• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i go every year, i am more of a laid back sportsman.... kinda like nascar hahaha.

seriously anyone in the area do any squirrel hunting, the season is already in but i usually dont do much till it gets a bit cooler.

john

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Not intentionally. However, i shot 2 with my X bow last year while dear hunting. They were making to much noise and pissed me off :)

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Love it. It's a laid back type of day and you can't beat squirrels, dumplings and gravy.

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    I'm suddenly craving brunswick stew. Might have to get the .22 out and go find some stew meat squirrels...

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I haven't for years but used to hunt them all the time when I was a kid.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    I haven't been in a couple years. Planning on doing it after the first frost so it kills the warbles. They don't hurt the meat, but there's something I find unsettling about eating an animal whose skin is infested with them. Squirrel meat is quite tasty.

I go every year.Not like a religion,more of a chance to get out in the woods.I shoot them around my house every 2-3 yrs. to keep them thinned out,but haen't in a couple.This yr. I've been watching them drop acorns like carpet bombs and laughing at me.My cars look like an insurance agent's hail storm nightmare.:mad54:

There will be pot-pies.:D

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Where would one go to shoot a squirrel? I would love to hunt some squirrels!

The best place would be private property. But DNR lands work. MD has quite a few public hunting lands. I think there's a list on the DNR website. Or you could use Google. The trick is finding them out in the woods. They're out there, but it seems like they know I'm hunting and hide. Whenever I'm just out messing around I see them. As soon as I have a shotgun in my hands they're nowhere to be found.

What do you guys use for squirrel hunting? I have some centerfire rifles and pistols and an 870. So I use the 870 and upland game loads. 12 gauge is overkill, but it works.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I use my 10/22 with CCI short subsonics, hogue stock, and ER shaw stainless barrel.

I know they have public lands, but the ones near me are all bow only and I believe it is illegal to discharge a rifle in Baltimore city and the local counties, so I guess that leaves me with a bit of a drive then.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have a .17 HMR revolver and a .32 cal muzzleloader for tree rats. I hunt tree rats on public / state lands and save the deer hunting for my private property. Lots more tree rats on the public / state lands before the deer muzzleloader / shotgun seasons come in.

querty

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2011
    Warbles

I haven't been in a couple years. Planning on doing it after the first frost so it kills the warbles. They don't hurt the meat, but there's something I find unsettling about eating an animal whose skin is infested with them. Squirrel meat is quite tasty.

Good to know that the warbles go away after the first frost. Thanks.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Are there any recommendations for game cookbooks? I'm returning to the shooting sports and won't shoot something I won't eat - and if it's going to get eaten, I'm the one who will have to prep/cook as my wife won't....

any favorites out there? (squirrel dumplings sound like a great Sunday night meal...)

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I'll see if I can get teh recipe for the dumplings and gravey. It's a friends and she always prepared them after we got a few.

.22 all the way. More enjoyable, and you don't have the big boom in the woods to alert all the secret squirrels!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the last squirrel i shot i cooked up and boy was it gamey and really pretty nasty. cut a chunk for the dog and even he wouldn't eat it... i'll stick with deer/venison. tenderloin my wife cooks at home better than ANY restaurant filet or strip i've ever had.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Dropped a few this weekend at my buddy's house in PA, they were eating up his gas lines. Used an air rifle, good times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom