Anyone notice a difference in recoil in their ARs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    It depends on the size of the Gas Port, the Type of Carrier, the Type of Hammer and wether the gas Block is adjustable. heres alot of variables.

I normally use Standard Weight Colt Buffer Springs, and start with the heaviest Buffer and test fire with Brass Cased 55 Grain Ammo (No Suppressor). If it can cycle 2 30 round mags in rapid sequence, and lock the bolt back properly both times, then I stick with the heaviest buffer. Always shoot LIGHT ammo to test because if it locks back on 55 GR, it will lock back on heavier ammo.

Without an Adjustable Gas Block you may have to use a lighter buffer for steel cased ammo (Dosent seal the chamber), and sometimes use a heavier than standard buffer and Recoil Spring when a Sound Supressor is attached to compensate for the overgassing a Suppressor causes.

I have a ST-T2 in my 14.5" Noveske Barreled AR you shot. It will run 55 grain brass cased with the ST-T2 with a Colt Spring Non-Suppressed.

Basically the AMMO you choose dictates on how the gun should be setup, and wether or not you will run a suppressor.

I have a fixed Bushmaster(?) FSB, a NiB BCG, M16 carrier. Non adjustable gas block. The hammer has a downwards sloped triangle look to it. Its a Lothar Walther HBAR so I guess standard sized gas port? I normally shoot with .223 55 grain FMJ ammo and keep the 5.56 in the stash. The buffer has no markings on it so I assume its a standard weight. It's also a Wylde chamber if that makes a difference.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Of the three complete ARs I own now, the 14.5" carbine seems to rise more than the 18" SPR in 5.56 or the 20" SPR in 6.8. Both of the longer rifles have brakes, the 14.5 has a bird cage flash suppressor. I can do rapid fire with both of the longer rifles and still hit a B2 at 50 yards. The shorty, not so much.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Yeah... agree w/ JimBobBorg, I've noticed that my carbines definitely rise more from the muzzle blast but there definitely isn't a difference in felt recoil.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    If you're worried about recoil: Middy gas for 14.5 to 16", JP low mass carrier, JP buffer spring, Carbine buffer, Syrac ordinance adjustable gas block, Battlecomp. You can thank me when your rifle recoils like a .22 ;)

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Your spot on IMO. You can go shorter with Middy Gas but it requires opening the port. Same for Rifle Gas. I an make a Rifle Gassed gun rin wit a 15" Barrel 9Threaded right in front of the Gas Block). It just requires some patience when enlarging the port, you go slowly and work it up. No 2 guns are aloike in my experience.

It depends on the size of the Gas Port, the Type of Carrier, the Type of Hammer and wether the gas Block is adjustable. heres alot of variables.

I normally use Standard Weight Colt Buffer Springs, and start with the heaviest Buffer and test fire with Brass Cased 55 Grain Ammo (No Suppressor). If it can cycle 2 30 round mags in rapid sequence, and lock the bolt back properly both times, then I stick with the heaviest buffer. Always shoot LIGHT ammo to test because if it locks back on 55 GR, it will lock back on heavier ammo.

Without an Adjustable Gas Block you may have to use a lighter buffer for steel cased ammo (Dosent seal the chamber), and sometimes use a heavier than standard buffer and Recoil Spring when a Sound Supressor is attached to compensate for the overgassing a Suppressor causes.

I have a ST-T2 in my 14.5" Noveske Barreled AR you shot. It will run 55 grain brass cased with the ST-T2 with a Colt Spring Non-Suppressed.

It will run steel cased ammo with the ST-T2 but the bolt wont lock back, BUT once I add the suppressor it WILL lock back. If I use a ST-T1 then it locks back.

I can run the Suppressor with the ST-T2 with 55 Grain Brass cased ammo but the buffer bottoms out on the Buffer tube. You can test this by using lipstick on the buffer tail and firing one round. When I add the Spikes ST-T3 and use the Colt SPring it does not bottom out inte buffer tube.

Ideally my gun will work with the ST-T2 with all ammo and wether suppressod or not, BUT to run the most efficiently, I use the T1 on Wolf UNSUPRESSED, The T2 on Wolf SUPPRESSED and Brass Cased UNSUPRESSED, and the T3 on Brass Cased Suppressed.

You can eminate the necessity for this by using a Noveske Switch Block, with exception to Steel Cased Ammo, sometimes with the Switch Block you stil need a light buffer to make the gun cycle or lock back.

Basically the AMMO you choose dictates on how the gun should be setup, and wether or not you will run a suppressor.

What buffer/spring combo would you recommend for a 10.5 noveske upper with switchblock to run 55gr xm193/62gr green tip 90% of the time both suppressed and unsuppressed but once it gets a suppressor 90% of the time suppressed.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What buffer/spring combo would you recommend for a 10.5 noveske upper with switchblock to run 55gr xm193/62gr green tip 90% of the time both suppressed and unsuppressed but once it gets a suppressor 90% of the time suppressed.

I would choose a Colt or Spikes Carbine Action/Buffer Spring and a an H Buffer or SPike St-T1 Buffer. It may be able to handle a heavire buffer but thats generally a happy medium. Best bet is to get a Spikes, ST-1, 2, and 3 and try them all. Sell the other 2 buffers once you find the happy compromise.

I keep the following buffers in my Range Bag:

CARBINE BUFFERS

Spikes ST-T1, ST-T2, ST-T3
    BCM H, H2, H3
    Colt 9mm

RIFLE BUFFERS

JP
    Standard
    Heavy Buffer (For .308 and some Suppressed 20" Guns)

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    I would choose a Colt or Spikes Carbine Action/Buffer Spring and a an H Buffer or SPike St-T1 Buffer. It may be able to handle a heavire buffer but thats generally a happy medium. Best bet is to get a Spikes, ST-1, 2, and 3 and try them all. Sell the other 2 buffers once you find the happy compromise.

I keep the following buffers in my Range Bag:

CARBINE BUFFERS

Spikes ST-T1, ST-T2, ST-T3
    BCM H, H2, H3
    Colt 9mm

RIFLE BUFFERS

JP
    Standard
    Heavy Buffer (For .308 and some Suppressed 20" Guns)

Thanks appreciate the input! I have a ST-T2 and T3 ordered, I'll pick up a T1 as well, and a couple BCM buffers. Guess it never hurts to have some extras laying around.

One other quick question, from your recommendations I picked up a couple colt buffer springs. Have you ever used sprinco springs? Is there any benefit to trying to mix one of these into the testing equation? On a really small forum I'm on a couple of the members who are pretty informed seem to use them a lot in their set ups. Or are they just more of a solution for a problem that doesn't exist?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks appreciate the input! I have a ST-T2 and T3 ordered, I'll pick up a T1 as well, and a couple BCM buffers. Guess it never hurts to have some extras laying around.

One other quick question, from your recommendations I picked up a couple colt buffer springs. Have you ever used sprinco springs? Is there any benefit to trying to mix one of these into the testing equation? On a really small forum I'm on a couple of the members who are pretty informed seem to use them a lot in their set ups. Or are they just more of a solution for a problem that doesn't exist?

CS Springs are good, but get them in a Standard Weight unless you have overgassing issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom