Anyone here have a small towable utility trailer, the kind they sell at the big box stores?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I also have a tractor Supply trailer with wood floors and the ramp tailgate. About $1k I recall and they give you the stuff to take to MVA. Get appt at MVA
    I had a spare trailer plate on it to take it home.
    A trailer sales place may be able to tag it for you but may cost you more.
    Boards are nailed in and not bolted so I plan to make some changes to it soon but the bikes are strapped to the side so they are not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    My 3500lb 7x10 quality trailer weighs 1000lbs empty. He's got an additional 1000lbs+ of capacity.... and a trailer to use now and potentially grow into in the future....

Trailers are not unlike gun safes, determine what you need now and multiply by 3 (or 10 LOL).
    Where are you seeing a 2000 lb towing capacity for a Camry? Google search shows me ranges of "not rated" through 1000lbs, and a few sources up to 1500 lbs max. It makes no sense to buy a trailer like that, I stand by my recommendation to just use the home depot flatbeds for occasional use, and buy a trailer in the future if/when OP has an actual tow vehicle.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Trailers are not unlike gun safes, determine what you need now and multiply by 3 (or 10 LOL).

Now that's funny! I don't need a lot of trailer. I'm even wondering if I can get 4X8 sheets of drywall to lay on a 4X8 trailer if I build up the sides so the drywall sits above the wheel wells. I'll be needing quite a few sheets of drywall before the trailer is used primarily for yard work and trash runs. I can always pay for delivery or 75 minute pickup truck rentals for the building supplies, but I'm sure that if I buy a trailer, I'll find other use for it.

Thanks for the replies!

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Where are you seeing a 2000 lb towing capacity for a Camry? Google search shows me ranges of "not rated" through 1000lbs, and a few sources up to 1500 lbs max. It makes no sense to buy a trailer like that, I stand by my recommendation to just use the home depot flatbeds for occasional use, and buy a trailer in the future if/when OP has an actual tow vehicle.

The factory manual. If as stated above, even the cheap trailers are last 10-20 years, then in all likelihood the Camry will be replaced before the trailer's unusable.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    The factory manual. If as stated above, even the cheap trailers are last 10-20 years, then in all likelihood the Camry will be replaced before the trailer's unusable.
    I checked the owners manual for 2016, 2020 and 2024, All say towing not recommended. Not sure why it's being recommended here. It is what it is, not my thread, just bored on a Friday afternoon...
    Screenshot_20240329-161636.png
    Screenshot_20240329-161540.png
    Screenshot_20240329-161248.png

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I'm not recommending anything, and I'm not going to copy my manual to prove anything to you.

Thanks

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Guys, it was going so well! I appreciate the feedback on the utility trailers I inquired about, but I'm not asking for opinions on vehicles, much less one I've owned and maintained for years.

Thanks again!

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Now that's funny! I don't need a lot of trailer. I'm even wondering if I can get 4X8 sheets of drywall to lay on a 4X8 trailer if I build up the sides so the drywall sits above the wheel wells.

On the Harbor Freight 4x8 trailers, the fenders are outside the 4'.

In fact, the floor is a user provided 4x8 sheet of plywood. You cut it in half if you plan to fold the trailer. If not, leave it in one piece and it will be a bit more solid.

Either way, the bed area is a little larger than 4x8. There is enough space inside the fenders for whole 4x8 sheets plus sidewalls the user may decide to install.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    HFT has a bad ass new trailer coming out. It is supposed to be in stores by June. I'm debating replacing my 5x8 with this one.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    On the Harbor Freight 4x8 trailers, the fenders are outside the 4'.

In fact, the floor is a user provided 4x8 sheet of plywood. You cut it in half if you plan to fold the trailer. If not, leave it in one piece and it will be a bit more solid.

Either way, the bed area is a little larger than 4x8. There is enough space inside the fenders for whole 4x8 sheets plus sidewalls the user may decide to install.

Excellent, that's very good to know! Even though I haven't really decided on which trailer, this morning I received an email from HFT with a coupon for 15% off anything in the store! From what I've seen, they're the cheapest but ironically have one of the higher load carrying capacity for the size, of the trailers I've seen at the big box stores. Not that I believe all that is advertised; especially anything that comes out of China.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I'm thinking about buying a small, inexpensive, utility trailer for picking stuff up at stores and garden centers on occasion; drywall, lumber, plants, mulch, etc., as well as taking trash and yard waste to the dump.
    The pro trailer shops should do the title & tag paperwork for you.

The harder part is getting the hitch installed (do that first, of course)

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Buy it in Deleware. Get Maine tags. Home Depot and Lowe’s in Maryland wouldn’t let me take possession until I came back with a Maryland registration.

I have this one. With a coupon it was under $500 like 4 years ago. It’s a little flimsy but perfect for garbage, lumber, etc. tried loading a ditch witch on it, and that was too much despite being inside its rating. Would not buy it at the current price. The harbor freight trailer looks better.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    HFT has a bad ass new trailer coming out. It is supposed to be in stores by June. I'm debating replacing my 5x8 with this one.

Very cool trailer! I liked the tracks on the sides and the protected lights, but I'm hoping to buy something before June or July of 2025.

Thanks for the heads-up!

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I'm thinking about buying a small, inexpensive, utility trailer for picking stuff up at stores and garden centers on occasion; drywall, lumber, plants, mulch, etc., as well as taking trash and yard waste to the dump.

I've searched the Maryland MDOT site and could not find any info on the requirements or procedure for registering these types of trailers.

Since I'm still thinking about it, I'm wondering what it would take to register a new trailer, used trailer, trailer without title, trailer that I buy and modify, such as adding a side wall, etc. I'd like to know what I need in terms of inspections, registration costs, whether the trailer needs to have a VIN, etc.

Can anyone here shed some light and possibly even recommend models? I need something that can carry 4X8 sheets of drywall and can be towed with a standard sedan like a Toyota Camry. Right now I'm thinking a galvanized 5'x8' with or without walls that are available at Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

I'm not interested in buying an SUV or a truck.

Thanks in advance for any help with this and I hope everyone has a great weekend!
    If it is a landscape trailer under 2500 lbs GVWR it is NOT REQUIRED TO BE TITLED OR REGISTERED.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    No tag? Did you get that info from the MD MVA?
    MD transportation article. I used to have a training bulletin from my department that discussed it, don't know where it may be anymore. I had a 5x8 trailer for many years and never tagged/tittled it.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    The pro trailer shops should do the title & tag paperwork for you.

The harder part is getting the hitch installed (do that first, of course)
    Good point! There seems to be multiple options for the hitches too, and depending on the car (whether made in Japan or the US), it may require drilling and tapping some holes on the frame. That's something else I have to research, but I wanted to get an idea of cost to register first.

Thank you!

Buy it in Deleware. Get Maine tags. Home Depot and Lowe’s in Maryland wouldn’t let me take possession until I came back with a Maryland registration.

I have this one. With a coupon it was under $500 like 4 years ago. It’s a little flimsy but perfect for garbage, lumber, etc. tried loading a ditch witch on it, and that was too much despite being inside its rating. Would not buy it at the current price. The harbor freight trailer looks better.

I'm still not sure of the difference in cost of registration. According to the link above to Maine it was $125/5 years there, and somewhere above I believe I read $25/year in MD, but I still need to verify the cost of the inspection in the case I add floor boards, etc. to the models that are sold as "kits."

Right now, in terms of current prices for basic trailers, the order seems to be HFT, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowes. Some stores say a specific trailer is not available for sale in MD, whereas other stores have the same trailer ready for pick up on the same day. I just have to verify the cost of inspection and registration and decide whether there's any true difference in quality between the basic models offered at the stores above...I doubt there is.

Thanks again, and a safe weekend for all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom