Anyone have a breakdown of MD Carry permit numbers by county/city?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I feel the reason for the drop in rate of people is simply due to a bunch who wanted it suddenly could get it. Those people where the ones who are involved with guns and paid attention. That was the initial surge, which lasted 6 months or so, the second group was those who wanted but did not follow the gun news. Then as they found they got their classes done.

I think we are in the stage right now the people getting them ( most ), are ones that are getting just because they can. They probably would not be super upset if they could not get their permit. ( again just most )

The number of instructors ( actively teaching ) will drop as the number of new students does. As it will go from those who where teaching 10-15 people a month down to 3 or 4. That will be good for those trying to keep active and make money. But I think the ones connected with gun ranges/clubs will have the most steered to them. The independent guys who have to pay their own ins, and range fees will have the hardest time.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It should be higher but my guess is that the average gun owner in MD still doesn’t know you can get a carry permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    I found this article from December 2, '23 saying that MSP is reporting a total now of 292,805 active permits "AS OF DEC 2020" ??

I think that MUST be a misprint and they meant "2023" ? If that's the case, the numbers from the Jan 23 slide have nearly tripled.

https://thegunzone.com/how-many-concealed-carry-permits-in-maryland/

Still impressive numbers, given that Bruen was almost exactly mid-year, so the numbers outlined in the slide were less than 7 months since the decision. I would love to see these numbers continue to exponentially grow... and should then be broadcast widely so criminals see them.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That would be 3.6% of population. My prediction is 4.5%, or 225K permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It should be higher but my guess is that the average gun owner in MD still doesn’t know you can get a carry permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going for 3% of 6 million. Opps, latest population estimates are going 6.125 million, but I figure that's within my " +/- " rounding .

Once Shall Issue was widespread, but before the flood of Permitless Carry , various pro gun people looked at percentages of Permit Holders , and looked at various factors influencing .

Maryland has 4 negative factors , and only one positive factor.

Negative :

Expensive in total cost
    Hassle & Delays
    Weak history of a gun culture
    The plethora of gun free zones ,
    even if you have a Permit

Positive:

Transporting w/o a Permit is very restrictive

$500 is real money ( yeah yeah , you're a well informed enthusiast and know the place for the cheapest class you can shave a couple bucks , but it is realistic for Joe Public .)

Two day for class , potentially another schlep for prints . Figure a week or two to find and schedule the class and prints . So both taking time out of your everyday life and obligations, plus if you get stoked at finding out you Can get a Permit , but have 2 months of delayed gratification.

Yes indeed , with my talking with bunches of the public , there's still people just finding out it's possible.

A lot of the Veteran's are fired up to go out and do it for $200 -ish and one stop for prints . A lot of Non Exempts are having to " think about it " .

The high entry will chill those who would have gotten Permit figuring to only use it occasionally ( for various reasons ) .

So yeah , 3 % is a reasonable plateau . Make the process and cost on par with Pennsylvania or even Virginia , and it would go up a point . Eliminate the minefield of No Gun Zones , and it would go up a point .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have a feeling that the upcoming Summer of Mostly Peaceful Politics might influence the unbelievers to take up arms.

It was narrowly escaping a carjacking that started me on the quest, and that was over a decade ago, not that I was an unbeliever.

A couple newsworthy cases of legally armed self-defense would get the news out that MD permits are obtainable, for a price, and maybe even worthwhile.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    159,000 carry permits as of August 2023 per Mark at the MSI meeting today

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    I am a former 20-year MD resident but have been a PA resident for the last 2 years. Got my PA permit within a month of moving to PA, and a few months ago went through the MD required training and permitting process to get my MD "Wear and Carry", as we have adult children and grandchildren still living in MD, so we travel there often. I am pleased to see how many current Wear and Carry permit holders there are, as of January 2023 in the category of "Out of State".

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Thank you.

Did they break the data down any further?
    MSP should be giving an update to the MGA in the near future.

You can also ask MSP Licensing yourself, using PIA request link here-

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Every year the Maryland Department of State Police is supposed to publish an annual report, but the 2023 report has not yet been published. The 2022 report had a brief synopsis about licenses/permits on page 35 (noted below), but with little detail. I think it was published in April, 2023 but I am not certain of that.

I would expect that the Licensing Division has 2023 and YTD 2024 data available.

2022 Annual Report reference:

1707247228137.png

Mike444

About to be a CZ guy
    Dec 30, 2012
    Parkton
    I'm too tired to do the math. What does that look like on a per capita basis?

Also what does that tell the power about where people either feel safe or that do not feel safe????

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    County
    W&C Permits