• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Mislabeled light beer...

The 1911 Pistol...

So designated because of a contract accepted by the USARMY for a pistol, designed by JM Browning, produced and submitted by Colt in caliber .45ACP... IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1911. The final design which was accepted in 1911, was made in 1910.

NOT 9mm... :nono:

Forty frikkin FIVE CALIBER :cool:

Do we call all AR-15s "M16"s??? NO...

So why do we mislabel a JMB designed pistol in any caliber other that .45, a "1911"??? :shrug:

[/rant] :cool:

The pistol the 1911 was directly derived from was not 45 caliber. It was 38 ACP. The Army specified 45 caliber, grip safety and a couple other things so Browning modified the pistol to accomodate those changes. The pistols were entered into the competitions and was subsequently selected.

So the nine is more relevant to the 1911 than most would suppose.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The pistol the 1911 was directly derived from was not 45 caliber. It was 38 ACP. The Army specified 45 caliber, grip safety and a couple other things so Browning modified the pistol to accomodate those changes. The pistols were entered into the competitions and was subsequently selected.

So the nine is more relevant to the 1911 than most would suppose.

The 1911 was only accepted and designated the "1911" in .45 caliber.

The .38Super is relevant to the 1911, the 9x19 not so much.

Eggzackary

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The 1911 was only accepted and designated the "1911" in .45 caliber.

Eggzackary

I never said the 1911 was any caliber other than 45 ACP. I stated the pistol it was directly developed from was 38 ACP. So the 1911 is essentially a 38 caliber pistol designed to run 45 caliber ammo amoung other modifications. The parameters are there to run 38/9mm caliber ammo...a whole family of calibers.

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    I would appreciate it if it was in a full size configuration. I love the Springfield Range Officer in 9mm I have.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I have three 1911s chambered in 9mm and absolutely love them. One is a full-size, one a Commander-size, and one is an Officer-sized. Also have a .45 ACP and used to have a.40 S&W. They are all still 1911s and great guns if you like 1911s. It is nonsense to say it isn't a 1911 unless it is chambered in 45 ACP, just as it is nonsense to say that it isn't a 1911 unless it is a full-size frame and slide. That would be like saying that since the first modern Glock was designed as a 9mm (G17), then the G22, G23, G27, G30 etc. aren't really Glocks because they aren't 9mm.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Technically, 1911 and 1911-A1 are military pistols. The civilian copy of the 1911 military pistol was (is) originally called Government Model by Colt, then the only producer of a civilian copy of the military 1911. Not quite sure how or when the 1911 moniker was put to all pistols of the 1911 pattern, maybe when Springfield Armory started as the only true copy around and called their gun 1911-A1...as they still do. Most likely was a blend during the entire time the 1911 (see, I just did it) has been around.

Regardless, I would say this design's proliferation in so many makes, sizes and calibers lends to its identity as 1911.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1911's were known as 1911's long before being mfg by the modern incarnation of SA. ( And 1911A1 called 1911 even by gun guys, unless someone was being geeky.)

The practice is actually from well before my time. But as a wild guess, it dates WW I millitary vetrans. In the service all "Pistol Model of 1911" would have been called M1911 regardless of actual mfg. Just like a M1903 or M1917 rifles. And the Colt Govt Modl was not widespread or well known prior to WW I , so so pre existing civillian nicknames to carryover.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    So....I guess nobody has actually seen/shot one of these Ruger SR1911 9mm's, huh? Hard to believe every time anyone asks a simple question, it turns into a debate, about everything except what was originally asked... :sad20:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    So....I guess nobody has actually seen/shot one of these Ruger SR1911 9mm's, huh? Hard to believe every time anyone asks a simple question, it turns into a debate, about everything except what was originally asked... :sad20:

Unfortunately it's all too typical round here. :popcorn:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Why do we start this again? Ice cream comes in more than one flavor.

How dare you insinuate that one opinion can't be the only one with merit!

I supposed now you're going to say it's OK to not be the world's foremost authority on all topics!

You're either the BSD (biggest swingin' d1ck) or you're nothing.

:rolleyes: just in case.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

I'll keep that in mind.........the posts were obviously stopping all the 9mm SR1911 owners from posting...zero responses I believe. My apologies...out of here.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    How dare you insinuate that one opinion can't be the only one with merit!

I supposed now you're going to say it's OK to not be the world's foremost authority on all topics!

You're either the BSD (biggest swingin' d1ck) or you're nothing.

:rolleyes: just in case.

I have no idea what you mean. This has been discussed a few times before. The current track of this thread does nothing for the OP's question. I don't give a s**t if a 1911 comes in another caliber than .45acp. If it works, who would care? I'll take it as humor and won't try to upset the apple cart.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I have three 1911s chambered in 9mm and absolutely love them. One is a full-size, one a Commander-size, and one is an Officer-sized. Also have a .45 ACP and used to have a.40 S&W. They are all still 1911s and great guns if you like 1911s. It is nonsense to say it isn't a 1911 unless it is chambered in 45 ACP, just as it is nonsense to say that it isn't a 1911 unless it is a full-size frame and slide. That would be like saying that since the first modern Glock was designed as a 9mm (G17), then the G22, G23, G27, G30 etc. aren't really Glocks because they aren't 9mm.

Nonsense???

Pray tell... What caliber semi auto pistol was accepted by US Military in 1911... after the proper selection process... and designated it by order of the US Military as the "1911"???

What other caliber was accept and so designated?

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Nonsense???

Pray tell... What caliber semi auto pistol was accepted by US Military in 1911... after the proper selection process... and designated it by order of the US Military as the "1911"???

Yup...nonsense.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Nonsense???

Pretty sure there are other things that were accepted by the military 100+ years ago that have gotten better/changed with time. ;)

One size doesn't have to fit all. Pretty sure .223 didn't exist 100 years ago, so I guess we should be prejudiced against military rifles in that caliber too :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom