• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    for buying a rifle at a gun show. Like say i wanted to buy a mosin or a 1903a3 or a lee enfield, that is used and is being sold by some vendor(private or full on FFL dealer) what are some of the things to look for, and do they alow you to check and inspect the rifle?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    yes you can look it over. condition is everything (especially the bore), with the exception of collectability.:thumbsup:

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    so mainly just look at the inside of the barrel? and of course check for the usual pitting and rust throughout the body?

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    If they won't allow you to check and inspect, spend your money somewhere else.

oh okay. thanks man. i wasnt to sure if they allowed you to, because ive never been to a gun show. im looking forward to going to acouple this yr, which is why i thought to ask.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Uhhh AK is a no go. According to your other posts you're under 21 so no regulated firearms for you young man. Or me either.

HBAR

future soldier
    Feb 13, 2012
    obviously MD
    damn. okay i will edit that out of there. thanks. lol i miss my state. at 18 can buy and rifle u want and walk out with it same day :(

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    90% of the Mosins have been arsenal refurbished and are fresh out of the crate. So if the stock finish and the bluing look new then you don't really need to go over the rifle with a fine tooth comb. If it looks worn then a bore check is called for because someone could have shot it with corrosive ammo and not cleaned it properly.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Gauge the rifle barrel, muzzle at the very least. If its from a reputable dealer the headspace should be good to go and the muzzle wear gauge measurement should be provided. If you are doing it in person and you don’t feel like buying the gauges you can do a bullet check on the muzzle and if serial numbers match you should be good to go as far as headspace goes.

There was actually a guy at the NRA gun show selling his personal collection (I was super jealous at what he had otu!) last weakened that encouraged me to gauge his barrels, he had signs on all the weapons with a description with measurements which was cool, and actually handed me a gauge! He let me borrow a dummy bullet to check other rifles around the show. It can be really helpful to find a guy like that at a show and chat him up! Usually they are more than happy to spill some knowledge out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom