday. I assume that they have or will complete the 7/14 stragglers today.
    7/14 here still nothing

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    It seems like everyone was getting their permits in the mail in 2-3 day timeframe up until last week when something new happened? Maybe the printer needs to cool off a couple days?

But to keep it real, I'm fairly pleased with the process compared to what folks in Hawaii, NY, NJ and probably CA (?) are dealing with.
    My brother submitted his Calif application a week or so ago. An in person interview is required. The first open time for him is June 3, 2023

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    IIRC, Sgt Pickles said the the people accepting apications are civilian employees. They just check that the applications are completed correctly and completely. These checkers can be trained quickly. That examines why early apps had a 12-14 day acceptance time, but now that is down to about a week from what I can see.
    The other sites require, I think sworn officers, or higher level civilians and those positions require much more training so it is taking longer to ramp up app processing. Additional, he said the there were difficulties finding new people.
    He said the all the barracks were participating in application processing, so that may explain some irregularities in the order of processing.
    He talked about printer issues, but I can't remember what exactly was the issue, but it might have been a needed software upgrade and or faster printers.
    Finally, he said that from NICS to approval will vary. Completely clean background will go right away from investigation to the approving authority. More complex backgrounds will take long..this was my understanding anyway.
    for me:
    started 7/5
    submitted 7/7
    accepted 7/19 (12 days)

NICS. 8/5 (17 days)
    Approval. Expected about 8/15?

30 days since submission, 18 since acceptance. No nics number.

A bit pissed off it took them 11 days to accept my permit but it only took a day or 2 for other people that applied at the same time. those people already have their permits, there are people that applied a week after me that already have theirs. I need to stop checking the portal, I get pissed everytime I see no nics number.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    My brother submitted his Calif application a week or so ago. An in person interview is required. The first open time for him is June 3, 2023
    It'll be interesting to see if there's a lawsuit about this. That is completely unacceptable!

However, I am glad to see anyone in a left-leaning state apply as a middle finger to "the man."

Dbowen95

Feb 3, 2022
    30 days since submission, 18 since acceptance. No nics number.

A bit pissed off it took them 11 days to accept my permit but it only took a day or 2 for other people that applied at the same time. those people already have their permits, there are people that applied a week after me that already have theirs. I need to stop checking the portal, I get pissed everytime I see no nics number.
    Right there with you fam. 7/19 accepted and no NICS number. It sucks for us but it’s good we’re not alone I guess

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Has anyone aside from the two reported in this thread received an approval today? The approval rate seems to have plummeted through the center of the earth this week.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Has anyone aside from the two reported in this thread received an approval today? The approval rate seems to have plummeted through the center of the earth this week.
    I noticed that as well. I’m guessing we hit the wall, along with possibly a MSP training void.

fwgj

MDS Supporter
    Apr 18, 2022
    Up County MoCo
    My personal belief (with no hard data to support as of yet) is that the majority of those approved to date were training exempt applicants (former LEO/Military/federal emp/clearances) who could apply quickly in early July and that may also have been able to be approved faster. As we get into newly trained/non-exempt applicants, I would expect the approval rate to slow. Just a logic assertion from this end.

That's where, as we discuss application and NICS dates, we also need to understand the diversity of the applicants (exempt vs non-exempt) as well as other mitigating factors. Just trying to understand a complex multi-variant process.....

OldBrokenGrunt

Aug 3, 2022
    Mount Airy
    Seems like the early HCP that were pushed through were more to brag about how many they got done. Because they have sure as hell slowed down tremendously. Looking more and more like they will start to drag out everything. 90 days will be changed to 120 days and so on…..

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    My app is on the dirty end of the backed up toilet. Hope a plunger comes along soon. :outta her
    Im only on day 17 after accepted, and NICS, which is one day after submitting, so I really don’t have anything to complain about. Looking at the positive side, since my birthday was 8/6, if I don’t get approved until after 9/1, I get a 3 year permit (so I’ve heard?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom