Anyone here have a small towable utility trailer, the kind they sell at the big box stores?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Not sure if inspection is required on a new trailer. Believe you’ll need to title in Maryland. That’s an extra cost. Maine does not require titling small trailers.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If it's an assemble it yourself trailer...it requires inspection along with the certificate of origin it should come with. If it's a new factory assembled trailer it doesn't require inspection but the certificate of origin is required.

If the trailer is not used on public roads it requires no inspection or title...or possibly a farm title and tag. Getting it titled at least means proof of ownership.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    If it's an assemble it yourself trailer...it requires inspection along with the certificate of origin it should come with. If it's a new factory assembled trailer it doesn't require inspection but the certificate of origin is required.

If the trailer is not used on public roads it requires no inspection or title...or possibly a farm title and tag. Getting it titled at least means proof of ownership.

Much obliged for the added info.! For my purposes it would definitely need a title, and possibly an inspection.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    My hopes were dashed. I thought I might be at 2500GVW. I found the title and BAM!! 3000GVW printing glared at me. Thought I might have been paying for stickers unnecessarily. I am totally bummed out and it’s all Spoonman’s fault.

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    When I got my HF trailer inspected decades ago, the corner gas station did it, but couldn't complete it until I hooked it to my car to show that the lights worked.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Those econo trailers usually do not have extruded plastic loom over the lighting harness. Good idea to pull it out and add the plastic loom to protect that cheep harness. Then spray it with Bonide waxy pepper spray to ward off critters that like to chew because their incisors are constantly growing. Trailers sit and they find them. Also if you see cheep 3M wire splicers, ditch them. Solder and heat shrink or you WILL experience corrosion which in turn causes a voltage drop and could experience meltage to heat caused by resistance caused by corrosion.
    Nick (39 years diesel, hydraulics and HD truck automatic transmission).

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    That would be bitchin'!

Maryland Transportation Section 13-102​

Article - Transportation
    § 13-102.

A certificate of title is not required for:
    (12) A trailer, other than a camping trailer, rated by the manufacturer as having a gross vehicle weight of 2,500 pounds or less.
    If you go to the MVA and ask them if you can spend money and submit to their authority, they will gladly take your money and hold you under their thumb... or heel. But according to the Maryland Transportation Article, a trailer rated at 2500 GVWR or less is NOT REQUIRED to be titled, therefore it cannot be registered.

The MVA will take your money and demand a $150 "inspection", but it is not needed.

OP, used trailers are available all the time. Facebook Martketplace, Craigslist, etc. If you budget for a used trailer, set aside money for new tires (always a good idea with a trailer) and $40 for a new LED trailer lights from Harbor Freight.

My dad just sold a nice 14x8 with rear and side loading ramps for about $300 last fall. He didn't have a need for it anymore and it seemed everytime we needed to use it we had to replace a tire on it. We figured it was easier to rent one from U-haul for a couple hours if I need to move the tractor from his house to mine, or to the repair shop.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Those econo trailers usually do not have extruded plastic loom over the lighting harness. Good idea to pull it out and add the plastic loom to protect that cheep harness. Then spray it with Bonide waxy pepper spray to ward off critters that like to chew because their incisors are constantly growing. Trailers sit and they find them. Also if you see cheep 3M wire splicers, ditch them. Solder and heat shrink or you WILL experience corrosion which in turn causes a voltage drop and could experience meltage to heat caused by resistance caused by corrosion.
    Nick (39 years diesel, hydraulics and HD truck automatic transmission).

Thank you Sir! I had seen a vid where someone recommended better wire looms that would withstand the UV rays, but your suggestions are even better! One complaint I saw on vids on the folding HFT trailer was finding a way to make the license plate swing so that I doesn't get bent if/when you fold your trailer. I'd never heard of the Bonide pepper spray but just found it at Amazon and will see if it's safe for me to spray on any exposed wiring inside my house.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    If you go to the MVA and ask them if you can spend money and submit to their authority, they will gladly take your money and hold you under their thumb... or heel. But according to the Maryland Transportation Article, a trailer rated at 2500 GVWR or less is NOT REQUIRED to be titled, therefore it cannot be registered.

The MVA will take your money and demand a $150 "inspection", but it is not needed.

OP, used trailers are available all the time. Facebook Martketplace, Craigslist, etc. If you budget for a used trailer, set aside money for new tires (always a good idea with a trailer) and $40 for a new LED trailer lights from Harbor Freight.

My dad just sold a nice 14x8 with rear and side loading ramps for about $300 last fall. He didn't have a need for it anymore and it seemed everytime we needed to use it we had to replace a tire on it. We figured it was easier to rent one from U-haul for a couple hours if I need to move the tractor from his house to mine, or to the repair shop.

Thank you for the info.! I'll be needing something for this Summer and only recently started researching the subject. I had thought about buying an old truck but if a small trailer can handle the job, I much rather spend the money on an old Corvette or Miata after the remodel is completed.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    One complaint I saw on vids on the folding HFT trailer was finding a way to make the license plate swing so that I doesn't get bent if/when you fold your trailer.

Not when it folds. When you pull the tongue pin to tip/dump it, the tail goes down and the plate will get bent up. I added gate hinges to mine so the plate swings.

Folding isn't a problem, the tail folds up and forward and then you stand it up. The plate will be up in the air then.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    It takes a bit of back and forth finding the info. on the MD gov sites, but other than the cost of an inspection, which is market price, here's what I found. My research was for a new utility trailer kit that I would have to assemble and add at least the floor. Judging from the replies, it could be that others are also looking for a utility trailer, so perhaps the info. will be helpful to someone else.

How do I title a homemade trailer?
    A "homemade" trailer is a trailer that is built by someone other than a licensed manufacturer.

You can apply for a title for a trailer that will carry 5,000 pounds or less in person at any of the MVA’s full service branch offices. You also can mail the documents to the MVA’s Mail In Title Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying.

If the trailer will carry 5,001 pounds or more, you can apply for a title in person at the Glen Burnie branch office. In either case, you will need to submit the following documents:

• Proof of ownership – The ownership document must be for the vehicle frame used in building the trailer (if any):
      • If the frame is new, the certificate of origin included for the frame is required.
      • If the frame is from a used vehicle, a title for the vehicle in your name or a title that has been properly assigned to you is required.
      • If the frame is from a salvaged vehicle, a salvage certificate in your name or a certificate that has been properly assigned to you is required.
      • Other documents that may establish ownership are:
        • Registration document and bill of sale – ONLY if the state from which the frame was obtained did not issue a title (usually because of the vehicle’s age);
        • Sales receipts.
    • Application – You may use either the back of the Maryland title, if applicable, or the Application for Certificate of Title to request the new title (and registration, if applicable). When the Maryland title is used as the application form, complete the section entitled Application for Title and Registration.
    • Proof of purchase price – You must submit the bills of sale and/or receipts for all parts and labor.
    • Odometer disclosure statement - Not required for a trailer.
    • Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number - A new vehicle identification number (VIN) will be assigned to the completed trailer. If the trailer is rated to carry more than 5,000 pounds, the Maryland State Police (MSP) also must inspect the completed trailer, at which time they will install the VIN plate. For lighter weight trailers (5,000 pounds or less), an MSP inspection is not required. However, in both cases you must submit a Maryland inspection certificate when registering the vehicle.
    • Certified Statement of Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - The statement, signed by you, must declare the maximum weight to be carried by the trailer.
    • Photographs of the trailer - Both side and rear view photographs of the trailer are required. The photos must show the full length of the trailer and include the trailer’s tongue (opposite angles), safety chains, license plate bracket, and taillights. Note that the wheels must be covered with fenders or the body of the trailer.
    • Maryland safety inspection certificate - A safety inspection is required if the vehicle is being registered at the same time (most cases).
    Your title will be mailed to you. If you also register the vehicle (most cases), your registration card, license plates and expiration date stickers can be provided immediately when you apply in person to the MVA; otherwise, these items also will be mailed to you.

Homemade Trailer P13/109 (cut & paste not allowed)

Application for Certificate of Title for Vehicle

$117 Title

($17 per year EMS surcharge X 2 years NOT REQUIRED for trailers under 3000 GVW)

$20 Security Interest Title Fee for each Lien Recorded (have no idea what this means, they should write

Security Interest Lien​

If the vehicle is subject to a security interest lien, a recording fee will apply. A notice of security interest filing is mailed to the lending institution or person and the title is mailed to the owner. After the lien is satisfied, the security interest document must be mailed to the owner and kept with the title. Both documents are required to sell or trade the vehicle.
    If there is a lien against your out-of-state title...

REGISTRATION
    In the classes identified below, vehicles will be registered for two (2) years at time of titling or at the time registration is renewed. The following fees include the yearly $17.00 surcharge for the EMS system, except where noted otherwise

Registration Plates: $51/2 years for Trailers of 3000lb GVW or less (no surcharge)

$51

Certificate of inspection

A safety inspection is required for all used cars, trucks, tractors, trailers, motorcycles, special equipment, and class "B" for hire vehicles being titled and registered in Maryland.
    They must be inspected by a licensed Maryland inspection station, such as an automobile dealer, service station and specialized automobile service center. A certificate of inspection, issued within 90 days of the vehicle to be titled, must accompany the application for a title. Please compare the vehicle identification number (VIN) on the inspection certificate with the one on the vehicle and the vehicle ownership documents to make certain they all agree. Altered inspection certificates will not be accepted.

If you purchase a used vehicle and cannot transport it to an inspection station to have the vehicle inspected, you may request a 30-day temporary registration when you title your vehicle. To apply for the temporary license plate, you must complete a temporary inspection waiver (form #VR-129). There is a fee for the temporary registration.

The 30-Day Temporary Registration

If you need registration plates in order to obtain a vehicle safety inspection, you may apply for a 30-day temporary registration. It is important to note that only one (1) 30-day temporary registration may be issued. Therefore it is suggested that you apply only when you are ready to have the vehicle safety inspected.

If you purchase a vehicle in need of repairs, you may title the vehicle in your name. The title will be issued to you and mailed to your address. When you are ready to obtain the safety inspection in order to register the vehicle, you may then apply for the temporary registration.

You must complete the Temporary Inspection Waiver (form VR-129). The fee for a temporary registration is $20.

Once your vehicle has been safety inspected, you may apply for your one or two year registration plates. You will need to bring the following documents to the registration section of any full service office.

• Your temporary registration
    • The Maryland safety inspection certificate from the inspection station. (Note: The white – MVA copy of the inspection certificate is required. The yellow – customer copy is for your own records and will not be accepted by the MVA).
    • Insurance information including your insurance company’s name, policy or binder number and agent.
    • An Application for New Plates/Stickers & Transfer of Plates or Non-Title Trailers (form # VR-008).
    • Required fees for registration plates.

INSPECTIONS

How do I obtain a Maryland Safety Inspection Certification for my vehicle?

To obtain an inspection certification, you must have your vehicle inspected at a licensed vehicle safety inspection station in Maryland. There are approximately 1,600 of these facilities throughout the state. Stations are authorized to inspect certain types of vehicles, some inspect multiple types, see below for the station class you need. Most vehicles on the road are class A vehicles.

Vehicle Classes

• Class A - Passenger vehicles, autocycles, limousines, multipurpose passenger vehicles, recreational motor homes and trucks 10,000 pounds and under GVWR, and trailers not equipped with air brakes.
    • Class B - Any trailer, including those equipped with air brakes.
    • Class C - Trucks, truck tractors, buses, recreational motor homes, converted buses, and limousines over 10,000 pounds GVWR.
    • Class M - Motorcycles, 3-wheeled motorcycles, and trailers that are not equipped with air brakes.
    • Class T - Any trailer not equipped with air brakes.
    • Class R - Recreational motor homes and converted buses.
    Always inquire whether the station has the proper authorization to inspect your vehicle. To locate a licensed vehicle safety inspection station near you use this link Inspection Station Lookup.

Before you take the vehicle to be inspected, ensure that it is properly registered, either in Maryland or in another state. If you are not able to register the vehicle because it has not yet received a safety certification, you may qualify for a 30-day temporary registration that will enable you to legally drive the vehicle to the inspection station. It is the vehicle owner’s responsibility to legally transport the vehicle to the inspection station.

The Inspection is completed electronically within the Maryland Safety Inspection System. Once the vehicle is determined to meet or exceed the Maryland Safety Standards the inspection mechanic will electronically certify the inspection and the information is transmitted electronically to the MVA. The owner should provide an email address so they will be able to receive the electronic receipt of the inspection.

If the customer has a temporary vehicle registration, the business day following a passed inspection, the customer can go online: myMVA to have the registration card and stickers, valid for two years, mailed to them, eliminating a trip to the MVA.

Fees:
    • The fee for a vehicle safety inspection varies with the inspection station’s labor rate. Maryland regulations regulate the number of labor hours billed by the station for an inspection, but they do not regulate the station’s labor rate. The fee charged for a safety inspection must be prominently displayed in each station.
    • The fee for the re-inspection of a vehicle varies with the inspection station’s labor rate and the specific parts or systems that need to be re-inspected. A re-inspection fee is not to be charged if the repair can be visually confirmed, such as an inoperable light. If the re-inspection requires jacking, lifting, measuring, or testing the vehicle, a prorated fee may be charged.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Not when it folds. When you pull the tongue pin to tip/dump it, the tail goes down and the plate will get bent up. I added gate hinges to mine so the plate swings.

Folding isn't a problem, the tail folds up and forward and then you stand it up. The plate will be up in the air then.

I see...makes sense! I'm not sure how much that tilting mechanism would make my life easier. If I were to buy a trailer with it, I'd probably just bolt it in the locked position. The same goes for the folding mechanism.

Thanks for the clarification!

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I see...makes sense! I'm not sure how much that tilting mechanism would make my life easier.

I used it often when hauling leaves to the landfill. I made the sides solid 2 1/2 ft high and packed it with leaves every fall. Tilting it made it a bit easier to push them out.

It might be useful if you ever get a load of mulch, or something similar.

If I were to buy a trailer with it, I'd probably just bolt it in the locked position. The same goes for the folding mechanism.

I don't use the folding feature either. When I first built it I cut the deck so it would fold.

After 10 or so years outside I had to replace the first deck (untreated plywood), and I didn't cut the new one, I left it in one 4x8 piece, so it doesn't fold now. It makes it a bit more stable.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I used it often when hauling leaves to the landfill. I made the sides solid 2 1/2 ft high and packed it with leaves every fall. Tilting it made it a bit easier to push them out.

It might be useful if you ever get a load of mulch, or something similar.

I don't use the folding feature either. When I first built it I cut the deck so it would fold.

After 10 or so years outside I had to replace the first deck (untreated plywood), and I didn't cut the new one, I left it in one 4x8 piece, so it doesn't fold now. It makes it a bit more stable.

Good point; there will probably be lots of topsoil and mulch in my not too distant future! Thanks again!

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I had one of the Tractor Supply Karavan trailers, they are SUPER nice. I know OP isn't towing it with his Camry, however I've got mine up on auction at Trice in Denton right now and its only at $1K.

It's new on the lot at $3K so likely to be a good deal. Mentioning it here because I think its the best trailer I've ever owned quality wise. The bed-sides fold down, there are tool-boxes in the fenders, and the entire frame is tube rather than channel, fully boxed in and then powder-coated not painted.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I had one of the Tractor Supply Karavan trailers, they are SUPER nice. I know OP isn't towing it with his Camry, however I've got mine up on auction at Trice in Denton right now and its only at $1K.

It's new on the lot at $3K so likely to be a good deal. Mentioning it here because I think its the best trailer I've ever owned quality wise. The bed-sides fold down, there are tool-boxes in the fenders, and the entire frame is tube rather than channel, fully boxed in and then powder-coated not painted.

That's a nice one! A little longer than what I need, but other than the wood being a little grey it looks new and has all the features. I plan on storing it in the garage, so I'm trying to focus on one that's not too long.

Thanks for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom