• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    I may be able to hook you up too depending on whats what. I work where a machine shop is and most likely could get them to hook you up.

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    Thanks for the reply's gents. I need to plead a bit of ignorance here as I know very little about machining. I have no clue if it has to be cnc...I would need to leave that up to those who know something about machining. The piece (a lower ak handguard) was cnc milled out of a solid piece of Delrin, which is why I mentioned the cnc part. Basically, I need about 1/8'' trimmed off of the rear in order to lock on the lower handguard retainer. I will admit up front that I would prefer not to drive a long distance to have this done, but if need-be, then so be it.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    That sounds trivial. Delrin machines very easily, no CNC required at first glance. Have you considered a belt sander like can be found at Walmart/Lowes/etc for about $30? I'd bet that would work just as well and let you creep up on the right length.

My mill will certainly do what you want, so if you end up needing it, let me know. I've built a few AK's and having the mill makes life a lot easier for little problems like this.

-Jim

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    A CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) milling machine works on the premise that you have either the wherewithal to write your own "G"-code, or for more complex geometry, you would need the original 3D model, for which, to generate "tool paths", for which the computer contoller needs to instruct the milling machine to follow. If it is a straight cut that you need, just to remove 1/8", or so, from something, you can do that with a conventional milling machine. If the cut edge shows, I would not use a bandsaw on Delrin, it will look like a beaver chewed on it, unless you want to hand file it afterwords, and then you better be good with a file. If it has a radiused edge, or a contoured edge it would then help to either have the original 3D model, from whence the toolpaths were generated. With all of that said, a picture would explain a whole lot, to include some sort of dipiction as to where you want the material removed, and rough outline of the contour.

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    Thanks for that explanation Dead Eye. All I have now is s shitty cell phone camera, it cant focus enough to give a good view. Below is a link to the handguard and the section that needs trimmed is all along the rear that mounts against the receiver. I am certainly not confident in my beltsanding ability to make this look good. This is my pride & joy build, so I dont want to do some cheapass job and screw it up. Where are you located Kingjamez?

http://www.autoburst.net/AKSU.html

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    Thanks for that explanation Dead Eye. All I have now is s shitty cell phone camera, it cant focus enough to give a good view. Below is a link to the handguard and the section that needs trimmed is all along the rear that mounts against the receiver. I am certainly not confident in my beltsanding ability to make this look good. This is my pride & joy build, so I dont want to do some cheapass job and screw it up. Where are you located Kingjamez?

http://www.autoburst.net/AKSU.html

You are quite welcome. It looks like you are trying to cut back on either flat end of the hand guard. If that is the case, you can have that work done on any conventional milling machine. With that wide a base, you DO NOT want to run that on a sander, or even file it, it will look like crap.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To translate what Dead Eye said for the masses :

CNC is great for complicated mass production.

For a one time job , any decent machinest can do it better and faster on an old school manual set machine.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    To translate what Dead Eye said for the masses :

CNC is great for complicated mass production.

For a one time job , any decent machinest can do it better and faster on an old school manual set machine.

Kinda... What Dead Eye was saying was although CNC is great for complicated mass production, it is also great for complex shapes. In this case, since the surface that needs machining is flat, a conventional mill would work MUCH better. I would not, however, want to machine that entire part with a conventional mill, even if it were a one shot.

You are correct in that for simple, one shot parts, I can have it finished before you get the code written.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom