• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Yeah I'm an engineer too. (Well sorta; my degree is in computer science and I started as a dual physics major but I think I still count.) But that doesn't detract from my enjoyment of Appleseed. And I think in my case having a kid helps; we need to pass on these stories to the next generation.

I agree with rseymorejr; the history stuff is not overwhelming. Usually one of the history lessons occurs during lunch; you need a break anyway. And although I've heard it four times now, I still learn something new each time I go, as each speaker finds aspects of the story interesting to them.

In addition teaching the sacrifices our Founders made to give us the country that we have today I'm sure are one of the passions that motivates the instructors to give up their free time each weekend to devote to the students. (Keeping up the legacy of a country of marksman has to be one of the other primary motivators). Without that, you wouldn't have Appleseed at all. You're always welcome to take rifle lessons from many of the other fine IPs on MDS at probably 2-3x the cost, and it will come sans history. Whatever works for you - nothing wrong in either approach.

Last edited:

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Not to hijack the thread but you may want to consider bringing them to the St. Charles Sportsmans Club Jr. Rifle clinic instead. It is a non competitive atmosphere and we work with kids as young as 6 on a regular basis. We provide the rifles, safety equipment, ammo and NRA certified instructors. The program is free and paid for by the SCSC membership and through NRA Foundation grants. Ever wonder where the Friends of NRA money goes? Come by and check us out. www.facebook.com/scscjrrifle

Hmmmm. Come to a Appleseed thread and state "I not to hijack" which you did. You could have just started a new thread.

Calling it for what it is dude, a douche move.:sad20:

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    By the way, I'll be back sometime later this fall. Though I've made Rifleman several times now, Morgan's Shingle continues to taunt, and elude me... :sad20:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    By the way, I'll be back sometime later this fall. Though I've made Rifleman several times now, Morgan's Shingle continues to taunt, and elude me... :sad20:

There's just a little bit of luck involved in hitting that little sucker. I can't even hardly see it @25 yards!

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    The history part of Appleseed is really not overbearing. It comes as a welcome break periodically during the day. The things you learn are not the typical history book things. The history lectures are an integral part of the Appleseed experience and really ties together with the shooting part. Try it at least once, I don't think you will be sorry.
    He's quite right. The historical aspect of Appleseed really is the heart and soul of the project. If you want what they offer without the history, I'd look into the rifle courses at Peacemaker National Training Center. Those run about $100 for a member and $125 for a non-member.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Hmmmm. Come to a Appleseed thread and state "I not to hijack" which you did. You could have just started a new thread.
    The Saint Charles juniors program has been very supportive of Project Appleseed. Virtually all of their current students have been to at least one Appleseed.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    The Saint Charles juniors program has been very supportive of Project Appleseed. Virtually all of their current students have been to at least one Appleseed.

Since the question was if a 6 yo could shoot an Appleseed, I think the SCSC response was appropriate. I wouldn't bring a 6 YO to an Appleseed, even if he or she was a relatively seasoned shooter, it would be hard on them. Plus, I think they would get frustrated pretty quickly and it wouldn't be fun after X amount of hours. Need to keep it fun with new shooters.

Programs like SCSC's and 4H, etc are great ways to get kids involved and have them learn the basics, safety, correct form, etc. Mine have been involved with both SCSC and 4H, as well as other programs, and have benefitted from them all. Every instructor does things slightly differently, and you will find things that work best for you.

SCSC's program is flexible and each shooter is given individual attention and things are tailored to their skill level and their interests.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    What is the difference between a 1 day and 2 day Appleseed?
    The one-day event accelerates the same material covered over the two-day event. You'll get all of the instruction, but there's just less time to practice what you are learning.

So much information is covered that the learning pace is sometimes referred to as "drinking from a fire hose." Many people attend more than one event to really take it all in (myself included).

You'll see the one-day events showing up a lot in the summer, both as a recognition of the hot days and people planning vacations. Some just find it easier to work the one-day event into their life or work schedules.

I'd recommend a two-day event over the one-day, but I'd hands-down recommend the one-day event over never attending one at all.

I hope that helps!

jessestone

Jan 18, 2011
    The one-day event accelerates the same material covered over the two-day event. You'll get all of the instruction, but there's just less time to practice what you are learning.

So much information is covered that the learning pace is sometimes referred to as "drinking from a fire hose." Many people attend more than one event to really take it all in (myself included).

You'll see the one-day events showing up a lot in the summer, both as a recognition of the hot days and people planning vacations. Some just find it easier to work the one-day event into their life or work schedules.

I'd recommend a two-day event over the one-day, but I'd hands-down recommend the one-day event over never attending one at all.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the info

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Appleseed Event - Sudlersville, MD - NEAR Delaware

Just to let everyone know, we are very fortunate to be hosting an Appleseed event in Sudlersville, MD on August 15th.

This is on the "other" side of the Bay Bridge not far from Centerville. It would be a great opportunity for those potential students in Delaware who haven't been able to attend because of longer drives.

Delmarva Sportsman Association is a fantastic facility and I have high hopes for this location.

Please help by spreading the word.

Thanks!!!

Schedule Link Below

http://appleseedusa.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=MD&statename=Maryland

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    I went to my first Appleseed yesterday and had a great time. I learned a lot thanks to the excellent instructors and my shooting improved throughout the day as I applied their lessons and feedback. I earned my Rifleman patch, which was my New Year’s resolution after learning about the program, and the Maryland front sight patch for clearing the Redcoat. I’m already looking forward to bringing some friends to another Appleseed.

Thanks again to the Annapolis instructors!

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I went to my first Appleseed yesterday and had a great time. I learned a lot thanks to the excellent instructors and my shooting improved throughout the day as I applied their lessons and feedback. I earned my Rifleman patch, which was my New Year’s resolution after learning about the program, and the Maryland front sight patch for clearing the Redcoat. I’m already looking forward to bringing some friends to another Appleseed.

Thanks again to the Annapolis instructors!

Congrats on the rifleman and front sight patches, that's very impressive for your first time out. :party29:

Can't say either of those things, but will be attending my second next month and hopefully not my last.

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    Congrats on the rifleman and front sight patches, that's very impressive for your first time out. :party29:

Thanks! I bought a bunch of targets from Fred's to practice. I also repeatedly watched old army training videos on YouTube and endured the mockery from my wife.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Thanks! I bought a bunch of targets from Fred's to practice. I also repeatedly watched old army training videos on YouTube and endured the mockery from my wife.

Who's laughing now?.... :lol2:
    Our instructor had a similar story, he looked into what was taught beforehand, procticed, practiced, practiced it and got his patch the first time out.

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    Can't say either of those things, but will be attending my second next month and hopefully not my last.[/QUOTE]

You doing the one day at Berwyn? Did you end up getting the tech sites? Are you shooting irons or scope?

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Can't say either of those things, but will be attending my second next month and hopefully not my last.

You doing the one day at Berwyn? Did you end up getting the tech sites? Are you shooting irons or scope?[/QUOTE]

Yes to the first two and probably a yes to the third.

Really want to get the patch with irons, but my soon to be 50 year old eyes might push me toward a scope eventually. :D

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    I'm planning on doing the one day also. I ended up going with the Nodak spud sights. They are awesome. Very easily adjustable plus the added benefit to quickly attach a scope. Ruger ended up exchanging my 50th anniversary contest winner for a target model 10/22. I think I'm more prepared now. I installed the sling swivels and studs, Appleseed sling, extended mag release, and auto bolt release. I have the irons sighted in just have to get more practice in. I really want the patch using irons.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The St. Charles Sportsmans Club will be hosting. 2 day Appleseed Clinic on August 22/23 at our indoor range in Waldorf, MD. We will also be opening the range for practice sessions. These practice sessions will allow you to get familiar with your gear, positions and the course of fire. I will try to post the practice sessions here as they get scheduled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom