Anyone got any cool war bring back stories?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sadistcharm

Feb 9, 2014
    My friend and I were discussing his grandfathers m1 garand that he brought back from ww2 and it sparked the topic of bring backs,anyone got any cool stories about a bring back? I've read stories about guys bringing back Lugers and what not and my jaw was literally on the floor. Hahaha

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Sure. I have the 1911 (made in 1918 according to the serial number) that my Grandpa brought back from the Philippines at the end of WWII. He found it on the steps of a church which had been bombed out by the Japanese. At the same time he also picked up a Japanese heavy machine gun but that was taken away when he tried to reenter the USA. Shame is that what he was doing was legal so whomever confiscated it probably just kept it for themselves.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    What's a bring back???

What's a Luger???

Are they handguns that aren't on anyones radar/registration lists ???

YET!!!

PS: What's WWII???

When a person asks for a list of our guns, I suggest we play stupid. Stay vigilant my friends.

Sadistcharm

Feb 9, 2014
    That's really awesome. I saw a picture a while back of a 1911 that stopped a bullet from a Japanese sniper on Iwo Jima. Still had the mag In it and everything. And that's a shame about the machine gun. That would've been one hell of a conversation piece.

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    I friend that I worked with for over 14 years recently inherited a Luger.
    His Grandfather brought it back from Europe during WW2.
    The story is, the unit his gramps was in had recently liberated a town and was moving in to round up wounded and any prisoners, his gramps came across a wounded German officer of some sort who surrendered to him and gave him the luger and holster so he could get medical attention. The holster still had the original loading/takedown tool in it.
    It's been a while so I don't remember the date or manufacturer.
    But cool story.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I remember as a kid, the father of a friend on the block had a Luger he brought home after WWII. I saw it a few times at his house, I don't believe it had ever been fired since it was brought to the USA. Interestingly, there were 2 live rounds in the magazine that somehow had gotten underneath the follower.

dungslinger

Jan 31, 2013
    Martinsburg, WV
    Thompson M1A1

Didn't get to bring it back but I got to shoot it some before it got crushed. It was found next to a M16A1 and some chrome plated AK47's. Still my favorite gun ever.

Attachments

• 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      30.5 KB · Views: 452

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    My father was in Germany during WWII and he said they moved into a town that the Germans had quickly departed. In the center of the town there were three trucks full of confiscated rifles and shotguns. He was the 1st Sargent and all you needed was a letter from the company commander to send stuff back. He picked out two Drillings Shotguns. One had gold inlays and the other silver. He sent them home to Kentucky. While he was away his father lent them to a local who went hunting in the rain and never oiled them. When my father returned home both guns were rusted to hell. He traded them for a pistol.

dungslinger

Jan 31, 2013
    Martinsburg, WV
    I wish that was still the case but I do recall the government was crushing military members for trying to sneak weapons in to the country. I recall some AAV guys got caught with AK parts spread out in fuel tanks of the vehicles and mixed in parts boxes.

I would have paid big money for that Thompson if i had the chance.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good friend's father ( Silver Star in Battle of Bulge , retired SAIC ) had a Red 9 Broomhandle Mauser that had previously been with a freshly deceased SS Officer. Someone higher up had tried to glom it , but he had placed a piece of paper w/ his service number underneath the grips.

But being before the days of C&R exemptions , he had to saw off the attachment bracket of the origional matching wooden holster/ shoulder stock.

drkeg

Jan 14, 2011
    Catonsville
    K98k

My grandfather led a team of mechanics whose job was to recover downed aircraft. On one of those missions they wound up in an area from which the Germans had retreated but had not yet been secured by the Allies, where they found an armory. A couple of his guys found 22LR training rifles and a case of ammo which they were playing with. He wanted one too, but there were no more to be had, so he then decided to pick out the very best looking rifle in the armory to bring back. It is a matching numbers 1939 Mauser Oberndorf K98k, the cleanest looking I have ever seen, better than in any museum I've been to. I also have the original War Souvenir certificate that was required to bring it back.

On a related note, my grandfather saw many valuable weapons, dueling pistol sets, etc. dumped into the harbor on the return trip by people who didn't have the paperwork. The MP's would confiscate undocumented souvenirs, and it was generally believed that they stole the best ones and kept them, and soldiers would rather destroy things than let the MP's steal them.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    When I was in grade school in the 1950s the father of the boy across the street kept a Swedish M96 Mauser hidden in the crawlspace in his attic loft. They were Eastern European Jews, and the son said his father kept it there for insurance. They never shared their history with me, unfortunately.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    These are some good stories. Its a shame that our current guys aren't allowed to take "spoils" of war anymore. When I was in Iraq we were told you could get into some major trouble bringing back anything so no one I know really messed around with it.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    the year was 2008. We were drinking heavily in some Mediterranean port. After swilling many beers that night, the bartender brought me a beer with a name I cannot pronounce, nor even remember the exact spelling. The spelling of the beer looked like TurboDog, so that is what we called it. It was NOT the abita type. I drank many turbodogs that night, and I do recall it being a below average brew, taste wise. I was so enthralled with the name that I brought an empty bottle back to the ship. The bottle made it safely to my apartment, and then home when I got out of the Navy. It then made is safely to my house that I bought.

It has been in my basement ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom