Anyone here considered buying a house across the PA border?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    Thanks. We're looking at new construction, 'Delta Ridge'. It's just across the line, maybe a half mile from the ShopRite on 165. Current builder is Bob Ward. Don't know much about them, but I haven't heard anything negative either. Seems like a good location, can't wait to make the jump.
    Bob Ward is a great contractor.

lwarfield

Apr 22, 2010
    Harford Co, Md
    We lived in Fawn Grove right over the line for 3 years until we got fed up with the school taxes and the other misc taxes. If you are self employed the discount in the income taxes doesn't even begin to equal out. The local services, in my opinion, were horrible. Where we were at was pretty much 45min-1 hour for police response.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    We lived in Fawn Grove right over the line for 3 years until we got fed up with the school taxes and the other misc taxes. If you are self employed the discount in the income taxes doesn't even begin to equal out. The local services, in my opinion, were horrible. Where we were at was pretty much 45min-1 hour for police response.

interesting perspective. thanks!

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    the only thing better about living in pa is gun laws. i grew up there and my entire family lives there. Taxes are high and you have to register your vehicle every year, which can get very expensive if you can't pass inspection (it's a strict inspection too!) with an old car. Jobs are not as high paying and there are much less jobs then in MD. The State government is going broke every year and even stopped paying the State employees for almost a month. The grass is always greener, but believe me the grass in not that green if your young and trying to make money. And the people are not that great either. I can say this because all of my family and my wife's family lives there to this day. I travel there every month and all of the holidays. The only thing better are the gun laws. Crime is still bad in well populated areas because of the lack of good paying jobs.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE

Thanks for the fresh perspective - had not heard this before. Have a friend that lives in northern PA (Wellsboro); he retired up there - grew up there actually and went back after he left the Army. Just got stuck paying an extra $200/mo city tax for the new high school....nice to have when you are in your sixties.....

Patrick218

May 17, 2010
    Another strike against PA would be as a resident you can't go to buy fireworks without a permit while I as a MD resident can, but have to sneak them into MD.Never makes sense to me and high taxes and so many of them also not to mention the crappy roads,drive on 83 north and when the road gets crappy your in PA.

mwoods269

Mar 15, 2014
    Property Taxes

I know this is an old thread but I am hoping other folks are still trying to figure this out from all perspectives. Here is what I found and what I am stuck on. My example is simply New Freedom, PA Versus Freeland, Maryland which are back to back.

1) You get more house for your money in PA versus MD
    2) PA property/school taxes etc seems to be double. Looking at zillow etc.
    3) MD income tax seems higher and using a simple paycheck calculator with $100,000 salary/yr results in PA with approximately $60 more in your pay bi-weekly. PA you usually break even with state tax at tax time and MD you usually get a few hundred back. Claiming 0 all year.

There are many other small cost factors but what I can't get past is that on a $500,000 house in PA and MD you will pay approximately $450-500 more a month in payment in PA because of the higher (approx double) taxes (Thanks to my buddy for pointing that out!). Now you could say well I get more house in PA so I could probably get a $400,000 house in PA and $500,000 in MD. The catch is that you will always pay the higher property tax even when you pay off your home in PA.

So pay less for the house and more for taxes long term? Are there any other factors you guys have considered that I am missing.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I know this is an old thread but I am hoping other folks are still trying to figure this out from all perspectives. Here is what I found and what I am stuck on. My example is simply New Freedom, PA Versus Freeland, Maryland which are back to back.

1) You get more house for your money in PA versus MD
    2) PA property/school taxes etc seems to be double. Looking at zillow etc.
    3) MD income tax seems higher and using a simple paycheck calculator with $100,000 salary/yr results in PA with approximately $60 more in your pay bi-weekly. PA you usually break even with state tax at tax time and MD you usually get a few hundred back. Claiming 0 all year.

There are many other small cost factors but what I can't get past is that on a $500,000 house in PA and MD you will pay approximately $450-500 more a month in payment in PA because of the higher (approx double) taxes (Thanks to my buddy for pointing that out!). Now you could say well I get more house in PA so I could probably get a $400,000 house in PA and $500,000 in MD. The catch is that you will always pay the higher property tax even when you pay off your home in PA.

So pay less for the house and more for taxes long term? Are there any other factors you guys have considered that I am missing.

First, CCW permits are shall-issue. /thread.

Regarding economics of it:

It's difficult to compare MD to PA. There are many different types of fees. Think back to when Omalley added some 40 fees and tax increases. Rain tax, car registration, bi-annual emissions, etc.

So I think you have to write down what fees and taxes are in each state then add up for your situation. I'm not a dumb person but this and it gets mind-blowing trying to compare the different boroughs and school district's fees.

Another thing to consider is each borough has different politics. The lady that cuts my hair lives in Penn Township. She said you have to use their see-through trash bags which they regularly inspect when you put them out on the street in order to check for recyclables. Another time they fined her because her RV was parked a few inches too far from her house. Adams county is going through some corruption issues with their executive who also supports BLM.

Currently this is our plan: move just over the border where I can hit 83 for daily commute. I know there may be some more fees or whatever but I want more land and a carry permit.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    My sister just moved to PA and her fiance works in Baltimore. Takes him about 60 min to get there, which isnt bad at all. They moved from baltimore county and got a nice house for less than what they sold their townhouse for. Not sure on exact numbers but I know it is cheaper than here. They moved to Red Lion btw.

60mins isn't bad? I'm pissed that it takes me 20mins. :mad54:

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    We thought about it, but financially it's about the same (lower income taxes, but higher property/school taxes). We're looking at Tennessee now. I can get a law license without re-taking the bar and keep my government job through full time telework.

No income taxes and the most conservative state in the country. Now it's just trying to see what areas have what we want.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    We thought about it, but financially it's about the same (lower income taxes, but higher property/school taxes). We're looking at Tennessee now. I can get a law license without re-taking the bar and keep my government job through full time telework.

No income taxes and the most conservative state in the country. Now it's just trying to see what areas have what we want.

I moved to the Chattango TN area a year ago. Was looking at Nashville as well if you have any questions about the area I might be able to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom