Anybody ever "clean" their 22LR ammo? (Remi Golden Bullets)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

So I got a new to me/used Beretta Neos, and now that 22LR seems to be coming back, I decided to crack open a Remington Bucket of Bullets I've been sitting on...

So, I really wanted to wring this gun out, and maybe see how many rounds it'd take to get it to gunk up and fail. So, I brought 300 rounds to the range, and got through all 300 rounds with maybe a half dozen light primer strikes - turns out from fouling of firing pin - but other than those, this thing ran like a top! No duds either, as every round fired if not on the first try, then on the second.

Anyway, when I was done shooting, I noticed the gun actually was pretty clean, but I myself had turned into friggin Goldfinger in the process of handling and loading the 300 rounds! WTF?! Now I usually shoot MiniMags, and I'm used to SOME leading on my hands, but this Golden Bullet coating was basically re-coating my right hand!

So, I'm wondering if anyone's ever tried cleaning their ammo, with say alcohol, or maybe Brakleen to try and lessen the leading involved with handling bulk pack 22LR of any type?

Dec 31, 2012
    Goldfinger is a great description of what golden bullets do through my SR22.
    They shower my hand with little gold flecks during cycling. I didn't notice it much from loading.

Not sure what you could do for washing as golden bullets aren't seated very tightly and you'd risk contaminating the powder.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    .22 Rimfire is an outside-lubricated cartridge, a pre-1870s design.

You must not remove the waxy lube which coats the bullets. Sorry.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just wash your hands before you do anything else (especially eat). Despite the gold-finger aspect, I actually find Golden Bullets to be pretty clean in my gun. If you want to dirty up your gun or do a failure test, try some Thunderbolts or Blazers. Not trying to flame a brand, just my experience.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    OK, all info good to know... So that gold flake is purposeful eh. Guess I just need to use shooting gloves when using this stuff.

FWIW, yes, this stuff does run pretty dang clean for 22LR generally speaking. Oh, and Thuderbolts, yeah I learned that lesson on failure to fire loooong ago -I'll never buy a box of that stuff again... Should be called Thunder duds really.

Thanks for the education on 22 being an externally lubed round. Didn't know that - guess that's why my other bulkpack, M22 is so waxy. At least it's easier on the fingers...

Dec 31, 2012
    OK, all info good to know... So that gold flake is purposeful eh. Guess I just need to use shooting gloves when using this stuff.

FWIW, yes, this stuff does run pretty dang clean for 22LR generally speaking. Oh, and Thuderbolts, yeah I learned that lesson on failure to fire loooong ago -I'll never buy a box of that stuff again... Should be called Thunder duds really.

Thanks for the education on 22 being an externally lubed round. Didn't know that - guess that's why my other bulkpack, M22 is so waxy. At least it's easier on the fingers...
    Thunderbolts problematic??
    Nah!! :innocent0
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=140998

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm a big fan of eley and wolf.....assuming you're actually able to get them. I've shot some cheap stuff out of my marlin 795 to where groups started opening up a bit from fouling, then switched over to wolf and it seemed like they actually shot out the fouling. Groups were big, then shrunk down as I plunked more through the tube.

In addition to being very clean shooting bullets, wolf is just amazing accurate. 3rdrcn gave me a few boxes waaaaay back at a delta shoot for use in the woods-walk and since then, I'm a believer.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hehe, yer not the first to mention wolf, however I've yet to ever see any in the flesh. Eley I've seen, but don't think I'm good enough yet to make it worth the buy. Maybe once I learn how to breath while shooting my also new to me Savage MK II G model. Would like to "master" that one using irons only out to MOS(minute of squirrel) or 25yds before I throw a glass on it. Perhaps I'll try some Eley there.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'm a big fan of eley and wolf.....assuming you're actually able to get them. I've shot some cheap stuff out of my marlin 795 to where groups started opening up a bit from fouling, then switched over to wolf and it seemed like they actually shot out the fouling. Groups were big, then shrunk down as I plunked more through the tube.

In addition to being very clean shooting bullets, wolf is just amazing accurate. 3rdrcn gave me a few boxes waaaaay back at a delta shoot for use in the woods-walk and since then, I'm a believer.

I like wolf as well but can't find them anywhere these days even with gunbot.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Just wash your hands before you do anything else (especially eat). Despite the gold-finger aspect, I actually find Golden Bullets to be pretty clean in my gun. If you want to dirty up your gun or do a failure test, try some Thunderbolts or Blazers. Not trying to flame a brand, just my experience.

Wash with cold water first. Don't want the pores to open up. Make sure they are clean before you use hot.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's

Indeed. I use Eley Match, well...for matches and Wolf for sweet 50yd cloverleafs.

After I shot a real deal MOA group at 100yds with the ELEY Match, I was sold for life. (Had to put the bottom mil-dot on the top of the target.) I do despise the wax on these incredibly messy, wonderfully accurate things.

Federal Automatch is some decent bulk ammo at close ranges, but opens up quickly after 50-75yds.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Indeed. I use Eley Match, well...for matches and Wolf for sweet 50yd cloverleafs.

After I shot a real deal MOA group at 100yds with the ELEY Match, I was sold for life. (Had to put the bottom mil-dot on the top of the target.) I do despise the wax on these incredibly messy, wonderfully accurate things.

Federal Automatch is some decent bulk ammo at close ranges, but opens up quickly after 50-75yds.

:thumbsup: Impressive! What gun and glass pray tell!? Annie or a Kimber I presume?

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    :thumbsup: Impressive! What gun and glass pray tell!? Annie or a Kimber I presume?

Hah! Hardly. A Ruger 10/22 with 20" Green Mountain SS .920 barrel and a Cheap Hogue rubber stock as the only add-ons.

There are some pics on this site somewhere of it and the targets. The barrel was the biggest factor. I swear by them. The scope was (and still is) a cheap Tasco Varmint hunter 20x power maxed out. I just won a 50/50 match with it after it's been sitting around cased for a few years. :thumbsup: One of my favorite rifles.

upgraded%201022.jpg

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Found the targets from back then. Both are at 100 yards.

The ELEY group was making me giggle with glee but grouping a bit low, so I used Kentucky windage to put the last shot in the bull.

The Automatch group looked more like a shotgun pattern. Aimed a bit higher on the last 4 shots.

eley%20100.jpg

fed%20am%20100.jpg

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hah! Hardly. A Ruger 10/22 with 20" Green Mountain SS .920 barrel and a Cheap Hogue rubber stock as the only add-ons.

There are some pics on this site somewhere of it and the targets. The barrel was the biggest factor. I swear by them. The scope was (and still is) a cheap Tasco Varmint hunter 20x power maxed out. I just won a 50/50 match with it after it been sitting around cased for a few years. :thumbsup: One of my favorite rifles.

View attachment 144516

That is friggin awesome! I'm not holdin my breath that they'll come out with serious target barrels for my 10/22 Takedown, but DAMN! :party29:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'd try Mid South Shooters Supply to look for Wolf. Or ask around on rimfirecentral where the guys are getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom