• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I looked up DIY wedges before posting. I guess i'm just being lazy. Maybe i'll get a yoga block and try it out even if i buy some.
    I attached mine with velcro. Got a big roll of it at Home Depot. Loop side on the holster. Hook side on the wedge.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Phlstr just released some kind of wedge kit, but I haven’t checked it out. I did the diy and shaped it to get the grip to turn in little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Phlstr just released some kind of wedge kit, but I haven’t checked it out. I did the diy and shaped it to get the grip to turn in little more.

I have the phlsr wedge kit. Its nice because it has lots of options to adjust. Its just stupid expensive for what it is. Shipped it was like $50. Not horrible as I can share the wedges with my dad and friends

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I was thinking about this. Them being out of stock gives me more time to think.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Interested to see everyone’s opinions and experiences with appendix carry as I know it is a hotly debated subject.

I always carried at 4 o’clock when I was in college in WV but I’ve ordered holsters for both appendix and IWB for when I can finally carry in MD.

The Tenicor Velo4 is a very comfortable holster designed specifically for AIWB.

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I’m excited to try it, seems better for concealment and a faster more consistent draw. Also the only accidental discharge I have first hand knowledge of was my roommate who got a line off of his hunting pack jammed in his holster at 4 o’clock. Being able to better see what your doing when holstering would have prevented it.

A technique for AIWB holstering that prevents muzzling yourself is to place right leg rearward and slightly jut your right hip/pelvis forward. Provides a clear view of holster and points muzzle forward of your leg/crotch. (Always keep in mind that holstering is an administrative action - no urgency. Take time to visualize and assure no obstructions/snags.)

Jump to 12:06 in video below for visual example of holstering technique.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Switched from the m&p9c to the g43xmos. The added height caused by the 407k makes tucking the grip more important than for the m&p9c. Both are comfortable to appendix carry.

If I want more concealability, I switch to my mission 1st minimalist holster. It conceals great, but really needs a stiff yank to release and you lose one handed reholstering.

I've got a werkz m6 on the way that I'll review soon that I think should be awesome. It has a built in wedge and claw so it should conceal about as well as the mission first, but will have the smooth draw and ability to reholster like the DeSantis.
    20221006_110342.jpg
    20221005_091415.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    A technique for AIWB holstering that prevents muzzling yourself is to place right leg rearward and slightly jut of your right hip/pelvis forward. Provides a clear view of holster and points muzzle forward of your leg/crotch.

Jump to 12:06 in video below for visual example of holstering technique.

If you've got time and two hands, just click the holster off, stick the gun in while pointed in a safe direction, and then toss the now holstered gun on. It's the most safe way to do things.

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    If you've got time and two hands, just click the holster off, stick the gun in while pointed in a safe direction, and then toss the now holstered gun on. It's the most safe way to do things.

I don’t disagree. The Tenicor T1 clips on the Velo4 are very secure (which I like) so I usually reholster with holster on belt.

It may be hard to see in picture below, but the clips also have an upward tab that slips under belt. Great design for secure hold, but does take a little manipulating to get on/off, depending on belt width.

(Zoom in on clip to see inner tab)
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1429/5342/products/mod2clips_2000x.png?v=1613175159
    1665250959953.png

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I don’t disagree. The Tenicor T1 clips on the Velo4 are very secure (which I like) so I usually reholster with holster on belt.

It may be hard to see in picture below, but the clips also have an upward tab that slips under belt. Great design for secure hold, but does take a little manipulating to get on/off, depending on belt width.

(Zoom in on clip to see inner tab)
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1429/5342/products/mod2clips_2000x.png?v=1613175159
    I just got the Velo4 and I find the T1 clips very aggressive trying to clip on or take off. I ordered the soft loops with it as well and those are eaiser to work with. Not sure I like the T1 clips yet.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just got the Velo4 and I find the T1 clips very aggressive trying to clip on or take off. I ordered the soft loops with it as well and those are eaiser to work with. Not sure I like the T1 clips yet.
    I just got the soft loops, for the same reason.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.

Yeah i want the same affect (turn the grip a bit more) so i ended up buying the yoga block and will see if i can get one to work diy.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    It just takes some experimentation to dial things in. I'm moving to XXL shirts, and different style shirts more often. Get the height right and it's comfortable when I sit. I'm sitting in a office chair for about 8 hours of the day, plus two hours in the car round trip.

Play with the location, look up wedges and you might need to tweak the "wing" or "claw" on the holster to get the grip to tuck in enough.

Playing around at the range I've managed a .89 draw at 7 yards, probably some luck. My average was more like 1.1. Out at 15 yards I was seeing about a 1.3 second draw. This is with a P-01 with a optic and a WML out of a t-rex side car. I haven't settled on if or how I'll carry a spare mag yet.

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    One of the advantages to the T1 clips is that they make the Velo4 tuckable. Easy to slip your shirt between holster and clips. No printing even with a light colored T-shirt. With a black belt the clips are barely noticeable and, essentially, invisible to the genpop.

fwgj

MDS Supporter
    Apr 18, 2022
    Up County MoCo
    Any recommendations for purchasing a wedge for an AIWB that didn't offer one. I wore my M&P Mid-size 45 in the Bravo Concealment holster and definitely need some help. I got the wing but it doesn't seem to do enough by itself. I was looking at the Tier 1 WEDGE SIZING PACK so i can try a couple different sizes but they are out of stock.
    Sign up and let them tell you when they are back in stock. Pairing these wedges up with some velcro worked for me and my Vedder Lighttuck to dial it in for grip tuck and comfort.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    One of the advantages to the T1 clips is that they make the Velo4 tuckable. Easy to slip your shirt between holster and clips. No printing even with a light colored T-shirt. With a black belt the clips are barely noticeable and, essentially, invisible to the genpop.
    My issue with the T1 clips has been being able to get the holster in place and then remove it. I was really fighting them, and they scuffed up my new belt. I do think the T1 clips are more stable than the loops, and I appreciate that stability,.

More as I wear it more.

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    My issue with the T1 clips has been being able to get the holster in place and then remove it. I was really fighting them, and they scuffed up my new belt. I do think the T1 clips are more stable than the loops, and I appreciate that stability,.

More as I wear it more.
    I will agree, they are tough going on a full 1.5” wide belt. It took me a while to get good at not scraping the inner hook on my belt in the donning/doffing process.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Welp the werkz holster is a bit of a bust... at least with the one big belt clip. It might be better with soft loops. I'll write it up in more detail later, but the gist is that the holster itself is huge... especially after carrying the 43x with the mission 1st minimalist holster. The big clip and huge tall sights channel to the left basically means the wing doesn't tuck the handle in so much as it just pushes your pants on that side out... with a kore belt.

Maybe soft loops will actually let the wedge work better, but there's no getting around the holster being chawnky AF next to the DeSantis up above. The DeSantis also carries lower, so the grip doesn't spill over the belt as much.

I also picked up a bravo concealment torsion 3.0. I'm loving it and it has become my go-to. After dropping the holster down, it conceals almost as well as the mission 1st(that's the best at concealing), but I get the benefit of being able to reholster and the clips are wide enough that it has zero side to side waggle.

Soooo...
    Werkz m6- handle prints and too big to be very comfortable with the clip. The sweat guard pinches me for some reason.

DeSantis slim-tuk- pretty comfortable. okayish at concealing, but doesn't turn the handle in very well. Side to side tilt from just one skinny clip. Very quick to put on and take off. No sweat guard.

Bravo concealment torsion 3.0- beats the werkz and DeSantis at concealing. Much more stable than the DeSantis. Has a comfortable sweat guard. Might try the optional wing to see if it puts it on par with the mission 1st for concealability.

Mission 1st minimalist- extremely concealable and very comfortable. No sweat guard. It grabs very tight to the trigger guard, requiring a good grip on the gun and hard tug to release it. The clip isn't great, allowing for side to side tilt and you need to carefully verify that it's locked onto your belt or you'll end up pulling up a gun with the holster still attached. Holstering means using two hands to click on the holster and then putting it on. There's no good one handed reholstering option.

All of the above allow you to drop the mag and rack the slide while still holsteted, making admin stuff safe. They also all work with my holosun 407k.

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    <snip> All of the above allow you to drop the mag and rack the slide while still holsteted, making admin stuff safe. They also all work with my holosun 407k.

One thing I like about the Tenicor Velo4 is that the holster protects the mag release, to prevent the mag from being released while holstered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom