• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i have a topless lower :lol2: and i was searching around for uppers last night. i came across the uppers section on midway, and for the first time ever saw uppers in .45ACP.

i was toying with the idea of a pistol caliber upper for this rifle. i'm sure if i dont build one this time i soon will, but i dont know what cal.

of course a .45 would cost more than 9mm to feed, but other than that what are the pros and cons of both??

john

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    PCCs are fun, everyone should have at least one. I have two. The only con with this would be you will need a heavier buffer. I'd rather get the 10mm one, but that's just me.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    ive always thought 10mm to be impractical, i mean not that im looking for it but id imagine you cant pick up a box of 10mm just anywhere.

john

Every gun store I've been to has some on their shelves. It's not at Walmart anymore, but I can live with that. It's not that hard of a caliber to find.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I'd vote for the 10 if you were going for anything other than 9. You could even take it hunting. 45 in a carbine just doesn't make sense to me. Great in a handgun, I just see pcc's for fun and not for defense, so I couldn't justify the cost of 45 without the versatility of the 10. But then again, get whatever you want, it ain't my gun!

Legendjerry

Oct 5, 2011
    I purchased a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 40 a few weeks ago. Its fun to shoot, but I was left wanting more. I feel like it would be a great defensive option with a few adjustments. Never thought of going with the AR platform though. I posted the idea of a Ruger sr 22 that was designed to shoot 9 mm, 40 S&W, or .45 on another thread. If Ruger made that happen Im sure it would be a hit.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    45 in a carbine just doesn't make sense to me.

ThompsonM1A1VWM.jpg

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    A buddy of mine is partial to his OA 45 ACP SBR upper. It is accurate.. a bit more accurate than the UMP45 ( Like..WTF?). It is reliable and recoil is very light.

I would respect this guys opinion on the system... He used to work for me, before becoming a Navy SEAL :)

bx1129

Aug 22, 2011
    Let's see..... I wouldn't use an AR-15 in .45 ACP unless you want to do it just because.

5.56 is a more versatile round.
    1) You can use it from 0-500 with mil spec stuff.
    2) Packs more kinetic energy than a .45 ACP.
    3) Specialized LE (Hornady TAP) rounds are devastating in 5.56 with lowered risk of penetration.

.45 ACP
    1) Over penetrates in CQB.
    2) Max engagement distance of 100 meters

Since you already have a carbine system, a rifle round is more effective than a pistol round period. Since you want to do it just because.....

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    Let's see..... I wouldn't use an AR-15 in .45 ACP unless you want to do it just because.

3) Specialized LE (Hornady TAP) rounds are devastating in 5.56 with lowered risk of penetration.

.45 ACP

Since you already have a carbine system, a rifle round is more effective than a pistol round period. Since you want to do it just because.....

+1

bx1129

Aug 22, 2011
    So why do you think the .45 ACP is far better than the .300 Whisper?

45acp is an excellent suppressed round out of a carbine. Far better than the .300 Whisper or subsonic 9mm in AR's.

That alone makes it worth having an AR in .45.

I plan on doing one next year.

So why do you think the .45 ACP is far better than the .300 Whisper?

Cause I like .45's?

It's a lot easier to find, mostly. Every KMart or WalMart in the country probably has a box or 2 of .45acp sitting around. But .300 Whipser? Not a factor if you hand load, but .45 is a popular caliber throughout the world, and it'll always be around. The .300, not so much...

300 is also at least 2X the price of .45, too. Where you can find it.

A hot-loaded 45acp, out of a carbine length barrel, might do 950-1,000 fps. A .300 Whisper may do up to 1,030 fps. But the .45 weighs 230 gr, where the .300 is only 124-220 gr. Both are simmillar in terms of energy.

Both rounds have "trajactories" that look like football punts past 100 yards, but the .300 is better.

The reason .300 Whisper is popular with suppressed AR folks is this: 1) no modifications to the lower, so any lower or BCG, so with a .300 upper and a couple mags with new floorplates and you're up and running, and 2) you can use a .30 cal suppressor you already own, instead of having to buy another one.

Both of those are good reasons, BTW.

The .45 needs a dedicated lower (if you're running M3 mags) along with the upper, and a 45 suppressor. More $$$ if you go this way. .300 Whisper is the more cost-effective way to go....

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD

.45 ACP

while none of this warrants an argument, i am asking about a pistol round upper, BECAUSE i already have a 5.56 upper. i want a pistol round upper because of the benifits of a pistol for close quaters. i would never expect to use a .45 or even 9mm AR at more than probably 25 yards.....because, duh thats why i have a 5.56

all im saying is you dont need to convince me 5.56 over .45. i was asking about .45 over 9mm.

john

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I am doing what I usually do - lurk and eavesdrop other people's conversations trying to learn something (anything).

I thought the main attraction to a pistol caliber upper was cheaper practice / more practice instead of combat......just curious.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    For cheaper practice just get a .22 upper. That's far cheaper than .45 ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom