Anyone notice a difference in recoil in their ARs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    All things being equal, that is.

For instance. My BCM build vs my ADEQ HBAR (spikes upper and BCG for the record.)

I just took the ADEQ out for the first time today. Both rifles have the same buffer spring, same buffer, both M16 BCGs, both shooting the same ammo, both mid length gas systems. Yet I feel it a lot more with the ADEQ.

The recoil isn't like...bothering me or anything...it's a 5.56 after all. I just found it weird.

Some guy at Delmarva today also remarked that my ADEQ sounded a lot louder than his AR...but thats sort of a ridiculous datapoint and I don't think its worth anything.

My first thought is that the ADEQ might be over gassed slightly. Possible? I don't know.

As to the weight of the rifles...they're pretty similar.

I might just throw a H buffer in the ADEQ. H and H2 buffers are good to go in middies, right?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The HBAR in theory with all things being equal, recoil less. Unless the accessories on the lighter gun give more weight to the setup.

Also Bolt Carriers will effect recoil. A lighter Carrier wil kick less than a M16 Carrier, but an M16 is more reliable because of the added mass.

If both guns have the same as length gas system, same buffers, same buffer, springs, same muzzle devices, then the only thing is the Gss Port. You are likely spot on with your assessment.

H1, 2 and 3 buffers are fine on middies regardless of what AR15.com, Lightfighter, and M4C.net says.

On the gun thats louder and recoils more try a Spikes ST-T3 Buffer. As long as it locks back the olt on an empty mag you should be GTG with the ST-T3. I think AIM has them with free shiping. You can also try a 9mm Buffer. Your welcome to borrow one of mine to see if it helps.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    The HBAR in theory with all things being equal, recoil less. Unless the accessories on the lighter gun give more weight to the setup.

Also Bolt Carriers will effect recoil. A lighter Carrier wil kick less than a M16 Carrier, but an M16 is more reliable because of the added mass.

If both guns have the same as length gas system, same buffers, same buffer, springs, same muzzle devices, then the only thing is the Gss Port. You are likely spot on with your assessment.

H1, 2 and 3 buffers are fine on middies regardless of what AR15.com, Lightfighter, and M4C.net says.

On the gun thats louder and recoils more try a Spikes ST-T3 Buffer. As long as it locks back the olt on an empty mag you should be GTG with the ST-T3. I think AIM has them with free shiping. You can also try a 9mm Buffer. Your welcome to borrow one of mine to see if it helps.

Much appreciate it my friend. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy one.

So, with everything else being equal, I take it this means the gas tube/block is out of spec slightly? Is this going to cause me any reliability issues any time before 30k rds?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Much appreciate it my friend. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy one.

So, with everything else being equal, I take it this means the gas tube/block is out of spec slightly? Is this going to cause me any reliability issues any time before 30k rds?

Gas tube should be fine, it just means the Gas Port in the Barrel could be drilled too large allowing more gas to reach the bolt, increasing bolt velocity.

There are 3 ways to fix it (Add Adjustale Gas Block, Add XP Recoil Spring, Add Heavier Buffer, or add a Restrictor Bushing in the Barrel Port).

Recoil Spring and Buffer is the easiest to test first.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Gas tube should be fine, it just means the Gas Port in the Barrel could be drilled too large allowing more gas to reach the bolt, increasing bolt velocity.

There are 3 ways to fix it (Add Adjustale Gas Block, Add XP Recoil Spring, Add Heavier Buffer, or add a Restrictor Bushing in the Barrel Port).

Recoil Spring and Buffer is the easiest to test first.

Roger. I will try the buffer first. But will the extra gas blowing back into the bolt cause any premature wear on any parts? Assuming I add a heavier buffer.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Roger. I will try the buffer first. But will the extra gas blowing back into the bolt cause any premature wear on any parts? Assuming I add a heavier buffer.

In itself, no unless the buffer is bottoming out on the receiver extension no added wear will happen. Problem is this replicates the effects of a sound suppressor. the extra gas blows the lubricant off of the operating surfaces, when this happens extra where will occur. just be sure to use a excellent gun lubricant, or use synthetic motor oil, the heavier the viscocity the better. Heavy lubes stay put better tjan lubes like breakfree.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    In itself, no unless the buffer is bottoming out on the receiver extension no added wear will happen. Problem is this replicates the effects of a sound suppressor. the extra gas blows the lubricant off of the operating surfaces, when this happens extra where will occur. just be sure to use a excellent gun lubricant, or use synthetic motor oil, the heavier the viscocity the better. Heavy lubes stay put better tjan lubes like breakfree.

Great. I'll order an H or H2 and keep er' lubed.

Thanks Chad :thumbsup:

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    To me there definetly seems to be a difference in a 16" with carbine gas, and a 20" with rifle gas system.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Slimjim; which can you notice a little more kick with? My current ar and the one I am buying are carbines. I have no experience on a longer barreled ar platform.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I personally like the carbine ar's. If you get on them they do come off target slightly but other than that I like em.:D

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Slimjim; which can you notice a little more kick with? My current ar and the one I am buying are carbines. I have no experience on a longer barreled ar platform.

To me the rifle length seems to have less recoil, And doesnt throw the empties as far as a carbine length gas on a 16" barrel, some people say the 16" with the carbine gas system is over gassed. And should be using a mid length, where a 14.5/7 is the correct length for a carbine gas system. But i'd like to hear clandestines thoughts on it.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Hey Chad. My AR has an 16" HBAR, and rifle length gas. What buffer would I be best served with. All parts are new and assumedly in spec. I just want something uber reliable.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I am sure you are on to something Slim. As stated I can feel the the recoil and muzzle jumps on the carbines when i want to empty a clip. Not like my guide gun 45-70 recoil but it just doesn't seem to have the smoothness that a 223 or 5.56 round should. But they sure are loud!!

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hey Chad. My AR has an 16" HBAR, and rifle length gas. What buffer would I be best served with. All parts are new and assumedly in spec. I just want something uber reliable.

You have a rifle length gas system in a 16" barrel?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    To me the rifle length seems to have less recoil, And doesnt throw the empties as far as a carbine length gas on a 16" barrel, some people say the 16" with the carbine gas system is over gassed. And should be using a mid length, where a 14.5/7 is the correct length for a carbine gas system. But i'd like to hear clandestines thoughts on it.

Your spot on IMO. You can go shorter with Middy Gas but it requires opening the port. Same for Rifle Gas. I an make a Rifle Gassed gun rin wit a 15" Barrel 9Threaded right in front of the Gas Block). It just requires some patience when enlarging the port, you go slowly and work it up. No 2 guns are aloike in my experience.

It depends on the size of the Gas Port, the Type of Carrier, the Type of Hammer and wether the gas Block is adjustable. heres alot of variables.

I normally use Standard Weight Colt Buffer Springs, and start with the heaviest Buffer and test fire with Brass Cased 55 Grain Ammo (No Suppressor). If it can cycle 2 30 round mags in rapid sequence, and lock the bolt back properly both times, then I stick with the heaviest buffer. Always shoot LIGHT ammo to test because if it locks back on 55 GR, it will lock back on heavier ammo.

Without an Adjustable Gas Block you may have to use a lighter buffer for steel cased ammo (Dosent seal the chamber), and sometimes use a heavier than standard buffer and Recoil Spring when a Sound Supressor is attached to compensate for the overgassing a Suppressor causes.

I have a ST-T2 in my 14.5" Noveske Barreled AR you shot. It will run 55 grain brass cased with the ST-T2 with a Colt Spring Non-Suppressed.

It will run steel cased ammo with the ST-T2 but the bolt wont lock back, BUT once I add the suppressor it WILL lock back. If I use a ST-T1 then it locks back.

I can run the Suppressor with the ST-T2 with 55 Grain Brass cased ammo but the buffer bottoms out on the Buffer tube. You can test this by using lipstick on the buffer tail and firing one round. When I add the Spikes ST-T3 and use the Colt SPring it does not bottom out inte buffer tube.

Ideally my gun will work with the ST-T2 with all ammo and wether suppressod or not, BUT to run the most efficiently, I use the T1 on Wolf UNSUPRESSED, The T2 on Wolf SUPPRESSED and Brass Cased UNSUPRESSED, and the T3 on Brass Cased Suppressed.

You can eminate the necessity for this by using a Noveske Switch Block, with exception to Steel Cased Ammo, sometimes with the Switch Block you stil need a light buffer to make the gun cycle or lock back.

Basically the AMMO you choose dictates on how the gun should be setup, and wether or not you will run a suppressor.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You have a rifle length gas system in a 16" barrel?

I have rifle length on a 15" barrel. Its easy to do with ome patience. Most Rifle Gasses 15-16" barrels need a .110-125 Port to run, this is a guestimate since all guns behave differently. I start at .100 and work my way up for these aplications.

Its a VERY soft shooting setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom