Anyone shoot a Savage Mk II - BRJ or a BTV?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I was out with my Boy Scout Troop (11 boys) this weekend and they had a great time putting 1200+ rounds downrange. I have a Mk II F that is wearing a 3x9 - 40 that was putting 5 rounds under a dime at 30 feet (the pistol lanes at the range we were using) depending on the shooter of course and I may have a chance to buy a new Heavy Barrel at a good price. Dont get me wrong my plain jane pencil barrel non-accutrigger F model is a fine shooter but I would like a heavy barrel for 100 yard use. So does anyone have any experiance with either one of the versions I listed above?

Last edited:

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I have the BTV. Great rifle. Far more accurate then I am and is likely to stay that way. Be careful though the BTV is heavy. A benchrest gun almost exclusively. I cannot ever see shooting it off-hand.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    My F with the scope is a clone of the FVXP, minus the Heavy Barrel of course. I am also looking at that model, its not a "sexy" as the two I listed but I am sure it's a good shooter also, not to mention its $150 cheaper at MSRP.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    would it be worth getting a barrel Fluted so you would get the benifits of a heavy barrel with lighter weight.

or the other question why not a 10/22 with a CF Bull barrel?

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    would it be worth getting a barrel Fluted so you would get the benifits of a heavy barrel with lighter weight.

or the other question why not a 10/22 with a CF Bull barrel?

The BRJ has a sprial fluted barrel. The BTV is a regular heavy barrel with a thumb hole stock.

Boy Scouts can not shoot a semi auto or tube mag rifles at a BSA related event. Not a big deal, its for me but I would like to have another rifle they can shoot when we hit the range and I think these Savage rifles will be more accurate than a 10/22.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    My BT is a tackdriver. It was pre accutrigger, so a half hour and some googlefu and I now have a tack driving trigger. It shoots one hole groups at 25yds with CCI Quiet ammo (740fps subsonic) and at 50yds it shoots a ragged hole with Winchester 40gr ammo.

Went with a laminated stock, cause I wanted some wood... LOL It's just about as good as plastic, quieter, heavier and looks better too.. ;)

It is my go to weapon for pesky varmints when the 223 is a little too obnoxious for the area being targeted... Loaded up with CCI Velocitors, it is a sub moa weapon at 100yds..

DSC00274800x600_zps01f47de7.jpg

Last edited:

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I have the Mk II BTV in stainless steel. I installed a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope on it, and with match-grade ammo it shoots a ragged dime-size hole off the bench at 50 yards.

I fish the Federal aluminum cases out of the range brass bucket and set them up atop the 50-yd steel target stand and send 'em flying. This rifle is a peach.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have the 17HMR version. My accutrigger was crap out of the box (not typical for a Savage), so I replaced it with a Rifle Basix trigger. It's a great shooter; at 100 yards, I shoot a 1" spinner all day long on a calm day.

savage17hmr.jpg

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I've got the BTV. I put a nikon prostaff rimfire scope on it and I have no problem shooting rimfire silhouette matches. Its got some weight to it, but its reasonable. Its one of the most accurate rimfires out of the box. Some googling will show many people who agree with that statement. Now my Savage 10 target with a 30" bull shilen barrel on it also mounted in a Boyds thumbhole stock, well thats a different story. That is a bench rest gun. The BTV shoots dime sized groups at 50 yds, the savage 10 chambered in 6.5x47 shoots dime sized groups at 100 yds.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Broad Creek was using the heavy MkIi Savages as of a few years ago. Not sure about now, I haven't been active in the troop. They were good shooters to their range of 50 feet IIRC. The groups were only negated by the camp using Thunderbolt ammunition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom