• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It does a nice job on the deer. I really like the Barns TTSX 130gr for hog and deer, loaded with lil'gun.
    I zeroed mine with 110gr VMax and was highly impressed with the group I got from a factory load.

I'll check out your recommendation, if I can find any factory ammo. Going to shoot factory ammo for a bit, before sourcing over to hand loss for hunting. Breaking in the barrel and all that.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The 110gr Vmax at 2300+fps, gives really nice groups.

Made me smile when the 16" and 12.2" 300BLK would print well under an inch, consistently.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    What is the best/most popular zero for swapping between sub and super ammo? I want to say super @ 35yds giving subs a - .. damn, not sure. Is there a thread on this or should there be one?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    What is the best/most popular zero for swapping between sub and super ammo? I want to say super @ 35yds giving subs a - .. damn, not sure. Is there a thread on this or should there be one?

Go get a BDC scope and zero with supers at 100. The bottom hash on the BDC will be your hold for the bull at 50 yards. It is pretty insane how fast they drop.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here's a few pics to give a sense of the drop using a Ruger American 300 BLK.

In the second and third pics, the ammo box in the upper left are subsonics (300 AAC Blackout 220gr Subsonic Sierra SMK HPBT from FTW, Inc).

The rifle was zeroed at 100 yds with the Fiocchi (center box in the second pic).

In the third pic, I'm showing you the 50 yd target because keeping the subsonics on paper at 100 yds was inconsistent.

The target was horizontal (landscape mode) and the boxes of ammo for each 5 shot group radiate out from the groups. The unfired rounds on the target are pointing to my POA.

Whereas the supersonic ammo at this distance was printing 1.5 inches high, the subsonics (having the mass and velocity of a handgun round - even if the ballistic coefficient is different) dropped like handgun rounds, about 5.5 inches at 50 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpg
      IMG_4273.jpg
      99.5 KB · Views: 155
    • IMG_4276.jpg
      IMG_4276.jpg
      137 KB · Views: 154
    • IMG_4298.jpg
      IMG_4298.jpg
      101.2 KB · Views: 156

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Here's a few pics to give a sense of the drop using a Ruger American 300 BLK.

In the second and third pics, the ammo box in the upper left are subsonics (300 AAC Blackout 220gr Subsonic Sierra SMK HPBT from FTW, Inc).

The rifle was zeroed at 100 yds with the Fiocchi (center box in the second pic).

In the third pic, I'm showing you the 50 yd target because keeping the subsonics on paper at 100 yds was inconsistent.

The target was horizontal (landscape mode) and the boxes of ammo for each 5 shot group radiate out from the groups. The unfired rounds on the target are pointing to my POA.

Whereas the supersonic ammo at this distance was printing 1.5 inches high, the subsonics (having the mass and velocity of a handgun round - even if the ballistic coefficient is different) dropped like handgun rounds, about 5.5 inches at 50 yards.

It was truly surprising to see how the subs dropped, compared to how a super does. Definitely an eye opening experience.

BTW, did you get your 300 upper out to the range, to test it out?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Is the Vortex Strike Eagle with 5.56 drops a terrible idea? 1 - 6x for under $350 I would like to figure it out.

With my 110 gr. vmax load zeroed my 220 gr. loads drop 8" from that @ 80 yds.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not a 'terrible' idea, but for the money, the Nikon P300 is probably going to suit you better since it's reticle is matched for 300BLK ballistics.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Mine is a 16" barrel (w/pistol gas system) with a YHM Phantom flash hider. I love the damn thing. I have printed 1/2" at 100 yards with it.

Which barrel twist does best for sub and super sonic rounds in the same upper?

I have a friend at the office who's been helping me 'learn the ropes' about firearms. He's built a couple of AR 15s from 80% lowers and at at least 1 300 blk. He likes the uppers from this place
    https://www.hardenedarms.com/pageHome

He said to watch for sales on their site and to look for them on places like eBay too. Anyone here using their parts? Opinions?

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout

Seriously?

If that gun can't keep rounds on paper at 100 yards (assuming a reasonably decent sized target of 8-10" per side) then there's something VERY wrong with how it shoots. I would be sending that rifle back for diagnosis if it can't keep decent factory ammunition within an 8-10 inch spread at 100 yards.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Which barrel twist does best for sub and super sonic rounds in the same upper?

I have a friend at the office who's been helping me 'learn the ropes' about firearms. He's built a couple of AR 15s from 80% lowers and at at least 1 300 blk. He likes the uppers from this place
    https://www.hardenedarms.com/pageHome

He said to watch for sales on their site and to look for them on places like eBay too. Anyone here using their parts? Opinions?
    Mine is a 1:7.

Build an AR, once you do, you'll never buy one from a store ever again.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Seriously?

If that gun can't keep rounds on paper at 100 yards (assuming a reasonably decent sized target of 8-10" per side) then there's something VERY wrong with how it shoots. I would be sending that rifle back for diagnosis if it can't keep decent factory ammunition within an 8-10 inch spread at 100 yards.
    I was working through different mags with different loadings at the end of my time at the range. The supersonic rounds grouped nicely at 100 yds. I realized after the fact that my subsonic dropped too low to catch them on paper despite my guesstimated holdover. If I checked the spotting scope mid mag, I would have adjusted. Based on how tight the subsonic rounds grouped at 50 yards, I'm not terribly worried. Moreover, I'll be spending more time this weekend shooting subs at distance so might update this or another thread. :D

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Ah, so it was just the drop from the sight-in on a different load. Gotcha. I was reading that to say that the rounds just weren't grouping worth a damn and not even hitting paper. Next time aim for the top of the target. ;)

FWIW, my rainier-barreled blackout AR will put 5 subsonics around 1.5" at 100, which is plenty good enough for me. More load tailoring would probably improve that, but I don't intend for subs to be used beyond 100 very far, so that's more than adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom